Not sure if bed bugs, bat bugs, or bird bugs at this point

(11 posts)
  1. kenardensurvivor

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 7 2018 22:32:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm a summer student in a dorm and it has been hell all for the past two months. First a sparrow settled on the window right next to where I sleep and has been waking me up at 4 am every day. Then I get woken up at 3 am by a bat breaking into my room and whacking me in the head. Unrelated to the issue at hand, I also had a few weeks where I'd either get ten huge moths in the room or fortyish house flies at a time.

The latest in the saga are these weird bugs I found. I am not sure if they're bird bugs, bat bugs, or bed bugs at this point, given the living conditions this summer. I'd appreciate any help.

I scoured the room and looked in the seams of all the mattresses and pillows and have only come up with these three bugs, all seemingly dead for a while. I have found no evidence of eggs or shed skin or droppings in my bed sheets. I may be overreacting, but I had bed bugs twice as a kid and that messes you up in the head forever. Have been afraid of lint since 2009.

Please help me identify these bugs so I can sleep tonight (or not!).

[img]https://ibb.co/bWouK8 [/img]

2. kenardensurvivor

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 7 2018 22:34:00
    #

Login to Send PM

The second picture didn't seem to work

3. kenardensurvivor

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 7 2018 22:35:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Dammit! Please take a look at this one-- they don't look like anything I've ever seen

https://ibb.co/kjnbXT/img

4. Catt417

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 7 2018 23:27:37
    #

Login to Send PM

That does not look like one. BB are not long and narrow like that, they are more short and round. I have no clue what that is. Have you been being bit?

5. kenardensurvivor

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 7 2018 23:42:55
    #

Login to Send PM

If I am, I wouldn't know. When I had them years ago I had a full-on bed bug metropolis in my bed and didn't react at all to the bites.

Did you look at the first picture? That's the one that sent me in a paranoia spiral. It didn't even look like it had legs or a head, but it had those striations, which is what scared me.

Thank you so much.

6. kenardensurvivor

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Jul 8 2018 13:57:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Ignore this! Found out they were fly pupae from the goddamn fly infestation. Never been so relieved that flies are pupating in my room before, but I guess flies are preferable to the dreaded bed bug.

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Jul 8 2018 14:06:18
    #

Login to Send PM

kenardensurvivor - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Ignore this! Found out they were fly pupae from the goddamn fly infestation. Never been so relieved that flies are pupating in my room before, but I guess flies are preferable to the dreaded bed bug.

Actually fly puparia. The 3rd larval exoskeleton is what you see. The pupa is inside. The maggots would be on an animal corpse or some organic garbage left behind and maybe hidden.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  8. kenardensurvivor

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Jul 8 2018 14:16:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm still relieved it's not bed bugs, even if that sounds pretty gross anyway. I'm moving out in a week and it'll probably be much harder to transfer flies than bed bugs to my new location via my suitcase.

Thank you for the peace of mind!

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Jul 8 2018 14:17:40
    #

Login to Send PM

kenardensurvivor - 53 seconds ago  » 
    I'm still relieved it's not bed bugs, even if that sounds pretty gross anyway. I'm moving out in a week and it'll probably be much harder to transfer flies than bed bugs to my new location via my suitcase.
    Thank you for the peace of mind!

Flies won't go into suitcases. Basically will try mating, maybe find at windows or at a food source for depositing their eggs.

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Jul 8 2018 14:18:01
    #

Login to Send PM

No dead bodies in the suitcase, then OK.

11. kenardensurvivor

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Jul 8 2018 14:21:50
    #

Login to Send PM

We are scrupulously clean in my room, so they won't find anything to eat (I hope). If I can make it a week without finding maggots or being attacked by bats or wasps again, I'm home free.

Also- how serious is it that some wasps have taken up residence in a honeycomb outside my window?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

276,176 posts in 45,459 topics over 138 months by 19,974 of 20,737 members. Latest: ihatebugsugh, Ladybeetle, bedBugsareSatanic