Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Not paying for BB treatment is Property Management policy! Advice?

(10 posts)
  1. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 19:15:19
    #

Login to Send PM

It's official... found out that the official policy of my property management company is not to pay for my bedbug treatments. The bugs are nearly gone (were MIA for over 3 months) and now are back. Now it comes out that the PM won't pay anything above standard extermination fees (for cockroaches, etc.) For my last treatment, which K.O'd the bugs pretty well, they were only charged $100 something dollars.

So... I got the name and number of the local property manager's boss, and left a message for her. Waiting for callback. In the meantime, typing up a letter re. why this is not good business practice.

Other than that, I have scheduled a treatment from the same pest control company for tomorrow afternoon. He said he'd take care of it for $89. In a sense, although I am going to end up paying, I am relieved to know what I'm up against and I am also relieved to still have the same PCO treating my apartment.

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 19:20:49
    #

Login to Send PM

don't forget to find out the law in your jurisdiction about what the landlord's responsibility is with respect to bbs or other infestations. Then you can include that in your letter if it is helpful to your position.

3. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 19:24:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I have not been able to find anything specific to my region (New Mexico)... if someone else knows of something, please pass it on. Thanks!
    FOAB

4. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 19:40:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Please call the New Mexico Bar Association for an attorney referral. They may be able to get you in touch with some free legal service providers in your area as well.

http://www.nmbar.org/Public/referralprograms.html

Also, you may find some useful information and services at this website:

http://www.lawhelpnewmexico.org/NM/index.cfm

Good luck.

P.s. Although i'm an attorney in NY i am not admitted in New Mexico. I do not personally know the quality of the services provided by the lawhelpnewmexico website so i can't recommend them based on my personal experience. You may, however, find them useful. And if you do, please let us know.

Good luck.

5. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 21:29:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, Deedle. I checked out the websites... not sure if court would be appropriate, at this point I just would like to give them a bit of a wake-up call... I tried to download copies of the tenant rights but there is some problem with the PDF... I'll keep trying. Finding anything specific in new mexico law about exterminators (via the internet, anyway) has been futile...

6. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 29 2010 5:57:41
    #

Login to Send PM

http://www.lawhelpnewmexico.org/documents/471891Renters-guide-english.pdf?stateabbrev=/NM/

Try opening the above... if you can't then i'll see if i can send it to you another way. When you open the document if you put in the search term "infestation" you will come to that part of the booklet.

Also, i recommended speaking to a lawyer in NM not so much for you to go to court, but so that you can find out, definitively, whether landlords in NM are responsible for bedbug infestation treatment, but you can see from the language in this document that perhaps they are....perhaps they are not...

7. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 29 2010 8:37:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle, it still didn't open, I'll PM you my email address instead.

That's a good point... if the law isn't clear, it would be nice to get the real deal from an attorney. I know there was a man in New York who stopped paying rent on his infested apartment, and the judge there ruled in his favor. But I'm not sure that case would help mine here in NM.

FOAB

8. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 16:08:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: getting ready to sign a new lease (yes, we're staying here until April 2012 despite all)... interestingly, in the Extermination clause (in which they say that "owner may conduct extermination operations in resident's apartment several times a year and as needed to prevent insect infestation... residents must request extermination treatments in addition to those regularly provided by owner in writing...") they have added a clause to the lease that says:

In the case of suspected or confirmed bed bug infestation, resident will agree to the following:
    Resident will wash all clothing, bed sheets, draperies, towels, etc. in extremely hot water.
    Resident will thoroughly clean, off premises, all luggage, handbags, shoes and clothes hanging containers.
    Resident will cooperate with Owner's cleaning efforts for all mattresses and seat cushions or other upholstered furniture, and will dispose of same if requested."

What do you think this means? I wonder if they will start paying for bedbug treatments? ($100 every 90 days seems to be the norm for us... ) Does it mean that if we DON"T follow their requests to dispose of our mattress, etc they will... what? Take away our birthday? I need to discuss this all with the property manager, because it seems awful vague to me, other than "hey residents, you will need to do a lot of work!" Duh.

Oh, and it's been 104 days since our last treatment and my hubby had a neat little cluster of 5 bites on his stomach this morning, with corresponding blood spot on his white t-shirt. Right on schedule. ***Sigh...****

9. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 16:10:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, and I lost steam on the letter I was writing to corporate prop. mgmt.... never did finish it or mail it in. I know, I should have followed through, but I guess I was hopeful that this was all behind me. Bummed.

10. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 17 2010 21:07:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Last update on this: Verified with property management that this wording in the new lease means THEY WILL PAY FOR ANY FURTHER BB TREATMENTS!!!! Hooray! Hopefully won't need any more, but good to know

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula