not again...

(17 posts)
  1. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 0:07:28
    #

Login to Send PM

A few years ago I moved into a house that had bedbugs and it was literally the worst experience of my life that didn't involve someone dying.

Last august, I moved into a new apartment. Apparently they spray for bugs before each new tenant (my roommate just told me this yesterday). After my first experience with these little craps, I compulsively check my bed every time I change my sheets. I know the signs to look for, and I've never seen any since moving in here.

Then yesterday, I saw an adult bedbug and killed it immediately. I found nothing on the mattress, but when I pulled back a corner of the fabric under the box spring I found about 10 eggs and 5 juveniles in their 1st or 2nd stage. I squished all the eggs and juveniles, put them in a McDonald's cup, bagged the cup and threw it away in the dumpster. I then flipped over the box spring and found about 3 more nymphs tucked down next to the staples. I killed these immediately. Next, I ripped open the box spring, expecting to find it crawling with bugs. But to my surprise, I only found 2 more nymphs, which I killed. I then vacuumed inside the box spring. While I was doing this, I had leaned my mattress up against the wall, and at one point I looked u and saw a second adult climbing down the mattress. I caught it and killed it.

I then embarked on a roughly 14 hour journey of examining everything in the room. I checked inside my dresser, under my dresser, behind my bookshelf (which I dust weekly), inside picture frames, inside electrical sockets, where the carpet meets the wall, inside my closet, in my night stand, under my nightstand...literally everywhere. I threw away everything that had been under my bed, except for three books. I looked on the pages of the books and noticed 3 more eggs on one, 2 eggs and a nymph which had to have recently hatched on another. I killed all of these. I then went page to page through these books looking for any other signs and found none, but bagged them together to check for future activity. Since then, I have literally torn apart my room and I haven't found anything else.

Is it at all possible that I caught something very early? I still notified the landlord and am demanding that their pest control person come treat the place because I refuse to take any chances. I would just like some peace of mind I guess that maybe I caught it before it got bad and that's why I can't find anything else. I don't know if I should feel relieved that I can't find anymore adults, or worried that they're just hiding better than their babies. I'm hoping I killed the only two. I don't know. Last time I experienced this it took a severe psychological toll on me, so I'm trying to do anything I can to avoid that again!

Current fighter of bed bugs, survivor of one previous bout of bed bugs, and ironically enough I'm the IPM manager where I work.
  2. HifromChi

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 10:23:21
    #

Login to Send PM

That sounds like you've found a decent population of them, I wouldn't mess around trying pick them off one by one, they multiply pretty quickly. I'd definitely schedule inspection and treatment by a legit PCO. Save any specimens you find so you can get confirmation so they will treat. I'd do that soon.

3. mcsmcs

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 0:16:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel your pain.

4. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 6:57:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not trying to self treat or anything. My apartment complex's pest company doesn't work on Sunday, but I didn't want it to get any worse, hence my own inspection and killing of what I could find. The inspector came to my apartment yesterday and said I caught it very early on because he did a complete search of the room and could only find one nymph in a staple under my box spring. They will be doing a liquid treatment 2-3 times over the course of the next few weeks. I think I must have picked either a pregnant one up on a recent business trip or I just happened to pick up a male and a female. Obviously they got here somehow and multiplied. I'm just glad they didn't do so to levels that I've seen before.

5. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 19:09:22
    #

Login to Send PM

So tomorrow is the first day of treatment. In the interim period I had to go away for 5 days for a 4th of July vacation which I almost didn't go on but friends convinced me I needed a break. I shoved a towel under my door, as well as a layer of duct tape (sticky side up) and glue traps. Upon returning, there was nothing in the duct tape or in the traps. An inspection of the living room and my couch turned up nothing. However, I did find one nymph in my bed last night that came out around 9 PM because it must have been super hungry from my absence. I duct taped the area where my mattress meets my box spring, put double sided tape around each leg of my bed, and created a sort of duct tape skirt around the edge of my box spring. Not sure if anything happened in the night last night. I woke up every ~45 - 60 minutes. I'm sleeping very lightly and didn't feel anything crawling on me. I checked all along my room where the carpet meets the baseboards. Nothing. I haven't seen any adults since the first 2. I'm trying to convince myself that was it. The inspector also couldn't find any adults but did find a nymph or two.

Depression is setting in, probably due to sleeplessness and higher than average anxiety. I have lost 6 pounds in the last 8 days. For some reason I can't imagine that this will ever end, although I know it can because I've lived in a place where it has before. I also have a hard time believing they aren't in other apartments, but the inspector also did a search of the one next door and the one below me and didn't find any indication of their presence. I just want this to be over. Unfortunately I just recently accepted a new position at work which meant renewing my lease. On one hand, I'd rather leave this place. On the other, I'd rather stay and not risk taking the bugs with me. Plus I know that my rental company is responsible for treatments here, so I will bleed them dry if I need to. I have a plan for my furniture and couch. There are no traces of bugs on the couch because my roommate and I spend all of our time in our respective rooms and literally never sit on it. My plan is to have it treated and then take it back to my parent's shed where I will encase it just to be safe. Everything else is expendable. I will encase the mattress and box spring, but when I leave here in a year or so, it will go. I need a new one anyway.

I just want the first treatment to be over with. If for nothing else but some peace of mind, because I know it will take more than one to fully flush this away. I have also invested in Cimexa (or whatever it's called) and plan to dust it along the baseboards and around my bed once treatments are finished. I will also treat some of my belongings with it such as my books and loose papers. Much of that has been placed in large plastic bins and duct taped shut. I don't need to use anything for 18 months if it means pulling it out bed bug free.

Hoping this nightmare is almost over, or at least contained to the point of getting sleep. Cheers to everyone else going through this. I hope you're fighting the good fight.

6. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jul 13 2018 23:10:15
    #

Login to Send PM

First treatment is done. No signs of bedbugs since Sunday night when I was bitten by and killed a nymph. Yesterday I called my complex so they could read to me the PCO report. No signs of bedbugs were found when they sprayed, to the point where they aren't fully convinced I had them (I 100% did). Apparently the PCO suggested they may have been bat bugs and I'm like, then explain the eggs. Since then bites have been popping up, but I'm chalking it up to a delayed reaction or old bites being exacerbated by hot water since I haven't seen or felt any bugs since Sunday, my monitors are clear, my mattress and box springs are encased and my bed is in the middle of the room not touching the walls. Hopefully this has been contained adequately and quickly. Another spray will happen in 2 weeks and then a third inspection in 4 weeks. If there are any signs, there will be a third spray at that point. Hoping this garbage is all downhill from here.

7. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jul 30 2018 20:47:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I thought things were going okay. I hadn't seen any sign of bed bugs since the night before the first treatment on July 10th. Then tonight, I noticed a dead one on the rug in my bathroom. No idea when or how it got there. Then I noticed another dead one on the carpet outside my bathroom. FUCK. Then I searched my bathroom and found a LIVE nymph wedged almost totally under my toilet. How the hell is this happening!? Someone help me. I feel lower than low. I feel more depressed than I've been in years.

8. Bedbugnoway

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jul 30 2018 21:28:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi...I just wanted to say I read a bit about someone else finding what they thought were bed bugs in the bathroom and they ended up being bat bugs-long thread on here called “the most expensive sleepover ever” might check it out. I’m sorry your going through this.

9. Mf1616

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jul 30 2018 23:28:00
    #

Login to Send PM

mannrw61 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Well, I thought things were going okay. I hadn't seen any sign of bed bugs since the night before the first treatment on July 10th. Then tonight, I noticed a dead one on the rug in my bathroom. No idea when or how it got there. Then I noticed another dead one on the carpet outside my bathroom. FUCK. Then I searched my bathroom and found a LIVE nymph wedged almost totally under my toilet. How the hell is this happening!? Someone help me. I feel lower than low. I feel more depressed than I've been in years.

I’ve heard that finding them in the bathroom could mean they’re coming in from adjoining apartments. I would look into that possibility....

For the record, I am NOT an expert.
    My advice/opinion comes from past experience(s) with bed bugs and what I have read on-line.
  10. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jul 30 2018 23:41:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Mf1616 - 11 minutes ago  » 

mannrw61 - 2 hours ago  » 

I’ve heard that finding them in the bathroom could mean they’re coming in from adjoining apartments. I would look into that possibility....

Thanks, I plan on calling the property management tomorrow. I just feel like if they were exiting hiding places in MY room, then I'd be finding them all around my carpet. Granted my room does connect to the bathroom, but still, wouldn't they be heading toward me and my bed? Yet there's nothing on my encasements and nothing in my monitors. It's just confusing and very disheartening. My mental health really suffers when I have to deal with these bugs.

11. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jul 30 2018 23:44:56
    #

Login to Send PM

And I also don't understand how I'm suddenly seeing multiple life stages again. The first spray was supposed to hit any adults/living nymphs. The second one was targeted at any nymphs which may have hatched from eggs. So why am I seeing dead adults? Were they just hiding well or something?

12. Winthewar12

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Jul 31 2018 8:03:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi I feel your pain!!!!!! It's 6am and I haven't slept a wink. I feel itchy and experiencing extreme paranoia! I also had them 5 years ago and went through a hard time. Now five years later again a nightmare..... You are not alone in right here going through it again too!

13. Winthewar12

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Jul 31 2018 8:04:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi I feel your pain!!!!!! It's 6am and I haven't slept a wink. I feel itchy and experiencing extreme paranoia! I also had them 5 years ago and went through a hard time. Now five years later again a nightmare..... You are not alone I'm going through it all over again too SMH

14. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Aug 2 2018 20:02:19
    #

Login to Send PM

ALRIGHT BEDBUGGERS. I stayed home from work this morning so I could talk to the PCO myself and get answers. He confirmed that the stains that I had in my closet and around my room were fecal stains. HOWEVER he said that they seemed to be really old, and with the amount of fecal matter that was there, I should be seeing bugs. Like, a bunch of bugs. And since I am not, and there are no dead ones around my room, that led him to believe that it was from an old event that has nothing to do with this one.

Additionally, the pest company and the rental company are not able to tell me what is going on around the building (confidentiality, I get that). However, it was pretty clear he was setting up heat treatments (not in my unit), which I know they only do when the infestation is bad enough to not be controlled through spraying. And in asking him some questions, he basically confirmed that that was factual. I asked him "can you just tell me whether or not I was ground zero for this?" and he was like "I will tell you that you're not, but I won't tell you who is". And I'm like, that's fine by me and it's a load of my shoulders in thinking I started this thing. I don't know what I'm hoping to achieve in posting this. The guy told me he's going to be here pretty much weekly and is systematically treating the whole building. He told me that no matter how long it takes, they are going to get this building under control. He also said that because I am the one who alerted the rental company and got this ball rolling, I'm already ahead of the game because I've had multiple treatments while many units are just starting. He said between that and me laying down cimexa weekly (his residual supposedly lasts 90 days -- can't remember the name of the spray) if anything makes it into my apartment, it shouldn't be able to get out of control because it will hit poison wherever it goes. I'm just glad that I'm not the epicenter, although if I was, it would have made it a bit easier because it would have just been one apartment to treat instead of a whole building.

oh, and if any experts see this here's a question: I still get red pimply like marks on my skin (mostly on my stomach) that appear throughout the day, yet I've been given an adamant all clear from the PCO three times now. What else could be causing these red marks? I'm genuinely curious, because it's the most confusing aspect of this.

15. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Aug 2 2018 20:16:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I accidentally deleted my post? It's not showing up, and I don't feel like typing the whole thing out again. Basically I talked to the PCO today. He said that I have no activity in my apartment. But he was very clearly treating multiple units in the building, and a couple with heat. And I know for a fact that the company doesn't treat with heat unless the situation is bad. Which the guy said basically means that ground zero is somewhere in my building (he wouldn't tell me where), and that they probably came to my apartment from one of the really infested places. My guesses are from down below, hence finding them in the bathroom, or from across the hall, because all signs I've seen over the past 2 weeks have pointed to them being a major epicenter. They've since moved out and I guarantee they're taking the bugs with them because they never got treated before they left. That particular apartment is also having all of their carpets replaced, so that sounds like a "YIKES" situation. And they're the most likely culprits since they are right adjacent to me.

Can any expert tell me what might be making my skin react? I seem to constantly get multiple little pimply like things on my stomach throughout the day. My bed has been given an all clear three times now by the PCO, so I find it hard to believe that it's bugs. And with the number of marks that show up, I should DEFINITELY be seeing bugs by now, and I'm not. And neither is the pro. Just curious..

16. thirdusername

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Aug 3 2018 1:46:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert but maybe the skin thing is an allergy or stress.
    I would see a doctor if it bothers you.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  17. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 20 2018 10:53:20
    #

Login to Send PM

So it's been 3 weeks since the PCO did our 3rd treatment and various other treatments in my building. I have not seen anything since. Nothing in the climb-ups, no shed skins, nothing. I did have one line of what could have been bites, but I know that bites alone are not indicative of active bugs. I am also currently dealing with poison ivy and other skin problems, so really that line could have been a number of different things, I'm trying not to freak out. I did find 2 marks on my encasements which gave me a heart attack at first sight, but from what I can tell after researching, they are not consistent with fecal stains. They are not dark enough and they just seemed randomly placed about 2 feet apart from each other. No marks are found near the seams or the zippers or anything, and I can find no evidence of any live bugs, so I'm trying not to worry about them either. I "painted" cimexa all around both encasements just to be safe. This way, even if there is a straggler or two, they now HAVE to walk across cimexa if they want to get to me.

I'm reluctant to say it's over, but it's at least dwindling down. I'm not sure what else is going on throughout the building. The rental company is not allowed to divulge any information other than what is happening in my own unit, which has been given 3 all clears. Apparently the pest company is satisfied because I've received no notification that they are coming back. I just have this general sense of uneasiness, but I'm hoping it's just me still reacting to the absolute trauma that is bed bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,262 posts in 46,759 topics over 142 months by 20,630 of 21,514 members. Latest: jungr, laurwes, Cursive08