not again...

(6 posts)
  1. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 0:07:28
    #

Login to Send PM

A few years ago I moved into a house that had bedbugs and it was literally the worst experience of my life that didn't involve someone dying.

Last august, I moved into a new apartment. Apparently they spray for bugs before each new tenant (my roommate just told me this yesterday). After my first experience with these little craps, I compulsively check my bed every time I change my sheets. I know the signs to look for, and I've never seen any since moving in here.

Then yesterday, I saw an adult bedbug and killed it immediately. I found nothing on the mattress, but when I pulled back a corner of the fabric under the box spring I found about 10 eggs and 5 juveniles in their 1st or 2nd stage. I squished all the eggs and juveniles, put them in a McDonald's cup, bagged the cup and threw it away in the dumpster. I then flipped over the box spring and found about 3 more nymphs tucked down next to the staples. I killed these immediately. Next, I ripped open the box spring, expecting to find it crawling with bugs. But to my surprise, I only found 2 more nymphs, which I killed. I then vacuumed inside the box spring. While I was doing this, I had leaned my mattress up against the wall, and at one point I looked u and saw a second adult climbing down the mattress. I caught it and killed it.

I then embarked on a roughly 14 hour journey of examining everything in the room. I checked inside my dresser, under my dresser, behind my bookshelf (which I dust weekly), inside picture frames, inside electrical sockets, where the carpet meets the wall, inside my closet, in my night stand, under my nightstand...literally everywhere. I threw away everything that had been under my bed, except for three books. I looked on the pages of the books and noticed 3 more eggs on one, 2 eggs and a nymph which had to have recently hatched on another. I killed all of these. I then went page to page through these books looking for any other signs and found none, but bagged them together to check for future activity. Since then, I have literally torn apart my room and I haven't found anything else.

Is it at all possible that I caught something very early? I still notified the landlord and am demanding that their pest control person come treat the place because I refuse to take any chances. I would just like some peace of mind I guess that maybe I caught it before it got bad and that's why I can't find anything else. I don't know if I should feel relieved that I can't find anymore adults, or worried that they're just hiding better than their babies. I'm hoping I killed the only two. I don't know. Last time I experienced this it took a severe psychological toll on me, so I'm trying to do anything I can to avoid that again!

Current fighter of bed bugs, survivor of one previous bout of bed bugs, and ironically enough I'm the IPM manager where I work.
  2. HifromChi

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 10:23:21
    #

Login to Send PM

That sounds like you've found a decent population of them, I wouldn't mess around trying pick them off one by one, they multiply pretty quickly. I'd definitely schedule inspection and treatment by a legit PCO. Save any specimens you find so you can get confirmation so they will treat. I'd do that soon.

3. mcsmcs

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 0:16:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel your pain.

4. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 6:57:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not trying to self treat or anything. My apartment complex's pest company doesn't work on Sunday, but I didn't want it to get any worse, hence my own inspection and killing of what I could find. The inspector came to my apartment yesterday and said I caught it very early on because he did a complete search of the room and could only find one nymph in a staple under my box spring. They will be doing a liquid treatment 2-3 times over the course of the next few weeks. I think I must have picked either a pregnant one up on a recent business trip or I just happened to pick up a male and a female. Obviously they got here somehow and multiplied. I'm just glad they didn't do so to levels that I've seen before.

5. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 19:09:22
    #

Login to Send PM

So tomorrow is the first day of treatment. In the interim period I had to go away for 5 days for a 4th of July vacation which I almost didn't go on but friends convinced me I needed a break. I shoved a towel under my door, as well as a layer of duct tape (sticky side up) and glue traps. Upon returning, there was nothing in the duct tape or in the traps. An inspection of the living room and my couch turned up nothing. However, I did find one nymph in my bed last night that came out around 9 PM because it must have been super hungry from my absence. I duct taped the area where my mattress meets my box spring, put double sided tape around each leg of my bed, and created a sort of duct tape skirt around the edge of my box spring. Not sure if anything happened in the night last night. I woke up every ~45 - 60 minutes. I'm sleeping very lightly and didn't feel anything crawling on me. I checked all along my room where the carpet meets the baseboards. Nothing. I haven't seen any adults since the first 2. I'm trying to convince myself that was it. The inspector also couldn't find any adults but did find a nymph or two.

Depression is setting in, probably due to sleeplessness and higher than average anxiety. I have lost 6 pounds in the last 8 days. For some reason I can't imagine that this will ever end, although I know it can because I've lived in a place where it has before. I also have a hard time believing they aren't in other apartments, but the inspector also did a search of the one next door and the one below me and didn't find any indication of their presence. I just want this to be over. Unfortunately I just recently accepted a new position at work which meant renewing my lease. On one hand, I'd rather leave this place. On the other, I'd rather stay and not risk taking the bugs with me. Plus I know that my rental company is responsible for treatments here, so I will bleed them dry if I need to. I have a plan for my furniture and couch. There are no traces of bugs on the couch because my roommate and I spend all of our time in our respective rooms and literally never sit on it. My plan is to have it treated and then take it back to my parent's shed where I will encase it just to be safe. Everything else is expendable. I will encase the mattress and box spring, but when I leave here in a year or so, it will go. I need a new one anyway.

I just want the first treatment to be over with. If for nothing else but some peace of mind, because I know it will take more than one to fully flush this away. I have also invested in Cimexa (or whatever it's called) and plan to dust it along the baseboards and around my bed once treatments are finished. I will also treat some of my belongings with it such as my books and loose papers. Much of that has been placed in large plastic bins and duct taped shut. I don't need to use anything for 18 months if it means pulling it out bed bug free.

Hoping this nightmare is almost over, or at least contained to the point of getting sleep. Cheers to everyone else going through this. I hope you're fighting the good fight.

6. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 6 days ago
    Fri Jul 13 2018 23:10:15
    #

Login to Send PM

First treatment is done. No signs of bedbugs since Sunday night when I was bitten by and killed a nymph. Yesterday I called my complex so they could read to me the PCO report. No signs of bedbugs were found when they sprayed, to the point where they aren't fully convinced I had them (I 100% did). Apparently the PCO suggested they may have been bat bugs and I'm like, then explain the eggs. Since then bites have been popping up, but I'm chalking it up to a delayed reaction or old bites being exacerbated by hot water since I haven't seen or felt any bugs since Sunday, my monitors are clear, my mattress and box springs are encased and my bed is in the middle of the room not touching the walls. Hopefully this has been contained adequately and quickly. Another spray will happen in 2 weeks and then a third inspection in 4 weeks. If there are any signs, there will be a third spray at that point. Hoping this garbage is all downhill from here.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

276,179 posts in 45,459 topics over 138 months by 19,974 of 20,737 members. Latest: ihatebugsugh, Ladybeetle, bedBugsareSatanic