Not. Again.

(6 posts)
  1. DistraughtInTexas

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 29 2017 0:01:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been anonymously reading the forums since January, but finally created an account today. Hello!

Our bed bug journey started in January. The typical bites, blood spots,and finally finding a live bugger...then taking down my tufted headboard and finding the Las Vegas strip for bed bugs. I should have started charging rent. SO many in every conceivable stage of development.

I tried DE, chemicals, vacuuming, panic-stricken throwing away of things, bagging, laundering, traps on the bed legs. I thought I finally had them isolated to our couches, my husband often sleeps down there. We tossed one couch and wrapped the other up, threw in a chemical "trap", taped the hell out of it and didn't open it for 4 weeks. They were gone!

I thought.

We moved to a new house 4 weeks ago, approximately 8 weeks after our last bedbug sighting. Guess what I found crawling on me while watching t.v. tonight. Go on, you'll never guess. Not in a million years.

Okay. You guessed. A bed bug. Commence the panicked upending of the couch, whipping out the flashlight, and there they are. Maybe half a dozen all cozy in one of the seams. My heart stopped and if my head could have exploded it would have. What an M. Night Shyamalan twist.

So we begin again. It's only been 6 months but it feels like a nerve-wracking eternity. I need some words of wisdom and strength as we start this cycle over once again. Do chunk the couch? Re-bag it? I just unpacked out entire house...do I go through and spray every item we own with rubbing alcohol?

Light a match and walk away? Live under a bridge? No?

Right now I'm going to bed because I can't deal with this at the moment. But where do I start tomorrow?

2. DistraughtInTexas

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 29 2017 16:21:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I've encased the couch and tucked in a hot spot stick. Vacuumed, sprayed bed bug Raid in all the books and crannies around the couch and got some foggers to set off tomorrow. I know they aren't said to be effective, but frankly after reading stories of people spending thousands of dollars in treatments that are likewise ineffective, I figured screw it I'll try everything! I'm going to pull up the rug and launder it...I just bought a piece of padding this week to go under it. Don't think I can launder it...do I need to throw it away?

I wish I could afford a PCO. I've finally saved up enough from extra jobs for my much-needed new transmission.

I am so stressed out, my hands keep shaking. I need a vacation...but I'm terrified of hotels now!

I need someone to tell me that this isn't the end of the world and there are actually people out there that have conquered their bugs.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 29 2017 16:23:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Foggers can make your battle miserable by dispersing the bed bugs to places that they normally wouldn't harbor.

4. DistraughtInTexas

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 29 2017 16:25:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Seriously? Crap. Crap crap crap.

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 29 2017 17:29:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, do not use a fogger, it will make things worse. Do you have a picture of the bug you found today that you can post here?

The good news is that even if you did bring some bed bugs with you, it would be a much smaller and more manageable infestation. So just think and plan a little before you go off ripping the place apart. Sometimes all that needs to be treated is the bed and surrounding area, although sounds like your sofa might have arrived infested. You might want to do some more inspecting and monitoring.

Richard

6. DistraughtInTexas

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 29 2017 17:43:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't take any pictures, but I found 5 or 6 larger ones and some nymphs. Right now I'm washing all the bedding and putting the legs back in DE-filled tupperware just in case. I am hopeful it was just the living room but we shall see...I fluctuate between panic and despair, then gritty determination to kill these b@st@rds.

Thanks for the heads up on the foggers. Going to return them!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,827 posts in 49,817 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316