non toxic methods update

(2 posts)
  1. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 17:32:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I just found a cleaner at the market with orange oil that doesn't bother me so I've sprayed it in my bedroom (though not yet on my mattress). Earth Friendly Products Orange Plus. I wore a respirator and washed my hands afterwards. This is cheaper than EcoFriendly and readily available. I do think the EcoFriendly worked well though.

I put down the AFM Safecoat caulk in the bedroom and bedroom closet, and though there was protest I needed a "sealant", it is working really well. You just have to apply it carefully and it gets in all the gaps, make sure there are no tiny bubbles or holes. It is true that it won't expand like sealant so in another 6 months to a year I may have to touch it up, but no side effects whatsoever. It pastes on like glue, which someone else here used to fill in gaps. This may even be safer.

The DE was beginning to cause me some dehydration, believe it or not, bloodshot eyes, a touch of asthma. When I walked on it (no shoes inside), my feet were drying out! I was drinking a ton of water. So I wiped up the DE around my computer desk and will only apply a tiny bit under heat vents and in doorway entrances where no crossbreeze is and perhaps in some floor cracks in the bedroom and outlets. If I decide to put a ring around my bed once it is raised, I will have to apply it much lighter. I went a little nuts at first with it.

The bugs seem to be gone from the computer area and so now it is just the battle in the bedroom, though I am spraying down my computer chair daily and keeping the DE that is in the baseboards there and my computer table has climbups on the legs.

The packtite arrives shortly.

So far, so (mostly) good.

Be warned: there is such a thing as TOO much DE. But it didn't send me to the hospital right away just from the slight crossbreeze. Just a bit irritating and dehydrating and it has gone away. I really would recommend applying with an N95 or greater respirator and not running any fans or keeping windows wide open near it. I was irritated only be a slight crossbreeze.

peace-
    Amy

2. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 8:53:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok folks,

Amy here again with a bit of good news. My attack plan strategy seems to be working.

I first laid DE about a week ago. At first, the bites increased. I am assuming because they were irritated. I made myself bait with my air mattress on the floor so as to monitor their numbers. They were angry and biting hard! Two days ago I isolated my bed and yesterday instead of putting a dusting of DE around the bed, I proceeded to fill in every crack in the floor in my bedroom with DE. Two days: no bites. Not at night, not during the day, even though I've been practically lying on my bedroom floor to apply the DE. Today I caulk the living room and steam and do the same thing with the DE around the computer. I have isolated the computer with egg carton holders of all natural lavendar dish soap. I spray the plastic computer table, chair, bedroom blinds, and my fan every day with the all natural orange oil spray. I also just one time sprayed the cracks in the floor with it. Not per label, just to provide a knock down one time. It's not something I'd routinely do as it causes a lot of moisture on the floor and is too much work!

My biggest weapons in this I think have been the orange oil, DE and steamer and isolating the bed and computer area. Laundry and vacuuming help reduce the numbers, but do not provide assurance of their disappearance, they are merely control methods. Be careful of getting orange oil in your eyes!

Filling in the cracks with DE while wiping up any on the actual top of the floor has also greatly reduced my asthma, any bronchial irritation. I only have a light dusting in front of heat vents and in outlets. It has been a lot of tremendous work as between almost every thin floorboard is a crack, but it's working. My bites were just getting more and more and have suddenly stopped.

Oh the other thing is now that my bed is isolated, I take a shower before bed.

I will keep you updated as the packtite comes and I begin bringing stuff that has been stored for 3 months back in. I think I am going to packtite my air mattress and perhaps spray it with orange oil, then wash that up.

In a week or two I am going to purchase a futon, encase the mattress and isolate it, and a folding bookcase, just for some semblance of normalcy, unless I get bites again. I am doing this well aware if I move again I will be undergoing vikane.

Self-treatment is extremely labor intensive. I am only able to do it as I don't have a full time job or any children. I can't imagine many people undergoing such measures, including sleeping for long periods on an air mattress and only having one plastic chair and table as furniture but if you have the time, spend the $1000 on the best diy products (steamer, DE, vacuum): this warranties you until the products break, rather than 30 days.

I have very bad allergies, docs are talking immunotherapy now, so this is how I have had to do things. I hope and pray anything I am saying helps someone on here! I have had to do most of this learning myself and it's been a huge learning curve, but I've decided if I beat these jerks this way I will gladly help out those who are struggling with pesticides. My partner (who is a carpenter) and I are actually talking about starting a non toxic home improvement business!

Peace-
    Amy

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug