Non expert pest control used methyl bromide cans in our home. Help pls

(5 posts)
  1. Urgent_help_pls

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 27 2018 2:03:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! We were not aware until after application regd the dangers of methyl bromide gas. The pest control worker has opened and left 3 full cans of methyl bromide fumigant in our sealed home.

He advised us to only enter after 24 hours. How do we take precautions and proceed?

2. keephopealive

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 27 2018 5:19:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert but I always thought that was what they used to fumigate pallets in industrial environments and was banned for use indoors?

Until you have some confirmation from a knowledgeable professional I would personally not enter the property as apparently the gas is colorless and odorless and probably not something you want exposure to; its possible that it has been used correctly but I would always err on the side of caution with this sort of thing; much better safe than sorry.

I hope you get some info soon.

3. keephopealive

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 27 2018 5:28:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah, just saw the "non expert" part of the thread title; if I were in your position, I would definitely not enter the property until you've consulted a professional.

4. bugged-cdn

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 27 2018 18:20:38
    #

Login to Send PM

It's banned for indoor use in the US and many other countries.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 27 2018 19:28:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Where do you live? That seems like a strange application in the U.S. at the present time. The "professional" shouldn't be doing that type of application. It has some uses: "quarantine and pre-shipment" and for certain agriculture applications under a "critical use exemption" loophole or an emergency exemption.
    From 2015: Methyl Bromide pesticide - long banned for indoor home uses -suspected of severely poisoning a family after vacation home is fumigated. This happened in the US Virgin Islands.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111