Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

no signs of bedbugs but still getting bites - potential causes?

(4 posts)
  1. sunsetdriving

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Nov 4 2010 19:53:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone! I've been reading a lot on this forum and am really impressed with the amount of help people are giving. I'm hoping that you can shed some light on my situation.

I moved into a new apartment about 5 weeks ago, where I bought a couch off the previous tenant. A week later, I went to buy a few rugs for my bedroom, bathroom, and entryway. I'm not sure if these new furniture are the cause.

A few days to a week later, I started noticing bites - on my foot, legs, and arms. They are very itchy, and took about a week to heal (I have very sensitive skin though, as well as eczema, and I scratched quite a bit thinking they were just mosquito bites). A week later I had the pest control person come see my apartment, and he couldn't find anything. He did spray my apartment - my bed, couch, and all the baseboards. All was well for about a week, and then the bites started again (I do notice a linear pattern - I have about 4-5 bites on my arm in one line). I even had one on my earlobe!

The pest control person came again, and found no signs. I have turned up my mattress looking for fecal stains, as well as the couch (which turns into a bed), but have found no signs of bed bugs or fecal stains. He refused to spray again until I find actual specimens or signs, and I'm at a loss at what to do.

I've been vacuuming frequently, and have found no carpet beetles (which I've read can cause the same reactions). I've also set out flea traps (dishes of soapy water with lamps over them) but haven't found anything yet. I've also placed double-sided tape around my bed and on the legs, but haven't found anything yet either. I also bought pillow and mattress covers, and been checking every night for bed bugs and stains.

I've also read about mites, but it seems they only feed off dead skin, as well as scabies, but I'm not sure if I have them. I'm going to get an allergy test done in the next week or so, so I'm hoping that that might clear things up.

The only things that I can think of that are potential causes are:
    - the couch that was left behind for me from the previous tenant - bed bugs?
    - the new rugs I bought - carpet beetles?
    - I switched laundry detergent right when I moved in (I'm using the same brand, but just not the kind for sensitive skin which I had been using for the past year)
    - something in the apartment that I'm allergic to?

Any advice or tips is much appreciated! It's been really frustrating not knowing WHAT exactly is biting me, and I've been reading a lot into the kinds of things that can cause these bites, and I'm at my wit's end!

2. prairiemystic

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Nov 4 2010 23:31:51
    #

Login to Send PM

You might be getting bit somewhere outside your home (car or workplace)? But BB's would have showed up by now which makes this all crazymaking!

I had bites occurring overnight and set up some sticky-traps and voila! I caught a huge spider that was biting me at night.

I had itching crawling skin and thought it was some bugs attacking me, then I noticed when I changed brands of my bar soap (I use when I shower) the itching and crawling went away. The organic/glycerin soaps are the worst for me, surprisingly enough. Try different soaps/laundry detergent.

3. SearchandDestroy

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Nov 4 2010 23:52:27
    #

Login to Send PM

You'd be able to see the carpet beetles if you looked carefully enough...they're small, worm like but on magnification, look like midget catepillars.

Do your bites itch a lot?

Go back to dye free, perfume free detergent and see if your allergist will take a look at your "bites."

4. sunsetdriving

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Nov 5 2010 15:09:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks prairiemystic, I am definitely changing my detergent and see if things get any better, though I'm pretty sure these are bites - they're pretty systematic too, I just got ones a few days ago that are all in a single straight line.

SearchandDestroy - these bites itch quite a bit, and are red and raised/swollen. I got one on my earlobe and it felt really hot even, and calmed down after a few hours.

I haven't spotted any carpet beetles, but will do a more thorough search!

Hard to time these things, but I hope I'll have a bite or two to show the allergist! Thanks!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,719 posts in 45,076 topics over 137 months by 19,790 of 20,526 members. Latest: diatomaceousearth, Margo, ad44