Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

No sign of bed bugs after first amateur treatment, is this too good to be true?

(3 posts)
  1. bedbugssuckbad

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 5:30:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I discovered my bed bugs when I woke up at 4am to see two young ones leaving after a meal. Upon further inspection, I'd found one on the floor next to the bed on a bag, one under the mattress, and a bunch in the curtains where they seemed to be congregating. The mattress had the occasional tiny blood splatter and poop while the curtains were covered in it (I never open this one set of curtains so they probably liked the lack of movement, and it's why I hadn't noticed them sooner). Despite the mess, there were only a relative few; they weren't crawling all over in abundance, there must have been about 10, 15 max. I threw out the curtains and the mattress (the mattress had a tonne of holes and needed replacing anyway, figured better safe than sorry) and sprayed everything in the entire room with store brand insect killer since here in the UK, bed bug spray is hard to come by and I had to do something while I waited for the bed bug spray to come in the post. Luckily, I found the spray instantly killed any bed bugs it came across.

From reading the stories about how notoriously hard to remove these bugs are, I was expecting a big comeback... but as of yet, I've seen nothing. No bugs, no feces, no blood splats, and I've laid down a couple of these traps two days ago which have caught absolutely nothing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171798782445?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There's no electrical outlets in the (previously?) infested area, I've sprayed extra diligently around the corners and sides of the wall/ floor, and I have a metal frame instead of a box spring base, so that limits their hiding places somewhat, but I would have thought from their reputation that they'd find somewhere to hide regardless.

Is this too good to be true? Could I really have gotten lucky, caught it early and sprayed every bug, and thrown out every egg with the curtains and mattress, or is that practically unheard of? I'll keep diligent regardless just in case, but what do you think?

2. bedbugssuckbad

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Oct 22 2016 20:55:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Update, still not seeing any signs. For the entire ordeal to be over so simply seems a little suspicious considering the reputation bed bugs have, but I've not seen any fecal stains or anything on the bed and I've not seen any bugs or caught anything in the traps. Does this mean I'm bed bug free now?

3. Frauleinash

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 23 2016 10:51:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't want to alarm you, but I also don't want you to have false hopes, either... So I'm just going to tell you my story...

We found the critters first in my poor little baby boy's bassinet, and threw it out. After that, we vacuumed and steamed everything in the area. We searched for signs meticulously in every bedroom and in the living room, but saw not one single sign. We checked periodically here and there but didn't find anything for over a month, so we thought we were OK.

Maybe 5-6 weeks later, we discovered a colony living in our bed canopy. We thought that we were lucky, like you, and that we had avoided an infestation. I don't know if they were there the whole time and we just didn't look hard enough, or if there was a straggler that started her own colony, or if there were new ones coming from the apartment next door, but it's been hell since that day.

The only thing that you can do at this point is play the waiting game to see if you come across any. Do weekly checks of everything within 8 feet of your bed, I've read about these things hiding in the most clever places.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,564 posts in 47,013 topics over 143 months by 20,751 of 21,026 members. Latest: ThaiTraveler, byebyebedbugs, Nobugspls