Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

No physical evidence but bites. Called PCO...

(7 posts)
  1. abitbugged

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 1 2010 9:21:56
    #

Login to Send PM

My experience is almost exactly like this persons.
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/no-physical-signs-other-than-bites-help

I got a few bites starting this fall, but thought they were fleas. I would get them after my cat walked across my bed or sat down next to me.

Then about three weeks ago I got some really bad bites that were like welts on my hips. I thought fleas again. But after finding BB info online I called a PCO last week and he took over three hours looking for bed bugs. Found nothing. Told me it was fleas or a rash, but that he highly doubted it was bed bugs. I took some dead bugs I did manage to find to our local entemologist, who is a friend and collegue of the PCO, and respects his findings. Turns out my specimines were just dead carpet beetles. I was again told to see a doctor to be sure it isn't a rash of some kind.

I saw the doctor yesterday. She looked at the bites and seemed to be backing away from me! She said they were definately bug bites. That I had gotten bitten by something. And that I should consider fumigation. She didn't know what kind of bug, but suggested treating the house and to stop sleeping on my sofa. My sofa is the only surface I can tollerate because of injuries.

Now I don't know what to do. I haven't been bitten in almost two weeks. I really don't have the money for an expensive fumigation, but may have to do it anyhow just to be sure.

I would get DE, but I've been reading on this forum that DE is not dependable. And that some PCO's will refuse to treat if you have used it.

Any advice?

2. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 1 2010 11:56:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Consider trying an inexpensive passive monitor or a K9 inspection to visually confirm signs of bed bugs before starting treatment.

Try flat sticky boards, yellow fly ribbon and electric flea traps to capture other biting pest specimens.

Here is an article from Texas A&M about unexplained bites that may be helpful.
    http://citybugs.tamu.edu/FastSheets/Ent-1012.html

3. noway

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 1 2010 12:32:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Abitbugged - your story sounds similar to mine! Check my recent post about cheyletiella mites!

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 1 2010 18:05:34
    #

Login to Send PM

You really need to determine once and for all if these are bed bugs, and visual inspections are not always conclusive, especially at early stages.

You seem like a good candidate for an active bed bug monitor. Although they're too expensive for most of us to consider purchasing ($500+), many pest control firms have them -- the Nightwatch or the CDC 3000 -- and you could ask some of the larger firms in your area if they rent them or will employ one in your home. If you tell us where you are it might help find such a lead.

There's a method for making your own with dry ice, but it requires a certain kind of know-how (dry ice can be harmful if mishandled). If you want to go that route, watch the video embedded in that last link (from Jeff White) and do your homework on how to handle dry ice safely.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. abitbugged

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 4 2010 13:38:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going to make my own detector asap. I can't afford such expensive measures!

Thank goodness someone figured out how to make them.

I haven't been bitten for almost three weeks, I still feel itchy at night. Like it's dry skin. Like I am getting little stings. But not welts. I've never seen a bug. It must be my imagination. Or maybe it's fleas. But no bites. So annoying!

Last summer I did have something weird happen.

I thought a very fast spider ran across my face in the dark. Super fast!

But it was not heavy feeling like a spider. And very agile. Very fast.

I jumped up and looked all through the blankets but never found anything. But that was months ago, and if it were a bb my exterminator said I would see other signs by now. So he thinks the bites are fleas because I've had a few bites now for about a year. And I have three animals in the house.

Can a person have bites for up to a year and never see bb? Even if a professional searches for them?

6. abitbugged

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 4 2010 13:39:51
    #

Login to Send PM

By the way I will look up info you all suggested on mites and mysterious bites...

7. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 5 2010 22:21:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel that just about anything is possible. Could be a rash or could be bites I do not believe a doctor can precisely determine this in many cases. If it makes you feel better become pro-active
    and steam and clean.

I strongly believe in DE, that is Food Grade Fresh Water DE, strategically placed and proper
    precautions taken of course. I understand that DE can kill carpet beetles as well but our experts
    can answer that for us.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,544 posts in 46,823 topics over 143 months by 20,658 of 21,554 members. Latest: Sionainn, ykngrggpus, DoIHaveBB