No Offence... But I'll Never Be Back...

(9 posts)
  1. ParanoidEdmonton

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 1:46:38
    #

Login to Send PM

The Magic Day 55 Is finally Here!! 55 days with no bites, blood spots, signs, or sightings! Hurray! I am officially calling myself bb free! I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me advise in the past or even just cracked some jokes with me (I really needed those laughs!)

I won't repost my whole saga, but i did want to share my success story and provide a little hope. Most post on here are from people still suffering or who have lost all hope. Trust me i have been there! I Too at one point lost my mind from these little blood suckers!

My problem started when i moved into an apartment which was already infested (which my past landlord knew and didn't bother to tell me or take care of). It was spring and at first i assumed that my bites were from misquitoes (really big fat mean extra itchy ones ). i finally figured out what was really happening and tried to get help from the landlord whoc didn't think it was a big deal. I Bought matress encasements, had a PCO spray my place 3 times, through 30% of things i owned out.
    No Difference.

After a few months of that, i said "eff this" and i gave notice to my then landlord and found a new place. I Double triple and quadruple checked that the new place had no history of bbs. As i was taking a position as a building manager in my new apartment i was upfront about why i was moving and my now landlord/boss was understanding and behind me. Now the process of moving. I made sure to over lap my leases so i could move things slowly and carefully. (Double rent killed the savings... )

*Christmas decorations - Garbage
    *Leather couches - Garbage
    *Throw rugs - Garbage
    *60% of clothes - Garbage
    *50% of books - Garbage

*All remaining clothes, bed sheets, towels, coats, shoes (oh the shoe masacre), blankets and pillows all went through the wash on hot, then through the dryer on the highest setting possible for 2 and a half hours each at the laundry mat. (Over kill but i was not going to infect my new place!) Once clean, items were brought directly to my new place.

*Bought a steamer! Took apart livingroom coffee table, book shelves, and TV stand (ikea) and steamed every square inch of wood twice. Then i had a PCO Spray it all down again (Technically 4th time it was sprayed) I then brought those pieces to my new apartment and rebuilt the furniture, sprinkling a like DE in all joints before completely screwing pieces back together.

*Steamed my bedroom furniture still in my old apartment every other day(which had cost me a fortune, beautiful dark cherry wood sliegh bed bedroom set, only a year old... oie it still hurts) had it sprayed twice again, bought the matress and box spring encasements. Had no intentions of moving that furniture until last minute but my old landlord decided to just say i had two days to get out that's it, so i had to rush that and reluctanly moved the bedroom furniture into my new apartment.

I had been living in my new apartment for about 20 days, just sleeping on the floor, with no bites no signs of any tag alongs. Feeling happy and like i had beaten the BBs! Then i moved my bedroom furniture and by the second night i had a fresh "breakfast, lunch, dinner" bite pattern on my neck. Cried my head off in the bathroom when i saw them! Ran back to my nedroom and checked the glue boards i had put down around my bed and floor boards and i found three 1st stage nymphs. I lost it and gave up all hope. 5 or 6 PCO treatments, encasements, 2 steamers, all that washing and drying, moving, throwing out more than 50% of my furniture and belongs already! (I went from a 3 bedroom apartment to a small 1 bedroom) i lost all hope.

But Luckily i now have an amazing landlord so here is where my story changes directions. I called my landlord to tell her the bad news, positive she would kick me out on the spot since i was 100% the one who brought them in the building, but she just sighed and said well at least it's early and we know what to do. She hired a PCO who came out and sprayed my apartment and the ones above, below, beside.. (actually all 7 apartments on my side of the building). the PCO al sprayed the hallways and the laundryroom just in case one fell off while i was moving my stuff into the building. I threw out all of my bedroom furniture and my matress set. I didn't care that i most likely didn't need to, i wanted it gone since it was the reason i was back at square one! I then re-washed and bagged. resteamed. re-everthing. Since that first spraying in my new apartment i haven't been bite or found any evidence of BBs. I think any tag alongs went with the furniture or died a lovely death by that first spray, but my lovely landlord had my apartment sprayed two more times, 13 days apart after the first spray, just in case there were still eggs hiding somewhere.

So although my BB's were all dead and gone, the craziness they caused stayed with me! I wouldn't let anyone come over, i couldn't go to anyones house because i was afraid of spreading them. The thought of public places like restaurants and movie theaters were just followed with thoughts of OMG if i sit there BBs will jump in my pocket and i'll bring them home to start all over again. I was really paranoid and really BB crazy obsessed.

Then, This past thanksgiving (in october in canada), a family friend passed away from ALS on the other side of the country and i had to fly to my parents place in ontario for the funeral. This was a horrible situation but i really think it helped cure my paranoia and remind me that life needs to continue after BBs. The plane and the airport were tough. Although i was grieving i was also thinking, Edmonton has a BB Epidemic... Travellers from all over the world come through the airport, edmontonians trying to escape BBs came through the airport... And all i could imagine were the BBs hiding in the seats and on the plane. (My method of attack... Packed only a carry-on which i placed in a clear sealed contractors bag, so that my bag wouldn't come into contact with anyone elses. Once i landed i went to the bathroom and stripped everything i was wearing on the plane, opened my carry-on and placed all of that clothing, including shoes, in a second contractor bag i had for this purpose. i then put on clean shoes and clothes. (I laugh at this process now, but it shows how bad i was mentally at the time). Then i made sure my bag and myself didn't touch anything until i was in my brother's car. As soon as i got to his house, my "contaminated" airplane clothes bag went straight into his dryer for an hour. (he'll be sure to never let me live down my paranoia)

After the funeral, i spent two weeks dealing with things at my parents house. Dealing with the loss and with my craziness, and i realized that i couldn't shut myself off for something so trivial in comparison to other people's problems. (I am in no way saying that BBs are not horrible real tramatic things, but for myself, my complaints about BBs were nothing compared to my friend, still in her 30's who lost her husband and has to explain to her 2 year old daughter why daddy isn't home). Being at my parents place who i knew didn't have BBs, helped my get over alot of my BB Issues. I could wake up in the morning and, still in PJs, go to the kitchen grab a bowl of cereal, and then plop on the sofa and watch some TV. At home, i still felt like my bedroom was contaminated and like i had to imediately strip and shower as soon as i woke up before i could go to another part of my apartment in case a BB was on me somewhere. Talking with my mom about all of the little crazy habits i had developped, help me realized that although some are great preventative things to ensure i don't get BBs again in the furture, some things i would have to slowly let go of if i want life to be normal.

When i returned home and got the clean bill of health on the BB front, it was time to by some furniture again (after several months on an air matress and sitting on the floor to watch TV my back was pleading with me to get on that! haha) I went to the first furniture store and i couldn't bring myself to sit on the sofa in the showroom! I kept thinking, "someone else who had BB needs a new sofa and they came and sat right there, and now i am going to! what if they dropped a BB on there!" So i left the store without sitting on anything. Went home and cried in my empty apartment. But the next day i went back and tried again.

Eventually i managed to buy a new couch, matress and bedroom furniture. (haha the sales people at each store must of though i was crazy because the first few places i tried my boyfriend had to coach me to convience me to actually sit on something or try a matress out) I did have minor panic attackes the first couple of nights after everything was delivered, for fear that the new furniture somehow contained BBs. Lucky none of it did.

So here i am today, new apartment, new furniture, no BBs!!!! and i must say i am no where near as crazy! haha i've gone to several restaurants, i've gone to friends houses, had people over, ate breakfast on the couch in my PJs! haha life is basically back to normal the way things where when i thought bedbugs where just a myth, something you said to kids...

So again i thank everyone who gave me words of advise or hope. i wish i could stay on this site and help other people out, but everytime i come back here, i get the mystry itchies all over the place and suddenly that speck of dirt on the floor is a BB and needs to be inspected. So for my continued road to normal, non-crazy-BB-free life i am cutting myself off of reading about BBs.

Ultimate normal-test happens in about two weeks when i promised my little cousin i would take her to see the new Harry Potter movie... at the movie theaters! lol, its been a good 6 months since i've set foot in one of those...

Wish me luck!

I hope i never get them again and that i will never need help on here again!
    Best of luck to the rest of you! Your day will come one day!

(Sorry for the monster long saga! ahahaha so much for not retelling my whole story!)

2. toledo

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 11:09:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations! So would you say the moral to your story is "Treat the surrounding apartments" if you want to get rid of BBs?

3. SearchandDestroy

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 13:02:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations! Wow, what a story! I enjoyed reading it and I wish you continued bb freedom!

4. Bug wary

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 17:40:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations. Well done.

Hope you can answer one question before you depart. I live in Canada, too. From where did you purchase clear contractor bags? I've seen clear garbage bags intended for leavses but none of the heavy duty clear bags.

Thanks and all the best to you.

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 19:45:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Bravo!

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. nycyn

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 22:28:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for sharing all of that, and I'm sorry about everything you've been through. I also understand about that's it's time to stay away from places like this while you try to heal.

But when all and said and done, my wager is you'll be back because you'll eventually miss us.

Godspeed!*

* until then

7. tforms1

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 0:58:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I just have to give props to your new landlord.

8. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 22:22:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I second tforms1... sounds like a great Landy.

Congratulations and here's hoping you never see them again!

9. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 23:31:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Congrats!!! So happy for you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,173 posts in 46,246 topics over 140 months by 20,386 of 21,217 members. Latest: VAhouse, dontpanic, Koroifox