Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

No longer getting bites, but the bugs get bigger?

(3 posts)
  1. ohnopleaseno

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 20:31:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I will try to make this as short and sweet as possible.

I moved into a new complex last June. I slept on a mattress on the floor and around August noticed round, itchy bites on my arms. I would get a new set and some on my hands every week and a half or so. Freaked out, lost some hair, wondering whether it was bed bugs and browsed this forum and researched like crazy. I was working two jobs and about to start the school term again, and had moved out of a cozy home of 5 years due to a relationship ending very badly. So all in all, not a great time. I'm now living in a studio apartment that I split with another female. She, up until now, has shown no signs of bites despite having very sensitive skin.

In September I found a live nymph on my backpack, with a spot of blood inside. The same week I also found what I believe to be an adult on my sweater, but it was in a dark classroom and I shooed it away before being able to see it clearly. I came home and washed my only set of sheets in hot water and dried on highest heat, did the same for any clothes I'd been wearing. Basically since August I have been wearing the same two outfits with little variation in fear of the bugs.

A few weeks later I found another unfed nymph when I woke up one morning, hanging out in the open on a white cardboard box near my bed.

Right after this I ordered a metal bed frame and put all posts in Climb-ups. Continued washing and drying regularly. An inspector came and said we had a light infestation based on the nymph I found, but couldn't find the source and said we could get treatment if we felt like it. He also said that the Climb-ups wouldn't deter them and they could easily climb to the bed, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I got 4 bites in October. 4 in November, and 3 on December 8th, and haven't gotten any since. During that time I found 3 eggs and 3 more nymphs on a set of curtains that had been in a pile on the floor, I found them when I was hanging them up to separate the room.

I came home from a 4-day vacation on the 29th and noticed that my next-door neighbor had a sign on their door saying "Do not enter because pesticides have been sprayed." (It's a very large building of college students)

I haven't seen any signs (though it's difficult on this carpet) of cast skins or fecal matter. I haven't had any bites. However, this afternoon I found an adult (I believe it is a male) on the laundry bag in the bathroom. I live in Portland where it has been quite cold recently, so maybe the bites are only once a month or farther apart since they're hibernating or something? Anyway, it's odd to me that I've seen fewer bites but older bedbugs.

I'm extremely hesitant to get treatment because given the type of building reinfestation seems likely anyway, and our building requires a combination of heat and pesticides, which they will do 3 times without a charge. I have heard that heat treatment, even when done properly, can cause severe aging in electronics and books. Honestly I can't afford to purchase a new computer if it gets ruined, I am barely breaking even. I work full time and go to school full time or more, I don't want to let the problem get worse but I don't know how to find the time or energy to handle this. I don't understand why I keep seeing bugs but am not seeing bites (I react very strongly).

I know there are a lot of posts like this but any advice? Can I keep self treating? The bites dropped off when I started using lavender at night and put the Climb-ups in.

2. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 21:21:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Can I keep self treating?

Other than the climb ups and doing laundry, what are you doing to kill the bed bugs?

Account closed
  3. ohnopleaseno

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 21:29:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Nothing besides squishing if I see one, I've gotten 5 total by hand since September. At one point in early September I forgot to mention that my roommate had a friend of hers who is in pest management dust a bit of some natural powder around. She didn't know what it was made of, and I never noticed a smell or knew that he had it done until a week after. It's an old building so there's cracks everywhere, I haven't looked in every cranny but am working on de-cluttering as much as possible. I was thinking of putting everything in air-tight plastic containers and just wearing the same thing for another year :-/

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams