No idea where to begin

(3 posts)
  1. rhinopotaphant

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jul 6 2015 11:03:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't even know if I'm posting in the right section, but I am teetering on the brink of LOSING MY MIND.

I woke up with bites allll over last week (maybe slightly less than a week ago). They didn't itch at first (although they quickly did-and like hell). I suspect bedbugs since there's SO MANY (and I think I would notice a colony of spiders).

I feel like everything I read is so wishy-washy! Bedbug-sniffing-dogs can detect false positives, human inspection can fail... I've yet to see any evidence of any bugs (and I've LOOKED, with a magnifying glass, its basically all I did with my weekend), feces, casings, eggs... nothing. My son and my husband (who sleeps in another room due to sleep apnea) have no bites... yet. It's just me.

I think my main question is how to go about treating it. My son is just a year old and is starting to walk and constantly into everything. Dusting with DE doesn't seem like it would be a great idea due to inhalation for the little tyke, but chemicals could be dangerous and thermal treatment doesn't really seem like it would work a ton (since it seems to be confined to my room for now, I would want to just heat that room and drive them into every other part of the house).

I really don't even know where to begin. Help!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jul 6 2015 11:21:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Does not sound like bed bugs to me. If there had been a gradual building of skin irritations with obvious signs like fecal marks and cast skins that would indicate bed bugs. I would look into the possibility of another cause.
    If you find any evidence please post images so that we can provide a proper ID.

3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jul 6 2015 12:10:09
    #

Login to Send PM

rhino: I really don't even know where to begin. Help!
    --------------
    Hi,

The good news is that you haven't found any evidence of bed bugs. Bites, in and of themselves, are not evidence, especially at this time of the year. As far as any type of treatment is concerned, you don't treat without evidence, so I would put any of those thoughts aside. Treating without evidence, can not only be an unnecessary expense and burden, but it can actually make diagnosing your problems more difficult and could actually be counter productive to a future treatment.

My strong hunch is that you don't have a bed bug problem, but if you want more assurance then monitoring would be a good next step. Check out the FAQ's for inspection tips as well as pitfall/interceptor type monitors such as ClimbUps as well as harbonage type monitors that you can make yourself.

If self inspection and monitoring don't put you at ease, the next step would be a professional inspection with or without a dog team. Your concerns here are only partially correct because a good dog team will always confirm a positive hit with visual confirmation, and plenty of pros are very expert at inspections without dogs.

Again, I really don't see a problem from what you posted, so how far you want to go in this regard is really a personal matter. But whatever you do, just don't start treating until you get something confirmed.

Richard

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,821 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen