Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

No idea how I got them.. how do I then avoid them?

(4 posts)
  1. bitemelady

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 30 2016 1:47:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I had them in July--then treatments in July/August. Apartment cleared at the end of August. However, I have no idea how I acquired them in the first place, then how do I know what not to do?

I ride 4-6 city buses a day. Do I wash/dry my jacket every day? If not, should I avoid hanging it in my closet with my other clothes?

I teach at a university and attend many classes there. I have a shared office with many grad students (who live in dodgy places due to a low stipend)--not to mention undergrads who live in the dorms, where there have been BB and who knows what other illnesses. How do I not bring home something from the office/university? Especially in a library book or on my book-bag (which cannot be washed/dried)?

Maybe the week before it happened I shopped at the Dollar Store--I could have picked it up there; should I avoid the Dollar store? I also went up to a particular neighborhood the day before and walked around this 3 mile lake.. should I avoid going to that neighborhood, walking around that lake?

I had just ordered a laptop sleeve (the cloth kind) on Amazon right before it all happened.. AND a new pair of shoes with a cloth interior. .. could it be from something I ordered on Amazon? Should I avoid ordering things on Amazon that cannot be instantly thrown from the package to the dryer?

Any time I wear anything out of the house, I now wash and dry it, and all of my clothes are shrinking up because I continually wash them on high heat... especially if I ride all of these buses don't I need to continue to do this? I just can't really afford to keep running so many loads of laundry. Also it seems silly to dry my jacket every day, but I don't want to hang it in my closet if I just road the bus, then it could contaminate all of my clothes. (I only have one closet; it's a 400 sq foot studio. I have no dresser or furniture other than a folding table and chair.)

.. I still have most of my clothes in the jumbo Ziplock bags, although I've started to hang some up in the closet because it makes getting ready for work very difficult, digging through the bags. But during daily life, I just don't know what to do to not bring home bugs again. Riding the bus sometimes people's bags or jackets touch me.. and there's no way to control that, or sitting where someone just sat that lives on the streets and carries around bundles of bags upon bags and a sleeping bag.. I am just surrounded by risk. And now that I've been through it, I don't know how people don't think about it. Even in classrooms, I fear sitting on the upholstered chairs but have to. Not to mention, I will be flying home for the holidays (I haven't flown for a year so I know it couldn't have been from flying last time), and even though I'll order new suitcases (the hard-shell kind), I am terrified to fly through two major airports and possibly pick something up and bring it after the holidays back to my apartment, but in reality the every day "I am concerned about picking up bugs on the bus and on campus" is quiet but constant in my mind. If I don't know where they came from, how do I avoid them?

2. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 30 2016 3:57:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I am no bedbug expert.
    The resources section on this website is good. Here is a link to the section on suspected bedbugs in a location http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/bed_bug_precautions_for_home_visitors
    You seem to be very anxious about the whole episode and most of us are very stressed. If your anxiety does not decrease you may find it beneficial to see a therapist. Other people on this site have found it helpful

3. bitemelady

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 30 2016 16:15:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. Yes, I called my counseling center on-campus, and they basically said they suggested I not come visit them if I experienced a recent infestation (which is kind of dumb because I am on-campus, in four buildings at least everyday..). I can't really afford to see someone outside of my network/plan following the expense of treatment and re-buying everything that I disposed of (suitcases, a new vacuum with a bag--instead of just an open container, etc.).

In the last month I had been fine--getting better about it, but I saw a representative from the exterminator company going into a building on-campus maybe two weeks ago, and I think seeing the company/logo/truck triggered fear that they are on-campus (when it is possible that he was there for some other pest). Now every time I put my jacket/bag on a desk or sit down, I am thinking about it.

4. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2016 12:20:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad you are ok despite no help from the on campus therapist! Quite a few airports have shrinkwrap facilities for suitcases. You could see if you could get yours wrapped but it isn't that normal to get bedbugs in your luggage whilst the cases are in transit

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,636 posts in 50,004 topics over 154 months by 21,866 of 22,347 members. Latest: gingerstelpa, jaa5108, fightingback