No evidence of infestation...treat?

(13 posts)
  1. panickedmom

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2015 15:38:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Please help me unscramble my brain as I am panicked. When changing my son's sheets in his crib, I found a dead bug on the mattress which I feel very confident is a dead bedbug. When I got the sheets out of the crib there was a few "ink" like dots on the crib sheet next to where I had found the bug. I literally tore the room up, going through all of the bedding with tweezers and taking outlets off walls. We can not find any other evidence of bugs, no other staining, nymphs or eggs. My son has never had any bites, nor has my husband or I in our home, which a newly built, single family home. I should mention this was found on top of the vinyl mattress, under the sheet. I layer multiple sheets and change the top one if it becomes soiled and replace it, so I have no time frame of how long it has been there...could be months. Our bed also has zero evidence of bugs. The only sources I can think of is 1 month ago we stayed in a Hilton, in which my son slept in their metal crib. When we arrived home at 1 am, he was put in his crib in his sleep sack which had not been washed. Also, my husband traveled and came home with an itchy arm, which we had attributed to the fact that he was working with fiberglass. No itching since then.
    I have been freaking out...laundering things on hot literally around the clock and have been hysterical. I don't feel like I can leave the house but I certainly don't want to be here either. Today we had an pest control rep come. His response was "where there is one there is more", which I understand but he did not even look at the bug (it was in a container about 5 feet away) but he felt confident saying it was an adult female who had fed and laid eggs. I asked about bringing in the dogs his company advertises and he suggested that the handler can just signal for the dog to "find something" and that it wasn't needed. His recommendation was to do heat therapy to the whole house for $3k. No other options or possibilities. I have no idea what to do. I feel sick to my stomach at the idea of laying my son in that crib and waiting for a possible infestation to erupt but does it see rash to jump to that treatment without any evidence on the inspection? We would have to drain our savings account for this. Any suggestions? We have another pest control coming tomorrow and hope to get a better feeling from them. I don't know that I can go out or to families houses until I feel like there is no chance we are carrying it but the lack of evidence makes me second guess all that money? Is it possible that there was just one? Thank you for any opinions, I have been crying all afternoon.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2015 15:46:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Post an image of the bug you found so that we can give you a positive ID. A PCO that didn't bother to look at your sample, found no evidence and wanted to charge you 3K for a problem that may or may not exist? I don't think you should speak with that person ever again.

3. panickedmom

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2015 16:06:11
    #

Login to Send PM

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2015 16:17:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Bigger pic please?

5. panickedmom

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2015 16:36:30
    #

Login to Send PM

is that better?

6. panickedmom

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2015 16:40:54
    #

Login to Send PM

7. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2015 17:39:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear panickedmom,

From the picture you posted (which is not very good), it does appear to be a bed bug (I would normally add in here "or close relative") but since you found the bug in the bed with what appears to be fecal, I would say it's safe to say bed bug. I hope one of the experts can confirm for you based on the picture provided.

You ask “Is it possible that there was just one?” Yes it is possible and the evidence that you found (and the lack of additional bugs, evidence, etc.) would support that theory (in my opinion, but I am not an expert).

My first suggestion would have been to get a thorough inspection from an experienced, competent professional. That is not what you got . . . and as BigDummy stated, you should not speak with that PCO/person again.

Normally, finding the evidence of a bed bug would be enough to begin treatment. However, your circumstances are not warranting it at this point in my opinion. I am glad you have another PCO coming tomorrow. Hopefully, they will do a thorough inspection, including your son’s room, your room, possibly the sofa/couch in the living room or wherever you and your family spend significant time. If they do not, search until you find one that will.

If no further evidence can be found by a competent and experienced bed bug professional who performed a thorough inspection, then you may be able to simply monitor to confirm that there are no other bed bugs in your home.

panickedmom -  » 
    I don't know that I can go out or to families houses until I feel like there is no chance we are carrying it but the lack of evidence makes me second guess all that money?

There is a FAQ on how to “travel” or go places without spreading bed bugs. I have seen it stated on here that in low level infestations that the risk of spreading them is not very high. And, yes, IMO you need to talk to several others PCOs before deciding what you need to do regarding treatment.

Here is the FAQ regarding how not to spread them:

http://bedbugger.com/2006/11/02/faq-how-can-i-avoid-spreading-bedbugs-to-others-when-i-visit-their-homes/

I know it’s a lot to take in when your mind is full of nothing but panic, but here is a link to the FAQs. They are very information on probably just about anything you ever wanted to know about bed bugs.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/faqs-about-bed-bugs-for-bedbugger-forum-users

Since the bed bug was found in your son’s room, I would check his diaper bag and also the luggage you used to travel, if you haven’t already.

panickedmom -  » 
    . . . . I am panicked. . . . I have been freaking out . . . and have been hysterical. . . I have been crying all afternoon.

I know it’s very stressful and I’m sorry you are having to deal with bed bugs. But please tell yourself that there are people that know how to help you and you will get rid of them and get through this. Also, people get bed bugs and people get rid of bed bugs.

Let us know what the PCO tomorrow says, and we will go from there, ok?

8. panickedmom

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2015 18:04:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for your reply, and sorry for the poor picture. I honestly and certain it is a bed bug. Before I was a stay at home mom I was a nurse and had taken care of patients with bed bugs and had sent some to the epidemiologist for verification and remember what they look like. We will wait to see what the guy says tomorrow but I am not sure I see a situation in which we do not treat. I guess I was just kind of bewildered by our "inspection" from today and didn't know if that was the norm. I could tell the guy wanted to get out of my house (I would too!) and didn't have give any guidance on what I should be doing to eliminate transmission or movement through the house. I just didn't feel confident in the "we will heat your house and then you are done with it" from what I read. IF we have to spend this money and put all this effort in, I want to make sure we are doing it right.

9. mm650

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2015 19:47:21
    #

Login to Send PM

We just did a heat treatment last Friday. And yes, we spent $3k to do it. I was sure it did the job. But Monday, I got 1 bite, n now 2 additional bites since then. I am now panicked n just sick. I have never seen them. Just 1 dead one after their treatment, but I've never seen one crawl or any fecal matter. N we have sinced thrown out most of our furniture after heat treatment. I called Orkin for a follow up because of the bites I was getting after treatment. They said they may now have to resort to preventative chemical treatment. Which I thought chemicals could ever kill bedbugs cuZ they've become susceptible to them. Unless they've now got knowledge of other chemicals???
    But I totally understand panickedmom-i am a mother of 3. I am the only one getting bit. But I can gladly say that I'd rather be the one than my kids.

10. panickedmom

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2015 16:01:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wanted to follow up to my post yesterday. A much much better day. We had two separate PCOs come out today who were sooo kind and helpful. Neither could find any evidence anywhere in the house besides the dead bug. Neither one recommended treatment at this time besides precautions that we should have in pace anyways because of travel. We are obsessively washing/drying/bagging everything, encasing mattresses, getting rid of our fabric wrapped headboard and dust ruffles....things that will make it easier to monitor in the future. I will be aggressively vacuming, drying and just for peace of mind, replacing the crib mattress and crib (similar cost to just encasing it). Both felt that we won't be seeing any more bugs and that it is under control but such a better experience. Thanks for your help!

11. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2015 17:39:48
    #

Login to Send PM

That is Fabulous news panickedmom!

I know this is probably a silly question at this point (but I'm going to ask it anyway) . . .

Did you check the luggage you all used while traveling, and the baby's diaper bag?

Good Luck in your monitoring and I'm glad the PCOs today were better than yesterday's!

Oh, one more question I'm just curious about. Since you found the bed bug in your baby's crib, had you noticed any bites on him? Again, just curious.

Good Luck!

12. panickedmom

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 21 2015 8:54:19
    #

Login to Send PM

My luggage had gotten torn on the trip so I had thrown it away already when we got home and have laundered his diaper bag. And no, I have never seen any bites on him or myself. Last night we found some more "ink" stains on a spare set of pillow cases for our master bedroom so we are back a square one. I don't believe just one bug would be in both rooms and feed that much alone. I can't function. I can't eat or sleep and am so anxious I am throwing up. I tried to call the pest company but that department won't be in until monday. Looks like he will be treating.

13. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 21 2015 12:07:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear pmom,

That is a discouraging discovery of course, but are you sure the marks are the same as in the baby's room? Can you post a pic?

The potential good news is that you've had three PCO inspections (wait let's don't count the first one because he was horrible) . . . You've had two PCO inspections that found no evidence. At this point we don't know what those marks are. They really could be unrelated to bed bugs.

But even if they are bed bug related, it really sounds like you caught it early and its a very light infestation . . . If an infestation at all!

Please try to calm down a little bit. Let's wait to see what the PCO had to say.

As a side note, there is a product called Bed Bug Blue that a lot of posters use to test for fecal. I'm not suggesting that you buy some at this point, but just letting you know its out there in case you need it in the future for peace of mind.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,187 posts in 50,134 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92