Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

No bites or bugs seen...and Heat Treatment coming up! Is this common?

(5 posts)
  1. anxiety13

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 19:27:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Backstory: Hubby first noticed bites on his arms 2.5 weeks ago, (8/2).
    He had just returned from a work trip and a weeklong stay at a hotel. Thought it was poison ivy, then he noticed more and calamine lotion wasn't cutting it. We checked for bed bugs/fecal matter and found them in our couch and curtains in the living room with fecal on the throw pillows (Hubby sleeps on the couch most nights due to his having to wake at night for one of his jobs)

8/8 - Called pest control who came and sprayed the next day (8/9). Did not do an inspection first, just came and sprayed and scheduled another for 7 days later.
    They were here a total of TEN minutes for our 3 bedroom, 2 story home.
    I didn't feel confident with this so I called another company who came out to inspect on 8/12. Couch was gone at this point but he found a live bug and casing in the recliner. 1 live bug in my daughter's room, casing in our room and nothing in my son's room. Scheduled Heat Treatment for next week 8/30.

As of my typing this (8/19) we have been prepping for a week and have not seen a single bug or casing. My husband (the only one who reacts) hasn't seen a new bite in 6 days. Is it possible the first company got rid of them in one spray? ten minutes for a whole house? or are they just hiding realllly well and not biting? We have a super expensive heat treatment coming up and I don't wanna do it if they are gone.....

2. Meowgoesthecat

Account suspended

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 20:17:32
    #

Login to Send PM

It's not unheard of for bedbugs to survive the first attempt... It depends on what extent the house was infested in the first place to the possibility.

3. Meowgoesthecat

Account suspended

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 20:21:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, and it's ultimately up to you. If you've really seen no bites, it probably won't hurt to get someone to look around again. Or get a dog out..

Well, that's still unreliable...

Bedbugs feed around every 2-10 days if I remember correctly.

4. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 22:28:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Careless spraying that only takes ten minutes might have just driven them into hiding (and in even WORSE spots!) until the chemicals fade. Remember, bed bugs can last a very, very long time without a meal. I only hope that your first "treatment" didn't drive them into the wall voids. If so, you will need that heat treatment, because that or fumigation are the only two methods that I know of that will work if they get into the wall voids in your home.

You may want to invest in some monitors. I wouldn't depend on your husband's bites alone to be a bed bug radar, especially considering how many rooms in the house they were found in. He wouldn't exactly be sleeping in the other bedrooms, I doubt, and if your daughter doesn't react to bites and one was found in her room....

You could get a dog to sniff, but I'd feel certain that you may want to keep the heat treatment option on schedule. That, however, is just me. I'm "not an expert". I'd let the ones on here give you a better judgement call.

Formerly BeenBuggedMidoriBird
  5. anxiety13

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 7:52:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Bumping....8 days now with no sightings or bites.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956