Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Resources

NJ state bedbug handouts

(6 posts)
  1. Bugbitten Meg

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 26 2016 9:19:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Our school nurse has added some 'public health' type handouts to the bottom of her webpage, mostly lice but there's also a bedbug section. Looks like they're from NJ State's public health stockpile. I'm linking to handouts in the same order she did.

The first one she linked to was a sterifab use guidelines... Isn't that pretty ineffective on a full mattress, unless you literally pickle it?
    http://parsippanymtes.ss9.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_28702/File/Parents_Students/Nurse/guidemattressdisin.pdf

Here's the overall 'bedbug control for homes' sheet, nowhere near as sterifab-heavy, but it's still in there as a valid mattress treatment:
    http://parsippanymtes.ss9.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_28702/File/Parents_Students/Nurse/bedbugctrlhomes.pdf

The bedbug fact sheet: not news to anybody here
    http://parsippanymtes.ss9.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_28702/File/Parents_Students/Nurse/bedbugfactsheet.pdf

and an extremely NJ specific state inspection info sheet:
    http://parsippanymtes.ss9.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_28702/File/Parents_Students/Nurse/bedbuginspections.pdf

so, everything but the last one, any pros got opinions?

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 26 2016 10:52:54
    #

Login to Send PM

They must have copied from somewhere and it wasn't vetted by anyone knowledgeable.
    Info sheets describe adult bed bug poorly and never mention the nymph stages.
    Sterifab and Microban used in this context is for disinfecting, not insecticidal use -- bed bugs aren't mentioned in this article. Sterifab works on direct contact, not when it dries. Other articles: Boric acid is advocated and doesn't work for controlling them. Spray pyrethrum or DDVP for mattress infestation because are non-residual? IGRs actually not recommended. Pyrethrins/pyrethrum - I don't believe the writer understands the differences in chemical names. Mattress covers for bed bugs not mentioned only dust mites or plastic ones. Thermal death point is 122F. There's more but I'll stop here except to say that the format - use of pictures placed in the center of a paragraph makes reading very difficult.
    The one on health and senior services is good - it basically lists websites.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. Bugbitten Meg

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 26 2016 11:45:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Many thanks for checking 'em. Mind if I quote you? Also, do you know of a better-written & fact-checked but functionally equivalent set out there that I can point to, as 'what it ought to look like'?

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 26 2016 14:46:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugbitten Meg - 2 hours ago  » 
    Many thanks for checking 'em. Mind if I quote you? Also, do you know of a better-written & fact-checked but functionally equivalent set out there that I can point to, as 'what it ought to look like'?

Sure, you can quote me, but I didn't form complete sentences and directed references to the actual wording in the documents.
    I'm sure other professionals will be commenting.

5. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 26 2016 16:08:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I glanced through it. Content seems kind of dated. I didn't see any mention of DE or Cimexa or references to pesticide resistance. Did you see the recent story on how bedbugs at different growth stages may prefer specific colors?

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  6. Bugbitten Meg

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 26 2016 21:26:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Just found it... If nobody else has posted about it in the forum yet, I'll go run the CNN version out.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,644 posts in 50,005 topics over 154 months by 21,867 of 22,348 members. Latest: jaa5108, fightingback, Jenloaa