Next time I'll think before going away for a long weekend! :(

(5 posts)
  1. trishart@att.net

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 22:58:51
    #

Login to Send PM

My boyfriend and I went on what was to be a romantic getaway to a “nice” hotel in Chicago. Looking back now, I wish we never left home. At first, we thought the bites were from mosquito's. The numbers of bites were getting worse and the itch was driving us crazy, so on the 3rd evening of our stay, we spoke with the manager who assured us that there was nothing wrong with the room, but would upgrade us to another room. We moved into the other room, but our problems did not go away. We both still had the itchy red welts on our bodies, but my skin felt as though it was on fire and we decided to end our stay and just go home.

When we got home we unpacked, washed our clothes and went about life. About 2 weeks later our lives spiraled into turmoil! The itchy red welts were back and I went to the doctor only to have her confirm what I suspected. The beautiful 5-star hotel was much more than I bargained for, as we brought home guests. BED BUGS!! .

I called a company that specializes in bed bugs (Illinois Bed Bug Dog), told them about the recent trip, our bites and what my doctor had said. There was some prep-work to be done before they could come out to treat, but I was very happy they reacted as fast as they did as they confirmed we had bed bugs. The technicians were very helpful in answering all my questions and although at this point I was a bit hysterical, they were wonderfully reassuring. They had us throw out our luggage, which was infested (no surprise there), and buy covers to encase our bed and pillows. The owner Cliff came to my house that 2 weeks later with the dog that sniffs for bed bugs just to be sure they were gone. That was not only a relief, but that night was probably the first real sleep I had had since the whole ordeal started.

It has now been 2 months without incident and I am grateful to Cliff and his company, Illinois Bed Bug Dog for getting rid of our un-wanted guests.

Next time I want to get away, I’ll get some Calgon and a candle.

Anonymous

2. SearchandDestroy

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 23:16:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh man...that stinks, but it sounds like you got it resolved very quickly and found a really good company to help you. Live and learn.

I'm right there with you..granted I didn't get mine from a 5 star, more like a 3 star..but an unwanted conclusion to what was a fun trip. And then 3 months of hell. It took us longer to figure out that we had them, which lead to longer treatment time.

I'm not sure I'll ever stay in a hotel again...

3. scaredsilly

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 23:30:35
    #

Login to Send PM

So jealous! I got mine from a nice bed and breakfast and four months later I am still battling. Congrats on finding a great PCO and being bb free!

4. Blue_Ox

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 23:41:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for your trouble and glad that you got rid of them. Did you join the board just to recommend the company you used?

5. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Nov 4 2010 0:11:12
    #

Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,173 posts in 46,246 topics over 140 months by 20,386 of 21,217 members. Latest: VAhouse, dontpanic, Koroifox