Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

heat treatment effective for single family home?

(11 posts)
  1. gqbrooks

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 20 2016 22:36:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs are literally driving me mad.

about 6 weeks ago I noticed bites on my arms after visiting home (I lived in another state for work). Dr. said it was scabies and treated with cream. Next trip home the bites came on arms and legs. Dr. said they were likely bed bugs. Hubby checked and sure enough found a few bugs in our bedskirt and box spring. I had a PCO out within 2 days and they treated our bedroom with 2 sprays. 2 days later we found bugs in son's room. I had a second PCO come out and they treated the entire house with 3 different sprays. Fast forward to now. We have had 2nd treatment.

I am the only person that is allergic. I now live in the home full time and I feel I am losing all sense of reason. I find both dead bugs and have found a few live ones between both rooms. Hubby says they are likely trying to escape. I am certain they are trying to escape to me!

I am now investigating thermal remediation, but have seem multiple mixed reviews. We live in a single family home. We are fairly certain that the bugs came from a hotel stay. I have purchased a zappbug heater for future prevention. We have encased all pillows, mattresses and new boxsprings. I have intercepters under bed wheels. We are approx. $2400 into this and now a heat treatment will add $2000 more for our entire house. Hubby says we don't need it, but I want it for peace of mind.

Question is this: in a single family home with all of the above precautions (plus one remaining chemical treatment), how likely is this to work? Our home is in the Chicago suburbs and not cluttered at all. I am just a wreck!

2. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 21 2016 9:45:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I am no expert but heat treatment is expensive and probably not worth it. You need a good PCO to deal with your infestation using conventional spray treatments. Prior to first treatment were you given a pre treatment preparation list.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 21 2016 9:53:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I've had great experiences with heat treatment, especially on free-standing homes. Like anything else, it depends on the company that's doing the treatment and how thorough they are in monitoring the core temperature.

4. gqbrooks

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 21 2016 19:53:35
    #

Login to Send PM

We had an extensive prep list and did everything. the only thing the chemical treatments did not include was DE application.

The heat treatment we would go with will treat the entire house with 4 TempAir (?) heaters and an electric generator from their truck. They say they will heat for 3 hours after reaching 120 degrees. I'm just tired of feeling like i can;t relax at home.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2016 1:51:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Many heat treatment companies are applying a spray residual pesticide or dust as a backup to catch any survivors. Ask if this is part of their protocol.

Heat can be effective but there are lots of stories about "a few survivors" which may or may not die soon after treatment. Methods vary, and success rates may vary. Talk to them about their experience and results and see if you can talk to any clients. Read reviews on Angie's List.

Heat may also be overkill in some cases, for example a small bed bug problem. In your case, I would recommend at least confirming (with professional visual inspection) that you still have bed bugs after the three treatments, before springing for this.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. gqbrooks

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2016 9:11:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I think my CO2 generation is more attractive than my husband and son's (if that is possible), so after 3 treatments I will sleep upstairs and suffer the bites to see how the problem stands at that point.
    I still think this may the worst thing I have had to deal with as a homeowner.
    Thanks again, all!!!

7. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2016 9:28:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. They may also be biting your husband and son. Not everyone reacts to bedbug bites. Some people do not show any sign of bites. Don't quote me but around 40% do not react. Women report more reactions and people over the age of 65 report less reactions.

8. anxiety13

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 19:35:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Following

9. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 8:04:01
    #

Login to Send PM

This is just my experience. We had a heat treatment. Came home and lived 2 weeks in peace then bites were back. Thankful the company came back and treated again. We then made it several months and now we have bugs again. Now I can't say the bugs just didn't get reintroduced which is probably the case but my only advice/warning would be to make sure you do choose a company that heats along with a dust or some kind of chemical. My company didn't use anything along with the heat.

10. anxiety13

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 11:46:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Which company did you use? the company we are using is doing a chemical around the washer and dryer and nuvan strips in totes for things that cant be heated.

11. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 11:53:08
    #

Login to Send PM

anxiety13 - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Which company did you use? the company we are using is doing a chemical around the washer and dryer and nuvan strips in totes for things that cant be heated.

I used bed bug chasers which did work I just didn't realize they aren't licensed to use chemicals. At least where I live they can't.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,684 posts in 49,527 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982