NewYorkBedbugdogs.com

(7 posts)
  1. JByrdNYC

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 29 2014 11:07:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Anybody have any experience with NewYorkBedbugDogs.com? We found one stray bedbug on a teeshirt (while I was wearing it, ick!), and panicked and called them to do a k9 inspection w/o doing much research. The dog indicated for bugs in our living room couch, but the inspector said he doesn't believe in visual inspections, and since we found a bug, that should be enough.

Should we get a second opinion? No one has been getting any bites, and we see no sign of bedbugs other than the one we found. Could I have just picked it up on the subway?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 29 2014 12:40:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't believe in inspectors that don't believe in visual inspections.
    If you can't show me a bed bug why would I give you money...

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 29 2014 12:47:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm with Big Dummy.

Do you still have your bug sample? If so, can you post a photo?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. JByrdNYC

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 29 2014 14:02:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I can try to post a picture when I get home later. But it's definitely a bedbug, I've unfortunately had extensive experience with them in the past. (7 years ago, 5 apartments ago, definitely not a carry-over issue.)

I'm so annoyed, I don't know what to do now. After I posted, I did a really thorough inspection of the couch and chairs in the living room and didn't find anything. But supposedly the dog did. And there was the one. What's the next step?

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 29 2014 14:31:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Message member KillerQueen, he's a PCO that's based in NYC.

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 29 2014 14:45:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Ahhh . . .

the old K9 alert no human visual inspection/confirmation trick . . .

Hmmm . . .

. . . since dogs can't talk and can't tell us for sure where the bed bugs they're alerting to may be located, it's both recommended and wise to do a visual confirmation with a hominid which is preferably a human.

If they refuse to do a confirmation and/or can't find a bed bug then we need to ask ourselves why and on what is the dog alerting in the first place ???

K9s are a viable tool when used correctly !

However, it sounds as if you need a second opinion from an experienced and competent bed bug professional.

pjb

7. potomaccanine

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 29 2014 18:40:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Show me the bug....A visual inspection should be done every time. And then if the dog alerts, a visual verification must be done. That's the way to do it.
    Their website claims that their dogs are 96-98 percent accurate. No dog is. They claim to be certified but don't mention with who or if it's current. Things that make ya go hmmm.....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982