Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

newly infested but confirmed - please help!

(5 posts)
  1. buggaboo19

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 17 2013 21:51:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I just found out I had bed bugs about a week ago and only started seeing signs a couple weeks before that. i have found about a dozen live bugs in my room, but my roommate has found nothing in hers. we live in an apartment building that has a extermination company coming in tomorrow to use a chemical method in our apartment. as far as I know the surrounding apartments have not been checked yet. I am still in the process of cleaning. I have unanswered questions and I'm starting to get overwhelmed.

I have found no signs of bugs in my closet or on my clothes: only on my bed frame (which I threw out), on the baseboard between the carpet and the wall, and behind some posters that were hanging on my wall.

I have A LOT of clothes, many of which cannot go through the drier. Will steaming and bagging them work to kill bugs?

After my treatment tomorrow, how long should I expect to live out of plastic bags to dress for work before I know they are gone?

What is the likelihood I can spread these to people at work?

What about my shoes? I plan to run canvas/cloth ones through the drier... I have some that are up on shelves that I have not taken off the shelf once.... are these likely to be infested? or just ones that I have worn recently?

will a chemical treatment cause bugs to travel to different areas of my apartment? like I said- my room seems to be the only one with the infestation at this point.

I'm sure I have more questions but those are the only ones I can think of for now.

The more stories I read on here for tips and advice the more I start to panic. But I have no idea if my problem is comparable to some of the ones that other people have and if I need to go to the same lengths to fight this.

any help is appreciated.

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 17 2013 22:02:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, and the experts will be on in the a.m. Ask your PCO since he or she knows what they are using (and they are supposed to leave you a sheet with information on the pesticides used).

1. Different people look at the bagging differently. I have a packtite that I use for shoes and things that can't go in the dryer.

2. Ask your PCO about how long to use the bags.

3. This site has a FAQ site about limiting exposure to others when traveling...read that since you want to limit the risk of transfering them to work (but many people on here had them and never spread them).

4. Ask about the PCO about the chemicals used and if they will cause the bugs to disperse. Fogging (as in those foggers like you use for spiders or the ones labeled for bedbugs) will cauase dispersal and should be never used. Most PCOs will fumigate but not fog.

Good luck. There may not be many experts on until the morning.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. buggaboo19

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 17 2013 22:24:49
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareouttathere

thanks for the advice...

wondering if reading these posts can have the same mental effect as reading about medical symptoms via the internet (self-diagnosis/anxiety, etc.)

i'm itching all over but I don't think there is any possible way I could have been bitten over the past hour or I've been cleaning (but mostly reading from this site)

what the hell.

4. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 17 2013 22:28:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm new to thus battle too no bites only found one bug sitting on a cat toy and I feel ichy as well (no signs of bites on any family members) no signs either only that one bug i found anyway good luck (:

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 17 2013 22:44:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Stress can increase itchy symptoms (or bite like responses). People do report that it is similar to medical issues, in some cases (doesn't sound like yours)...people will have fleas and be sure its bedbugs. You read and read on here and begin seeing it (I know that happened to me 2-3 years ago, and I had a scare but not bugs).

Again, I'm not an expert. I do have a packtite, but it is $300-$675. (I have the closet where you can hang clothese..Packtite closet). It's cheaper than dry cleaning, but a lot of PCOs say you don't have to bag.

Good luck.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,305 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto