Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Newbie w/Questions

(6 posts)
  1. rca

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Apr 9 2018 21:12:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I have bites on both of my legs, near the knees, but I have yet to see a bed bug anywhere. My BFF has them at her house. I was out of town for months and when I came back she told me not to go to her house because of it and I have not. But, we do frequent the same places, so not sure.

In any event, I have bites with welts. Today, I spent the entire day vacuuming, cleaning, looking, but I will be a son of a gun if I could find signs of even one bed bug. My mattress looks like I just bought it. I have a brush vacuum head for upholstery, so I used that and then followed up with my crevice tool. Not one in that see through container when I got done. So, vacuumed the entire room, cleaning with bleach on many surfaces.

My biggest concern is that I am going away in a couple days to stay with a friend. I am taking a duffle bag that I will wash and dry with heat and same for my clothes, which I will put in zip lock bags, just to be safe. If I cannot see these bugs, how do I know if I am taking one with me on my body or my clothes. I am so perplexed.

2. rca

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 11:00:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I did not get a response to my first questions, so hoping more info about my situation will help. I went to the laundromat to wash bedding. Also washed all clothes I was going to travel with. In that process, I found out where the little devils were hiding. I had a quilted mattress pad on the bed and they were hiding in the layers of it. I saw them when I got it out of the washer.

So far, everything I learned in my research has helped. Zip lock bags are now my best friend. I have some questions:
    I live alone on 3 acres of land with empty lands next to me, so I cannot pass these on, unless I am out shopping, etc. so making sure I do not pass them on to others is important to me. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

For any entomologists that are here - I read that nymphs will die off if they have no food supply for 14 days. Is this true? I could easily stay out of my house & cut off their blood supply. Is there also a life limit for adults with no 'food supply'.

I cleaned, vacuumed and left the bed uncovered with a light dusting of Cimexa under bed, upholstered chair and clothing while I was gone on this trip. Not sure if it will help, but hoping I will find some dead bugs on return.

I am really hoping to get a reply to this post. Thank You

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 12:50:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Post some photos so we can give a proper ID on the insects that you've found.

4. rca

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 14:56:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Post some photos so we can give a proper ID on the insects that you've found.

I am traveling right now & I only found one dried up adult in a box of my deceased Mom's clothes. The others were wet (from laundry) & broken in pieces. It was identical to this:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ezMObVIkoU8l1Vnl1

Mom was in a nursing home. I left home to travel to bury her in a different state. A friend of mine picked up her boxes of stuff and put them in my house while I was gone for several weeks taking care of her funeral

5. rca

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 15:07:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Just an added question. I own a full sized van and live in an area that gets HOT. The CDC says that the inside of a van can turn 80 to 100 degree temps into 130 to 172 degree temps inside the vehicle. Can I turn my van into a large 'packtite'?
    Thank you

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 16:39:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Can't be done, but it is a common thought.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,630 posts in 47,029 topics over 144 months by 20,758 of 21,033 members. Latest: tinfoilfronts, paranoidsouthernchick, HopeTheyAreNotBedBugs