(3 posts)
  1. RobBerry23

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 21 2014 5:18:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi guys,

Been using this forum for while now, has probably been the only respite ive had in terms of bed bugs and solutions to combat them.

Alas i am still in fear of these nasty creatures and am starting to lose it abit.

I live in the UK and have recently (start of september) moved into my 2nd student house as i am in my 3rd year at university, 1st year was a dream, uni accomodation was spotless, 2nd year was our first glimpse of renting a house and it was tought but no bug problems. This year, well. After moving into this sub-par accomodation (due to price) i am tearing my hair out.

Within 2 weeks of moving in the problems started, my girlfriend came down to visit and started showing odd signs, spots appearing randomly but i dismissed it quickly and thought nothing of it. After staying for 3 weeks she left with around 30 bites all over her body and the docs confirmed it was a bite from some sort of bug. Did some research and treated for fleas as at home my parents have dogs and ive experienced these breifly before. She was fixated on bed bugs so got the letting agents to provide a pest control guy, who i was sceptical of as he offered very little advice, was rude and complained about the fact i had alot of stuff in my room. Im a computing student and so have a lot of tech.

That treatment was about 4 weeks ago, my girlfriend visisted again and lo and behold got bitten, only the once on her foot but we were both itching like crazy, ive changed the bed sheets pretty much every other day washing like mad, but i dont seem to be presenting any bites until recently.

3 days ago I hired another company as i was sceptical of the first guy and they did a great job explaining everything, told me what to do and how to go about it. I gave him a tub of what i thought was the sure signs of bed bugs as i managed to catch what i think was ashell or skin of one, he said it was and was possibly 2nd stage of its growth, and one i had caught with tweezers on my bed frame.

I have been double sided sticky taping the bed posts, and i believe they are not coming from the floor as nothing has appeared. But have found what I think is the source as there is clear signs of excrement and eggs on the bed frame itself,

I asked him to batter those keys areas with as much pesticide as he could, which seems to have worked as i havent seen anything the past few days, as well as this the matress was replaced with a mite proof memory foam matress and i have inspected it every day religiously and have seen no bed bug signs,

Yet here i am at 10:11am after trying to sleep at 4am and cannot, tossing and turning and itching. I believe i have a few bites showing now so it could be that. And i will probably go get some hydrocortisone cream to reduce the itchy ness, but i feel like i can feel the bugs ccrawling on my skin, and through my hairy legs, yet everytime i check i see nothing.

I have been told i could be itching from all the washing and so will take steps to rinse bedding and clothes more thoroughly as my jeans were itching like made the other day.

I understand the treatments with pesticides arent instant but this is honeslty driving me insane.

I have been given also by the professional spray guy a can of DEFLAC, whether this is effective or not i dont know after scanning the internet most results show that these do it yourself cans of spray are ineffective and the bugs are resitant too it.

I also have been since the first spray in a room with bin bags full of clothes, some have been washed because im using them daily but some have not been washed, but these are items taken from my wardrobe and cannot really be machine washed (suits etc).

If anyone can provide any help i would be very very grateful, i have been looking into potentially getting a cheap metal bed frame, and maybe a bed bug proof matress encasement, taping and trapping the legs and praying it solves the problem.

Any other solutions would be welcomed a hundred times over. Especially if there are any direct sprays that will anihilate these bugs before i am tempted to just move out and stay elsewhere

Thanks in advance

Rob

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2014 5:48:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

DEFLAC is effectively like hair spray, the idea is that it coats any crawling insect in a fast drying material and thus kills it. It should not be applied to surfaces as it has no residual action.

With regards the suits and non washables, if you are close to London we have a decon facility where you can bring things and they are processed to eradicate any activity using methods which you will not have access to. Its actually often cheaper than washing 3+ bags of clothes as about 6-8 bags can be done at once.

Swapping to a metal frame bed is not the answer and in some cases it can actually make things worse as bedbugs seek harbourages away from the bed and thus disperse into the room.

It may also be helpful if you list the names of the products that you have used as the flea treatment may have actually dispersed any bedbug issue thus making the problem harder to treat.

Hope taht helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. RobBerry23

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2014 0:45:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

Ok, So what other options do I have other than DEFLAC? Is there not a definite solution that will just kill them on contact?

The flea spray is used was Bob Martin just the general stuff in a spray from Asda,

I live in Worcester so London is a bit too far for me :/

Thanks

Rob

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams