Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

New Yorkers - How do you cope & prevent?

(8 posts)
  1. agh

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 20:26:22
    #

Login to Send PM

As this epidemic spreads throughout our country, I wonder how New Yorkers prevent and cope with what is happening there. What will we all need to do to prevent these things from entering our homes.
    I know there are differences given whether detached housing, live in an apartment or co-op...or if you have kids in school, if you have a car or take public transportation. I don't EVER want to go through this again.
    Advice?!?!

2. bbugophobic

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 21:06:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Oddly, I find that a lot of New Yorkers seem to live in relative ignorance of the gravity of the problem. They are aware but don't seem to take special precautions. I was very proactive in monitoring and educating myself, and now that I'm fighting an infestation, I take certain precautions including:

1. Everything is suspect. Nothing just comes into or goes out of the house anymore. New purchases are inspected and run through washer or dryer before being put away.

2. Our beds are sacred. Nothing touches them other than the sheets and pillows, and I wash the linens at least three times per week.

3. Shoes and clothes are removed at the door and placed in a sealed plastic bag. Same with kids' book bags. Change into clean house clothes that are changed each day.

4. Take showers at night before going to bed and in the morning.

5. Try not to sit down on trains and buses (certainly not buses with cloth seats).

6. Inspect my body and kids' bodies every morning and every night to catch changes quickly.

7. Don't know if I'll ever see a movie in NYC again!

8. Most importantly educate myself and others about the problem and precautions. I tell my friends that this is like a war. If you aren't on the front lines, you still dig trenches, prepare weapons, and stay alert, because one day the war will most likely find you.

3. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 21:34:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm doing the DE thing. And I'm expecting 100 lbs of it any minute if anybody wants it cheap.

Meanwhile, there will be a product released in less than two years. I don't know what but there is stuff being tested pre-marketing.

Meanwhile I try to sort out paranoia from facts. I try to remember that people used to actually live with these things for lack of choice.

I will not get sucked in, or sucked on if you will, by opportunist vultures in the guise of bb fixers, killers, remedies. And they are flocking boys and girls.

I am not unconcerned. I'll do my homework and most of it will not be on a message board.

If I fail I'll pack a bag, throw a match over my shoulder, and move into a tent in the woods. A rattlesnake I can shoot.

4. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 21:53:32
    #

Login to Send PM

crossing the street when you see any kind of bedding in the trash.

5. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 22:37:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a NYer anymore but close enough. We change clothes in the garage, shoes are outside until treated in the packtite. No vacations or movies anymore. No visitors, no sleepovers and I limit my visits to other peoples houses. Not a problem since I have been avoiding people I don't get many offers anymore. No more music lessons for my son. New purchases go right into ziplocs until treated (not that there are many of those- I am fairly broke now).

I am overzealous and paranoid. I know. I live in a single family home and have had them TWICE. I believe I was infested from work (or vacation - I guess I will never know) so I had my car treated too. I quit my job (I know they had them there).

I have heard several people say they can't stop living or change their habits because of a bug. Try having them twice, spending the money to eradicate them, throwing out your perfectly good belongings, up -ending you life and avoiding people and having people over for several months at a time - the time it takes to know you are really rid of them. My husband tells me that statistically it is highly unlikely we will get them again. However, bedbugs know nothing about statistics. As depressing as it is to live this way I can't bear to think of the alternative.

6. kannon_bosatsu

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 23:08:20
    #

Login to Send PM

We just got sprayed on the 15th and are having our second treatment tomorrow. Currently we are being super careful. Since I work out of the home, I basically strip at the door and put everything in plastic bags. Shoes go in ziplocs; purse on a shelf that has DE dusted on it. We're living out of bags now but I expect that once we're bedbug free I will be PacTiteing EVERY THING (still waiting on mine to arrive) and steaming around the mouldings at least once a week.

Laundry has to be done outside the home so we can only do it twice a week but the plan is to change sheets Saturdays and Wednesdays and inspect the mattress every day. Right now I take a lint roller and run it over the bed and check out whatever I pick up. I look for bug casings, small bugs. Mainly I pick up lint and cat fur but it makes me feel better knowing that the surface is clean and that BBS aren't hiding in plain sight.

We have two three-year olds so its hard to control their behaviors. The adults are doing the best they can to be vigilant and working as best as we can with the kids to get them used to some of these procedures.

7. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Sep 25 2010 2:46:16
    #

Login to Send PM

In answer to the OP's question: Humor.

8. ghostbitten

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 7:19:07
    #

Login to Send PM

nycyn - 1 day ago  » 
    In answer to the OP's question: Humor.

This entirely.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,333 posts in 50,175 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14