new to the site...excited to have some info

(3 posts)
  1. kears

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Apr 26 2010 9:25:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I just discovered your site...very informative. I've been fighting bb's for 10 months. We've had great success, but of course, there are those setbacks. After storing our boys' wooden bunk bed set in the garage for the entire winter...(we live in Windsor, On where temps generally remain below freezing every night in the winter)...we brought the beds back in. Within 3 days, my older son was getting bites. We had been bite-free since the fall, but the bunk bed somehow harboured some survivors. We are keeping it from getting out of control, but we are worried that we will not eradicate them for good. After a long fight and 3 visits from a professional exterminator....we're trying to stay hopeful.

Last night we put a perimiter of sticky two-sided carpet tape on both of the boys' mattresses. They slept in the middle of the mattress (away from the sticky boarder) inside sleeping bags. This morning we found nothing on the mattresses or tape. A good sign!

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Apr 26 2010 11:27:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Kears,

Welcome to the site .. Sorry you're here. Other then the bite there is no other evidence of bed bugs?
    If the "bites" are from bed bugs .. they are more likely to be in the wood of the beds and may never cross the tape you have out, not to mention the tape usually raises up off the surface of the bed and a bug can crawl under the tape line.

Although anything is possible I would bet the bugs did die off in the winter months.
    I have kept bugs inside my truck with temperature changes going from 70 degrees to 30 degrees almost daily (meaning day and night changes) and have not found adult bugs living more than 1 month.

I would think a consistent temperature would provide a more stable habitat for them.. But I think your situation should have killed off what was there. But again .. anything is possible I guess.

keep us posted.

3. kears

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Apr 26 2010 12:27:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately aside from the bites....we did catch and kill a huge blood filled adult. I believe I also found a small new stash of eggs. I drenched them (and lots of other nooks and cranies) with rubbing alcohol and then I scrubbed the surface of the wood again to remove a few dark spots. These bunk beds are not just your average twin over twin. They have a built in desk and shelving unit as well as 6 drawers. They do harbour several possible hiding places for bb's.

The tape I'm using is about 1 1/2 wide and does not curl up....it is so sticky that when we remove it it tears up the vinyl bed encasement. We just use the cheap encasements, then apply the tape. Back when we were new to bb's my hubby kept insisting that he got them all. I was skeptical. I tried this tape method and at 2am we snuck into their room with a flashlight and found that we had trapped over a dozen bugs of all ages and sizes within the perimeter. I knew that we could not prevent the bugs from crawling up the walls and falling onto the mattresses, but this was a way of preventing them from leaving. So, yes...I did use my boys as bait, but it worked and allowed us to see if in fact we still had a bb problem. We actually watched the bugs run around the perimeter searching for a way out. They are not stupid enough to climb onto the tape. They simply approach it and then move back away. They were easy to kill cuz the mattress encasement is white.

My concern now is possible eggs. I sprayed the entire area again with permethryns (sp?) and Pyrethrins (?) a Raid brand Spider Killer with up to 2 weeks residual. Hopeful as always that we can beat this.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982