New to the forum

(3 posts)
  1. MaryJaneDoe

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jan 12 2019 16:58:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I'm new to the forum and just trying to learn the best ways to cope and fight these bugs. I just found out my couch was infested a few days ago and I've been so stressed as I'm sure most of you are/were. It has been very hard for me to sleep as I already suffer from anxiety and a myriad of both physical and mental health issues. I have been doing all the research I can and have been applying diatomaceous earth and cleaning by hand any bugs I can find and killing them or capturing them on duct tape every day since I found out. I feel like I've done a pretty good job of getting rid of as many as I could though I know there's probably more hiding. I am an artist and have little piles of clutter everywhere from art projects and so will have to literally go through everything with a fine toothed comb as well as throw out some of my furniture. I feel like I'm ready to tackle that and as soon as I notified my apartment they sent a PCO the same day and their plan is to treat with steam as well as pesticides. They also plan on applying a dust to the baseboard heating as it is a really easy place for them to hide. I usually sleep on my couch so luckily my bed was actually not infested or at least not upon visual inspection so that's a plus. My concern is that I know the apartment has had problems with bedbugs for a while now because they had signs in the lobby of the apartment explaining how to identify bedbugs and that was a year or two ago that they has them displayed. I am concerned about the fact that I know they aren't going through inspecting the other apartments for bed bugs and if they don't I know they could be a recurring problem. Has anyone used diatomaceous earth to prevent re-infestation? Should I buy my own steam cleaner? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. SalsaVince

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jan 12 2019 17:53:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome Mary,
    You've found a great source of accurate information to help you with these pests so do some reading. Find a balance though. As someone who is naturally anxious too, I eventually realized that you can't think about them 24/7 or you will drive yourself crazy. Give yourself a break and limit your time researching. That's great that your apartment quickly sent a professional and that they have a good plan of attack. Couches can be very difficult to treat because they are usually more intricate and have more hiding spaces than beds so that could be a challenge. The PCO will make the determination on whether it is treatable or if you might be better off disposing of it (usually not necessary). You said your bed is clear from bugs right now. Just be aware that if you begin sleeping in your bed instead of the couch now, they may be drawn there when they realize their food source is no longer on the couch. It's usually not a good idea to change sleeping arrangements before/during treatment to keep the bugs contained to one area. You definitely don't want to move pillows or linens from the couch to the bed or wear the same clothing from the living room to your bed. As far as the management inspecting other units, if they had a sign educating people about bed bugs, hopefully that indicates that they have experience with dealing with them and would know how the can spread through buildings. You can ask the PCO or management about that but ultimately, it's out of your control. Yes, DE is effective. It might not prevent a reinfestation but it helps when you have a current one. Be sure you know how to apply it though. Most rookies put down too much and in the wrong places. Cimexa is also very effective but the same applies to it. Steaming is great for couches. I had a lot of success with steam on my mom's recliner. It's a losing battle just trying to pick them off one by one with tape but the steam will kill them and their eggs if done right. And the residual spray that the PCO will use should finish off the rest when they cross it. Sounds like you're in good hands. Good luck with your fight and keep living life. It will get better.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  3. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jan 13 2019 18:02:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Today I put the encasment on my couch and Iam intended to keep it that way for a while .Before I had put it it on I had sprayed the inside of the couch (it has a drawer)with Phantom .I feel better immediately .Of course I will be doing my routine .Vacumm as often as I can ,steam my daily clothes and laundry my linens and dry my bed pillows and comforter at least once a week .Hang in there !!!Good luck. Get an encasment for the mattress and box springs as well .

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

286,364 posts in 47,671 topics over 147 months by 21,010 of 21,335 members. Latest: m4ry143, aptacek, MS__04