New To the Club

(6 posts)
  1. somchworry

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 27 2013 8:10:16
    #

Login to Send PM

A couple weeks ago, I thought I had an allergy on my hand...then my wife began to notice marks on her legs. We grew paranoid and I started lurking here because I just KNEW . Finally, last week, we found adult bedbugs all over the armchair pillows on our bed! We threw them out and made an appointment with a local K9 company. They confirmed in 2 rooms (we have a 2100 sq foot house) and now we're waiting on the PCO to come out in a couple weeks. Their policy is to treat the whole house regardless, which I think is a good sign?

We've already encased the beds and are starting to dry-n-seal clothing. I'm terrified that this is some major infestation and the k9 missed some rooms, or (if he was right) that in the next 2 weeks the bugs are going to totally invade and I'll never be rid of this! My wife is concerned, but hopeful that we were attentive and caught it early and are now doing what we can to prevent it from spreading.

Am I being completely irrational to be totally stressed out? Is my wife over optimistic? Both? Can we beat this? Do we need to go crazy with treating every item we own, or just worry about the "contaminated" rooms?

I really want to preemptively express my gratitude for all the work you've all put into making this site and providing resources for tired, stressed out people like me. I want to extend my deepest sympathies with those who have and are and will deal with this. I used to think fleas were the biggest worry I wold have(2 cats and future dogs); now I know that (potential) fleas are going to be a piece of cake!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 27 2013 9:35:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Nice first post.

The first thing on the agenda is that bedbugs don't explode and get out of control overnight. The reality is that it takes 60 - 90 days before an infestation is at the stage where it is starting to double every 14 - 21 days so you have time on your side.

Yes you can beat bedbugs, we do it all the time, in fact up to 12 cases a day 5 days a week, yes they can be complex but at other times it can be easy.

I would advise you to have a good look through the FAQ's and useful tools sections of the site so that you are armed with the best information and know what all your options are. Increasingly we do not feel the need to treat the whole home if just one or two rooms are infested preferring to use a more sensitive monitor replacement approach similar to the protocols you will find online called "treatment by Passive Monitor replacement" which can help detect and resolve any spreading as well as offering QC of treatment services.

If you have specific questions following the FAQ and other documents reading post them up and people can share what has worked for them and offer advice based on either their professional experiences or having been through the process.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitor for bedbugs.

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. somchworry

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 27 2013 10:27:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Dave!! Especially for reassuring me about the size of my "population"--from all the research I've done (this site has been an AMAZING resource!!), my rational mind feels like it's just the 2 rooms (both of which make sense--the bedroom and laundry room), but the itchy, paranoid mind is definitely in overdrive.

It's definitely overwhelming, especially knowing how much "stuff" we have, especially clothing/coats--we live in the Northeast. Do we need to zip-bag everything in every closet, or can we wash/dry (on the hottest settings!) and bag hanging items from other rooms in garbage bags?

Also, what are other people's opinions on baking non-washable items like leather shoes? I read the FAQ, but it wasn't as clear as I'd like--I'm okay with losing some items, but I want to at least feel like I went in with a clue before destroying things

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 27 2013 10:31:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The answer to if washing and processing clothes and items is needed can only really be answered by the person doing the inspection. In 8 / 10 cases we do it is no longer deemed either necessary or advantageous.

The FAQ on decontaminating "stuff" will cover the options for non hot wash / tumble items.

I would also say that the washroom is more likley to be a transference rather than an infestation and as such you will most likley want to look into Active monitoring for that area.

Hope that helps.

David

5. somchworry

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 27 2013 10:41:35
    #

Login to Send PM

It does help, thank you! Our inspector said that it was most likely from inattentive transference, having yet another person say that eases a lot of anxiety!

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 27 2013 10:46:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you think like a bedbug you will notice a distinct lack of food in the laundry room which is why unoccupied or non resting parts of homes are rarely homes to bedbugs except when someone has been naughty with foggers / aerosols or dealing with things in a timely fashion.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19