New to Bed Bugs

(12 posts)
  1. howdidigetbb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 29 2016 8:07:44
    #

Login to Send PM

We found out last Sunday that we have bed bugs. The way we found out was that we went out of town and our son slept in our bed. He got eaten alive. We pulled the bed out from the wall and found evidence. We don't know how we got them or how long we've had them because they have obviously been feeding but I don't itch and neither does my husband.

We have a Temperpedic mattress and foundation, complete with the up/down electric base (access point #1). We both use a CPAP (access points #2 and #3).

On the first night, we stripped the bed and washed everything in hot water and encased the mattress and pillows in bed bug barrier zipper covers. Last night we turned the bed on it's side and found that they were in the corners of the base, underneath. I have a commercial cloths steamer, so we ran that over everything and vacuumed the dead bodies.

Yesterday my quarterly pest control service came and I told her we had bed bugs. She wouldn't even come in my house. She only treated the outside. She called the office for a quote on our basement rancher which up and down is about 3800 sqft. The quote was $2,800. This included 3 visits of intense treatment spaced 2 weeks apart and a whole house fogger where we and the pets have to be gone for at least 4 hours. Without the fogger would be about $2,000. My husband says no way are we paying them $2,800 but I'm thinking that in the end, that's going to be our only option.

So what should we do? Pay the $2,000 to $2,800 to our pest control company or try to deal with this ourselves?

The other thing I wounder is, are we taking hitch hikers with us every where we go? To other peoples houses, to hotels, etc...?

Thanks,
    DB

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 29 2016 8:15:24
    #

Login to Send PM

You'll want to first determine if they are confined to the bedroom. You'll want to also inspect all of the furniture and other bedrooms. If you've found less than 20 bedbugs you may have only had them for a few weeks.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. howdidigetbb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 29 2016 8:28:15
    #

Login to Send PM

There are just the 3 of us living here plus 2 dogs and a cat. We have 2 old Lazy Boy recliners in the den and then the 2 occupied bedrooms. The other 3 bedroom, 1 is my computer room, 1 is a guest room that no one goes into very often (we don't have many overnight guests), and the 3rd is my husband's radio room.

Our best way to tell is our son. He has a pretty bad reaction that is quick and obvious. He didn't get bit until he slept in our room. This weekend we're going to do a huge purge of old cloths and clutter.

One thing, we have a whole house vacuum, so wondering what precautions we need to take with that.

I read somewhere that regular DE was a health hazard, that we need to get pest control DE? Is that just a marketing scare tactic, or is this true.

4. howdidigetbb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 29 2016 8:30:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Number of bugs is hard to tell. We saw hundreds of eggs last night. I don't know how many we have physically seen because of steaming the bed foundation, they were dropping off when the steam hit them and I wasn't part of that process because I wasn't in the room for most of it.

5. howdidigetbb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 29 2016 8:49:27
    #

Login to Send PM

One more thing that I don't know if it will help or hurt in our quest to get rid of bed bugs, We have no carpet upstairs and no carpet in the bedroom downstairs. In the basement we have very very low nap carpet like they sell at HomeDepot in the big room, and berber carpet in the radio room.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 29 2016 23:36:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I suggest calling some other pest control companies. A "whole house fogger" is not a good approach for bed bugs, according to experts. Bombs and foggers don't work well for bed bugs. You can call companies which are in nearby cities if you are in a small town-- they often travel quite a distance for service calls.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. howdidigetbb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 30 2016 0:48:58
    #

Login to Send PM

My regular pct told me that without the fogger the price would be about $2000. I told her the same thing, that I had read that foggers and bombs typically didn't have a good track record. Also, their process is entirely chemical. The don't do any steaming or DE in conjunction with the chemicals. I have a lot of smell related allergies, like insecticides, perfumes, and cigarette smoke, so I don't know if I would be able to tolerate the 100% chemical approach or not. She advised my NOT to buy a steamer or spend any money at all other than to buy their service.

On back and underneath the bed foundation was where we found the evidence of bed bugs. It was really weird because about 75% of the staining was on my husband's side of the bed.

The biggest thing I worry about is carrying them out of the house to work or to other people's houses. Tonight I went to babysit my grandchildren. I was very careful not to walk on carpet or go into any of the bedroom. Is it the adults that hitchhike or is it any stage?

8. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 30 2016 9:11:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert but from what I've read on this forum, any stage can hitchhike. I guess eggs would be less likely since they are not mobile on their own.

The usual drill (normal PCO pre-treatment instructions) is to empty all dressers and closets (including linens) and run everything through the dryer on high heat (i.e., clean clothes don't have to go through washer first). Some say 20 minutes but I run it longer to be on the safe side.

Fold clothes as they come out of the dryer and seal into Ziploc bags right away (they sell huge ones at places like Walmart). Be prepared to spend a small fortune on bags.

When we get dressed, we only take out the clothes we're going to wear that day and only get dressed right before leaving the house. We don't sit down, etc., in the clothes we will be wearing to work. It is a giant PITA. You will be living out of Ziploc bags for months.

Dirty laundry goes in garbage bags then dumped straight into washer (hot). Rinse lather repeat.

Purses and shoes need attention too.

It sounds like you have a sizeable infestation so you will definitely need a PCO, and a good one.

9. howdidigetbb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jul 31 2016 19:05:25
    #

Login to Send PM

We just finished encasing the Temperpedic foundation with 3.5 mil plastic. We've made sure all the creases are taped.

I have my Amazon shopping cart ready to hit pay, but am wondering about the steamer I have selected. It was recommended on another site. It's the McCulloch MC1275. The only one recommended higher on this site as the $299 Vapamore. MR-100 Primo. I've been reading reviews on the McCulloch and only 53% of the reviews give it a 5*. The 1* reviews said the steamer didn't work right out of the box or that it quit working after a few times or that it spit water. These were pretty much the same complaints with the Vapamore, except that with that steamer, the company actually reads the Amazon reviews. It didn't sound like the buyer got a lot of satisfaction with speaking to even the President of the company.

So, now I don't know what to do. I read that you need a steamer that puts out "dry" steam, what ever that is. I just thought steam was steam. Anyway, my husband is balking at the $140 for the McCulloch steamer, so I'm not sure he'd go for a more expensive one.

Also in my cart are Ziploc Big Bags, Bed Bug ClimbUp Interceptors, a powder duster and CimeXa Insecticide Dust.

I'm going to call some other PCO's tomorrow and get more quotes, but was told by one company I talked to on Saturday that there were only a few PCO's it my town that would treat for bed bugs. This guy was talking about just treating the bedrooms, where the other company will only treat the entire house.

We're going to put out some CO2 traps out starting tonight and see what we catch. I'm still not sure what the level of infestation is, but the traps should give us a better idea on that.

10. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2016 9:41:52
    #

Login to Send PM

You need dry steam to avoid introducing mold. I would spend the extra money and get one that will get the job done properly. Be careful purchasing certain types of bed bug products from Amazon as they accept returns of pretty much everything.

11. howdidigetbb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2016 9:48:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Any suggestions on which brands/models that produce dry steam?

12. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2016 16:04:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi here are some details on steamers from the site
    http://bedbugger.com/how-to-get-rid-of-bed-bugs-bed-bug-faqs/pest-control/faq-killing-bed-bugs-with-steam/
    By the way, fogging the house is not recommended as it can cause the bedbugs to spread out from their usual locations.
    BTW are cpaps the breathing devices. If so then the bedbugs may travel up them to get to you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie