(15 posts)
  1. efcbugs

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 17 2013 22:22:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello bedbuggers,

My boyfriend and I have started the war in our apartment... found a bb 9 days ago but foolishly id'd as a tick. Now 10 days later we've seen couch bb #2 and this morning, a dead one in our bed. Neither of us have any visible bites.

Landlord prescribed a service, very friendly and cheerful when dealing with my paranoia (note, I am extremely neat and quick to overreact.) However, he seemed to think two treatments would be enough. What I've read on the forums and otherwise is unfortunately keeping me pessimistic.

I haven't slept since the discovery of the critters, and I am fearful of months of treatments and living out of ziplocs.

I guess I've come for moral support and also any surefire ways to clean contaminated luggage and shoes. And most importantly... how do you allow yourself to fall asleep??

2. RaccoonEyes

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Dec 18 2013 1:03:34
    #

Login to Send PM

efcbugs - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hello bedbuggers,
    My boyfriend and I have started the war in our apartment... found a bb 9 days ago but foolishly id'd as a tick. Now 10 days later we've seen couch bb #2 and this morning, a dead one in our bed. Neither of us have any visible bites.
    Landlord prescribed a service, very friendly and cheerful when dealing with my paranoia (note, I am extremely neat and quick to overreact.) However, he seemed to think two treatments would be enough. What I've read on the forums and otherwise is unfortunately keeping me pessimistic.
    I haven't slept since the discovery of the critters, and I am fearful of months of treatments and living out of ziplocs.
    I guess I've come for moral support and also any surefire ways to clean contaminated luggage and shoes. And most importantly... how do you allow yourself to fall asleep??

I know this feel. When I found my first one I barely slept, kept getting up, and patting down my mattress every time I felt anything that wasn't my blanket. The next day I found an older nymph in a shirt that I had on the floor as well as an exoskeleton. The manager wasn't doing anything and procrastinating because he thought I just had a beetle or something. I had 3 hours of broken sleep and the rest of my night I spent in the bathtub.
    The day of my first treatment I bought a mattress case and a vacuum that has a washable filter/clear container (?idkwhatthatpartiscalled). Everything I own that aren't my mattress, dishes, laptop, or hygiene products get shoved in a garbage bag. I vacuum once or twice a day to check what the filter has picked up, do laundry every couple of days but I sniff test when I open the bag so if anything smells odd to me I throw that back in the wash. So far since I've been doing this since December 4th it's helped me sleep all the way through the night again. If I see a blood spot from a bite I just check everything again but so far all I've found are two itty bitty blood spots. Bites can be delayed or some people do not react at all (so I've learned on here).

Anyways this is how I rest at night. I am just a poster posting my experience with this, I am by no means a professional anything. Everyone's experiences are different.

3. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Dec 18 2013 8:55:22
    #

Login to Send PM

The number of needed treatments varies greatly. I needed three, but a friend of mine successfully got rid of them after just one. Most companies will be willing to treat additional times if needed.

4. efcbugs

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Dec 18 2013 9:22:39
    #

Login to Send PM

All input is very helpful, thanks for reading! I am trying to keep my chin up-- fabrics are all bagged and first treatment happens Friday! Wish me luck.

5. RaccoonEyes

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Dec 18 2013 9:40:58
    #

Login to Send PM

efcbugs
    Did you make sure to Wash/Dry everything on the highest setting? (Sorry I forgot everyone's dryers aren't default scorching hot so I did not mention it prior)

6. RaccoonEyes

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Dec 18 2013 9:40:59
    #

Login to Send PM

efcbugs
    Did you make sure to Wash/Dry everything on the highest setting? (Sorry I forgot everyone's dryers aren't default scorching hot so I did not mention it prior)

7. Louise

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Dec 18 2013 10:54:53
    #

Login to Send PM

RaccoonEyes - 1 hour ago  » 
    efcbugs

It's actually not necessary to wash items that are already clean. Clean fabrics may be heated in the dryer when dry.

Saves a certain amount of time and money not having to wash AND dry *everything.*

8. RaccoonEyes

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Dec 18 2013 18:53:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Louise - 7 hours ago  » 

RaccoonEyes - 1 hour ago  » 
    efcbugs

It's actually not necessary to wash items that are already clean. Clean fabrics may be heated in the dryer when dry.
    Saves a certain amount of time and money not having to wash AND dry *everything.*

Aughhh the realization that I had double posted. Oh well.
    Regarding the laundry though, this is true. I meant more wash/dry as a general way to put it because it was 6 am when I posted this and I literally woke up and got on my laptop.

9. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Dec 18 2013 20:01:19
    #

Login to Send PM

The temperature in a dryer should be more than sufficient to kill those little bastards when on the highest setting, in spite of what a supposed "expert" on this forum said a few weeks ago. The temperature of clothes when first pulled out of the dryer is as you and everyone else most likely knows already is so hot you can't touch it for more than a second or two before jerking your hand away in pain, certainly a fatal temperature for bed bugs and their eggs. Also washing clothes, even in cold water should kill them as well, as long as soap is used, as soap suds break down the surface tension of water and cause insects which normally float to sink and drown, as well as the soap itself clogging the insect's breathing holes.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  10. efcbugs

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Dec 18 2013 21:29:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes we wash/dried all clothes and fabric etcs. Highest setting!!!

11. RaccoonEyes

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Dec 18 2013 22:47:40
    #

Login to Send PM

efcbugs - 1 hour ago  » 
    Yes we wash/dried all clothes and fabric etcs. Highest setting!!!

Good work.
    May the battle commence, mwahahaha!

12. efcbugs

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Dec 19 2013 23:27:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: we have put all clothes, linens, etc. In XXL ziploc bags, and in prep for the exterminator have moved all furniture away from the walls and emptied drawers. Our stuff is piled in the middle of the room for easy access to baseboards etc.

After the exterminator comes we plan to hang the ziplocs with unneeded things in the closet (off the floor!) and return certain objects (mostly office supplies) to shelves to create more space. Does this seem kosher? Is there anything else we should know to make the poison *the most* effective??

13. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 20 2013 0:37:03
    #

Login to Send PM

efcbugs - 1 hour ago  » 
    Update: we have put all clothes, linens, etc. In XXL ziploc bags, and in prep for the exterminator have moved all furniture away from the walls and emptied drawers. Our stuff is piled in the middle of the room for easy access to baseboards etc.
    After the exterminator comes we plan to hang the ziplocs with unneeded things in the closet (off the floor!) and return certain objects (mostly office supplies) to shelves to create more space. Does this seem kosher? Is there anything else we should know to make the poison *the most* effective??

Sounds fine. Did they provide you with a "prep sheet"? If so, follow that as closely as possible and call it a day. A lot of people tend to go overboard with regard to prep when it may not be necessary at all.

I'm with Itorturebugs - Every dryer I've ever seen has been more then capable of killing all life stages. Bed Bugs start to die at 113 degrees but if your machine is reaching 120 (very easy for any machine) they will die rather quickly.

Regards,
    John Furman
    Boot A Pest, Inc.
    New York's "Best Bed Bug Exterminator" NY Magazine

14. efcbugs

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 20 2013 23:04:34
    #

Login to Send PM

We have been treated! Round One went off without a hitch. Our PCO found no evidence of bbs (good sign!), but just to be sure he sprayed the entire apartment, bathroom and all. Everything has finally dried, so now we settle down--in my case, with plenty of psychosomatic itching-- to our first night on the way back to normalcy.

We plan to have another treatment in 10 days regardless of our experience this week just to be safe... better safe than sorry!

This forum has been such a lifesaver... so much information and so many caring voices! Hopefully my next post will be my last, and a story of success!!!

15. efcbugs

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 31 2013 9:01:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a quick update...

After the first treatment, no signs of life, no bites, no bugs. All looking good. Had a second treatment yesterday where the exterminator found no trace of anything(!!), and morning we woke up with a bb stuck to our passive traps at the foor of the bed.

I am so disappointed! I want to know where they are coming from. Ugh. Our neighbors haven't been treated, but I'm not sure hpw to breach that topic with the landlord without causing a scene. All I want is the little terrors out of my life. Seriously.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45