(17 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 18:08:54
    #

Login to Send PM

We now have a signature feature.

You can add a signature to your first post in a thread automatically or toggle it on when you need to add it to a post. It will only appear ONCE per thread.

To edit your signature:

Go to: Your profile (link on right near where you log in, or click the title under your username, mine is "your host").

Click "edit" at top.

Scroll down and read the instructions about adding a signature.

Signatures can be 500 characters (including HTML). I made it long so those who need to disclose something can do it. However, most people will want a much shorter signature. If 500 is too short, email me (banner at right) and I will try and help. This is probably only relevant to pros needing to disclose. Regular forum users will likely find brevity is the way to go!

The way to get a signature to apply to just that post is to leave the toggle box "show your signature on this post" checked. In this case, it will appear on that post but not later ones in the thread.

If you have a signature with disclosures, you probably want to wait to include it until it becomes relevant. To remove your signature from your post, uncheck the box. When you post and need the signature, make sure the box is checked and then that post will have the signature. Future posts in the thread won't.

Please do not use your signatures for self-promotion of your site or business. The forum rules apply to signatures.

Please do not link in signatures. Note your home page or success story/favorite thread on the site can be linked from your username; add the URL to your profile and this will happen automatically. You can add something to the signature like, "click my username to see my success story".

Appropriate use of signatures for pros might be: disclosing what you need to disclose, naming your company or affiliation, or your personal name. If you have credentials (eg board certified entomologist) you might include these.

Appropriate use of signatures for non-pros might include linking to a favorite thread, including a joke, or just the name you want to sign posts with.

Please be as brief as possible! Remember, people on a cell phone have to scroll down much further if you have a long sig.

This is a new feature and a plugin. Sometimes plugins don't work right or new features introduce problems we weren't expecting.

Please let me know how this works for you and if you have questions. Other suggestions for best practices with sigs are welcomed. Maybe you're aware of rules or ways of using sigs from other forums which worked well. Please don't be shy! Let us know.

This "how to" is linked from the FAQs about the Forums (How to use the forums) green sticky, for future reference.

See my signature below.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 18:18:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, NoBugs! This should make the necessary disclosures much easier.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 18:42:47
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 24 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks, NoBugs! This should make the necessary disclosures much easier.

Love your signature!

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 18:49:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Note: I edited my first post above. The feature will not work on multiple posts in a thread. Those needing disclosures should toggle the sig "off" until needed, then "on". See above.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 18:20:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Please let me know if you have any questions, like the feature, hate it, etc.

6. Koebner

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 18:25:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Like it in theory but if people start slapping lumps of "inspirational" guff or exhortations from the Art of War at the end of their posts I think you should give 'em one warning, then delete their accounts.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 3 2014 14:09:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Koebner,
    I hear you!

For anyone who isn't aware, this feature was brought in mainly to help experts who need to disclose relationships with products/services/companies they may recommend. In some cases, they are so numerous, a long sig may be needed. I am hoping most people don't try and implement one.

However, TAOT has the right idea in terms of what most people might do with this.
    And keep in mind you won't see them more than once per thread.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 3 2014 14:13:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I suppose you could always report a signature for accuracy if the claims are too wild or can be proven not to be accurate.

I am working on reducing mine down from the 250 words the first draft is, after all I want to make sure its a clear disclosure, LOL.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  9. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 3 2014 19:28:18
    #

Login to Send PM

So, no poems in my signature? I tend to repeat I'm not an expert since it's important.

I do think it is important for the professionals to disclose their relationships.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 3 2014 23:23:02
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 3 hours ago  » 
    So, no poems in my signature? I tend to repeat I'm not an expert since it's important.
    I do think it is important for the professionals to disclose their relationships.

I agree.

I found your sig to be very poetic, TAOT!

I am going to remove or edit mine; it's way too long (obviously) but I also don't need to disclose very often. Better to do it manually.

11. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 4 2014 21:56:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Big Dummy is my evil twin. This signature line is awesome.

Oh, I can't copy his or her signature...shoot. I think I may change mine to

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 7 2014 9:40:55
    #

Login to Send PM

OK I have added mine.

David

13. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 7 2014 10:58:35
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 2 days ago  » 
    Big Dummy is my evil twin. This signature line is awesome.
    Oh, I can't copy his or her signature...shoot. I think I may change mine to
    They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

Well played....

14. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 9 2014 21:01:44
    #

Login to Send PM

BD:

Yes
    Expertise (or Extranordinary)
    Placement

15. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 11 2014 3:05:09
    #

Login to Send PM

An awesome new feature and easy to use too. I love it !

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Dec 29 2014 19:29:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I have added a rule above about not linking in the sig slot. Note there is a workaround:

Please do not link in signatures. Note your home page or success story/favorite thread on the site can be linked from your username; add the URL to your profile and this will happen automatically. You can add something to the signature like, "click my username to see my success story".

I strongly encourage this be done with success stories-- I think newbites are very curious about the success stories of those who hang around.

17. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 30 2014 20:10:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Great idea about success stories!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,657 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982