New reading material just arrived

(6 posts)
  1. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 6 2015 7:36:17
    #

Login to Send PM

The infested mind - why humans fear, loathe, and love insects by Jeffrey A. Lockwood.

Chapter 11 Back to the "real" world: good night, sleep tight ... or maybe not

Its the last chapter but also the one I will read first. I may even do a book review when I have time.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 6 2015 13:26:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Just finished reading the bedbug specific section. Its an interesting academic study of how bedbugs tend to be more impacting on people than others insects and crawlies such as spiders. If you think about it people tend not to go for any length of time without dealing with the spider. They are also more socially impacting, while it may be an amusing story to share of your fear and shriek over a spider you are less likley to openly share your struggle with bedbugs.

A lot of it is based on limited reviewing of blogs and articles as well as the comments but its insightful and gives some pointers towards explaining why bedbugs are natural triggers. More of a read for psychologists or those truly into studying the many and complex aspects of bedbugs. I will be adding this section to my staff training as ongoing study.

David

3. bedbugsuptown

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 7 2015 10:46:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Before 2011, the year of my infestation I wasn't especially aware of the epidemic going on in nyc. Some time before I began to meet my upstairs neighbor and her two very young girls as we traversed the stairs in the course of our comings and goings. As it was summer the red welts the three wore on their skin were evident. I talked to the mom, sympathized with her plight and yes, since her apartment was above mine I gave a degree of thought to the possibility of bedbugs encroaching into my territory. 'Mickey' sent the kids home to China, they needed to learn Mandarin anyway and the landlord wanted very much to get this family out of the larger apartment above mine and moved to the unit to the east.

During and post infestation I could never understand how the majority of people reacted to hearing anything to do with bedbugs. Whether it was to give a person a little bedbug 101 or just recounting certain details of that period I quickly noticed nary a soul would engage. I felt neither hurt nor angry, I just wondered why the majority of people in my life seemed to be taking a tip from the three wise monkeys," see no evil, hear no evil speak no evil".

4. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 7 2015 11:14:44
    #

Login to Send PM

It's like bedbugs is the new AIDS. People think it'll never happen to them. I sure didn't. It's taken 2 months for my family (only 2 sisters out of 6 siblings) to be able to speak of it openly to me without obviously shuddering. Now we've become oddly interested in the things. I miss being stupid, and it's people like me (my old me) who keep the whole psychological reaction of denial going. Ha! Like cavities, I suppose? But the opposite? Ignore them and and they'll go (not) away.

My family thinks I should become a research assistant, and wow, yes, the idea appeals to me.

I might buy some books, even after I defeat the things. Yes, they are interesting!

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  5. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 7 2015 14:42:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a healthy respect for the brown recluse spider after having seen three really bad reaction on others first hand. Started to give my clothing a good hard sharp snap before getting dressed.
    But never had bug phobia until dealing with bedbugs..
    Tell you the truth it took me by surprise, the way I have acted because of them.

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 7 2015 16:57:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I know someone who has all white sheets because of a brown recluse bite.
    For me, it's the stigma. I haven't had them, but had one scare. I only know one person who has openly discussed it with me. I felt sorry for her, a single mom with a child. She felt so helpless.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,431 posts in 48,820 topics over 151 months by 21,437 of 21,839 members. Latest: bedbugtoronto, stinson, WendyW