(12 posts)
  1. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2011 15:56:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

Just offering up some new advice in exchange for some feedback.

Optimisation of furniture in advance of bedbug infestations

I finally managed to clear my desk and backlog enough to spend a few evenings creating a document that helps people understand what I mean about bed optimisation and how you can minimse the potential impact of bedbugs with a little effort and attention to detail.

If you have comments or suggestions or feel that parts need more clarification please let me know.

I cant look at individual beds and areas and offer advice on a case by case basis as the time is actually more than I can spare at this point in time. I will however try to find time to keep it up to date and will consider requests if enough people think it would add value.

Last but by no means least thanks to the bedbugger who took the shots and sent them to me. I am very much a person who works visually and without the excess of information they shared with me this would not have been possible. To that end thanks also to our tireless host, even though Mr James was happy to finger you in his sordid scandal I will still stick up for you.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  2. Buggybumpers

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2011 22:42:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I have read it and am wondering about one statement--that metal frames for the beds tend to diffuse the begs throughout the house. Can you explain why? From my own experience, it looked to me like there were plenty of places for the BBs to hide in the metal frames and that's why I like duct tape. So I don't understand why the bugs would want to run away from their food source. Plus, I suppose I also don't understand how the bugs could get past double-sided tape on the legs of the bed AND climbups in order to escape from the bed and hide elsewhere. Wouldn't one literally have to carry the bugs out of the bed on ones person? I'm not saying you're wrong because I never had a headboard or anything but a metal frame for the box spring during my ordeal and the bugs did diffuse through my house. I am just wondering.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 18 2011 4:49:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I think you have misread the statement. "All metal" framed beds cause bedbugs to seek refugia away from the bed sooner than beds that are a combination of metal and wood or beds which are only wood.

Therefore within the context of the document which is about optimising your sleeping area for detection wooden beds are preferred over any combination of metal.

This is based on field observations of over 21,000 cases of bedbugs.

As for getting past sticky tape, they manage as many will confirm. With regards isolation devices they are passable by bedbugs if they are not correctly maintained which means re-dusting with talc every two weeks.

Its also fair to say that from other comments you have made you never had bedbugs and this document is about bedbugs and not mysterious mites or unknown things biting you.

I hope that clarifies.

David

4. blargg

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 18 2011 6:17:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, very informative. I was about to point out a spelling error in the title of your document, but then I realized the UK doesn't use the letter "z" in the same way the US does.
    Thanks for educating the people.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 18 2011 6:24:09
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL, yes I reserve the right to spell in the style of the source country. If you watch my posts I tend to slip back and forth between UK and US apart from some words like colour which I cant bring myself to misspell.

Glad you like the content though.

More documents like this will follow as and when I have time. I am also likely to start putting up the product testing reports in the next few days as well.

David

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 18 2011 6:49:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Very nice document. I skimmed it and then read the parts about the bed carefully. I'll have to go back and look and see if there are suggestions for sofas (yes, I'm greedy).

Thanks for putting the time into this. The visuals really helped me understand what you have been putting on the forum.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  7. Buggybumpers

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 18 2011 13:13:02
    #

Login to Send PM

David, I certainly HAVE had bedbugs, identified by my [saved] samples by a local exterminator and have mentioned that here in numerous posts. In fact, my bedbug situation was so persistent that, despite 7 sprayings, I lost nearly all my possessions and had to move! If I had mites and bedbugs at the same time I doubt I am the only person on the planet to have had that happen to me.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 18 2011 13:21:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggybumpers - 7 minutes ago  » 
    If I had mites and bedbugs at the same time I doubt I am the only person on the planet to have had that happen to me.

You have the rather dubious honour of being the first one I have heard of and thats having met and dealt with a lot of cases.

David

9. Rosae

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 18 2011 15:31:31
    #

Login to Send PM

What kind of wood is used for the slats? Kind of plywood? Or is this type of bed only meant for a child?

10. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 18 2011 21:13:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Rosae: It's an English bed...for little tiny English people who live in little tiny English cottages. Haven't you seen the movie Holiday with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz?

(Pardon my humor: I thought the same thing but then realized that it would apply to most beds with Slats..or at least most Ikea beds)

11. Rosae

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 19 2011 5:04:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi theyareoutthere,

Most of these bed bottoms are made of beech wood here. Beech wood is strong and flexible. Here is an example of an average inexpensive bed bottom:
    http://www.babyentiener.nl/var/images/lattenbodem%20standaard.jpg
    Seems extremely difficult to protect against bed bugs.
    Here is an even cheaper one with less slats: http://productimages.wehkamp.nl/is/image/Wehkamp/?src=Wehkamp%2F534081_pb_01&$Mobiel2011Square304$
    DIY beechwood is hard to get. The average DIY store doesn't sell beechwood so I should buy something else and I wonder what.
    I'm not very heavy; about 55 kg.

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 19 2011 5:19:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

This is a US set of bunk beds.

I would however ask everyone not to get bogged down looking at the detail but to learn from the principles. I feel that given this document it is reasonable for most people to work out what to do on their beds.

Yes it does not cover the box frame of divan debate all that well but I am happy to law down a similar challenge, that project look about 35 high resolution images of detail and angles to put together. If you want to PM me and make arrangements I may do a section for that type of bed base.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,207 posts in 50,139 topics over 155 months by 21,919 of 22,414 members. Latest: Bigworm, Cain69, Bery10