Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » How bed bugs are changing the world

New mattress just arrived.....with bugs!

(15 posts)
  1. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Sep 21 2010 10:49:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Unbelievable!! The mattress and boxpring were covered in plastic, but the plastic had little 1/4" holes punched out over the entire surface. The company hauls away used mattresses and boxsprings, so I knw this would be a risk. It is partly my fault, as I ordered the mattress over 2 months ago, but delayed shipment until I could treat the room they were going in. I guess they stored it next to the old mattresses because I saw at least two bugs through the plastic. The drivers didn't know anything about bed bugs, but grew concerned after I gave them a lecture on the subject. I refused shipment. I am going to call Sealy, Serta, and Simmons, and hope that their mattresses are completely SEALED before I order again.

2. soscared

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Sep 21 2010 11:32:51
    #

Login to Send PM

WOW. that's really something. Paradoxically, I am glad there were enough that you could spot them easily. It should be against the law to haul away old mattresses except by sanitation and junk hauler companies.

3. BBGen0cide

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Sep 21 2010 12:04:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Its because they put old infested mattresses on the same trucks, completely idiotic.

4. MyWorstFear

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Sep 21 2010 17:44:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Good for you toledo for spotting them before they delivered that to your place. I wonder how many others who got deliveries that day (and the day before, and the day after, and on and on) will be members here shortly.

5. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Sep 21 2010 18:11:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Sealy, Serta, and Simmons claim that their mattresses and boxsprings come completely sealed. If anyone else is ordering a new mattress and boxspring, make sure you specify that you want it sealed when delivered. We need to get all the stores to "seal" up old mattresses before they put them on the truck.

6. bugnut

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Sep 21 2010 19:17:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Yikes! How well will the next one be sealed? Suppose it get ripped coming off the truck? You should encase it right at your front door!

I used to think that IKEA was the way to go - pick up your own. Then I read they allow you to "sleep on it" for up to 90 days then return it - no questions asked. Wonder what they do with THOSE mattresses?

IKEA- do you care to respond?

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Sep 21 2010 19:26:00
    #

Login to Send PM

bugnut - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Yikes! How well will the next one be sealed? Suppose it get ripped coming off the truck? You should encase it right at your front door!

The problem with encasing at the door is that encasements tear easily. Moving an encased mattress is risky for that reason.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Sep 21 2010 22:42:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugnut was right. We were going to put on the encasements before bringing them inside. Allergy Luxe, from Bed Bath & Beyond, are much stronger than most encasements. We purchased and installed 5 and none have ripped. We tape the zippers as an added precaution.

9. MyWorstFear

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 25 2010 19:35:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Once the encasements are on the mattress/boxspring, be sure that they LIFT the mattress up, rather than DRAGGING along the floor into your apartment. This will lessen the chance of it ripping.
    Two years ago we were going to get a mattress from Ikea for a college student. I called the store and asked customer service what happens to any mattresses that get returned for whatever reason. The person I spoke to was surprised by the question and admitted she had never thought about that and didn't know the answer. She put me on hold to discuss with her supervisor, then came back and assured me that they get donated to a charity. Of course, I have no way of knowing if this is true, and I encased the mattress we ultimately bought anyway.

10. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 25 2010 19:44:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Who did you buy it from? If a 'good' company get a lawyer and call the press.

Addendum: IKEA. Just caught that.

11. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 25 2010 19:52:47
    #

Login to Send PM

IIRC, many locales allow "slightly used" mattresses to br sold as new.

My parents got a mattress-like medical product this week. Its wrapper also had quarter inch holes (for venting, I guess) and the obligatory tear. I thought of this post. My approach was to eyeball the surface, seams and tufts. It ended up being sent back, as it was the wrong size.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  12. MyWorstFear

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 25 2010 22:28:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I just want to make it clear that we don't know from what store Toledo bought the mattress that arrived with bugs. If I read it correctly, Ikea was mentioned as letting you sleep on a mattress for 90 days and allowing you to return it for whatever reason, but we don't know that that's where Toledo got the mattress from.

13. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 7:35:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I got the mattress from Banner Mattress. I believe they are a local chain. They may have stores in California, too, according to the internet. They manufacture their own mattressess, which come in the bags with air holes. They also carry some of the big names, which come sealed. They are allowing me store credit, so my daughter can select a "big name" mattress. I hope to educate them, so that they will make some changes.

14. omgbedbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 13:37:48
    #

Login to Send PM

i just posted a similar story. we took delivery of a new bed for my son. he immediately complained of blood stains on the bed, which i stupidly ignored. three weeks later, after having been biten myself, i saw one in his room. after inspecting the bed, the box spring was full of them as well as feces and skin sheddings...the exterminator agrees that was the source of infestation and we are sueing for damages.

my life has turned into constant vacuuming, washing drying and patroling for bugs. although it's only been 2 weeks, we have not had any sign that they are back....i dont know when i'll feel safe again.

15. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 13:54:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Who did you get it from? What part of the country?

Jim

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,669 posts in 49,314 topics over 152 months by 21,612 of 22,037 members. Latest: Jaded48, ctd2289, N52B30AE