Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug news and events

New mattress, bed bug bites: one for the entomologists!

(2 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Apr 25 2010 0:32:06
    #

Login to Send PM

This Fox News story out of Detroit tells the story of a family who bought a new mattress, and then noticed their four-year-old had itchy welts. Looks like bed bugs all right.

I don't doubt they have bed bugs.

But WTF is the bug in the Fox 2 news video, apparently found in the plastic of the mattress? This one is for spideyjg and the entomologists!

More here, with video and my screenshot of the mystery bug. (Note: the video is much clearer than the screenshot.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Apr 25 2010 8:47:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I actually posted under the story. Looks like a scolytine curculionid beetle/weevil. Previously these insects were classified in in the family Scolytidae, but now classified as a subfamily. Commonly called bark or engraver beetles and the adult often infests dead, dying trees, but some attack living trees. Typical behavior is the boring under the bark by developing larvae to produce series or groups of groove lines and these can be species specific.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,217 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls