Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

New idea for a bed bug trap using CO2 and DE

(8 posts)
  1. Annafromdownunder

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Feb 24 2018 1:04:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

I have searched around for a homemade bedbug trap that does more than just tell you that you have them. I want to also kill them in the process and also, make it more effective than those sold on the market.

What I didn't like about these traps is that they don't really trap them, and also not that reliable because of their size. I wanted to not only identify if I have them, but also kill those who do make it inside the trap.
    Additionally, it does not rely on having your furniture leg inside it as you all know, bed bugs can hide in carpet, wall cracks, bedside tables etc...so these furniture legs ones are only good for one furniture rather than the whole room.

Wouldn't it be great if you could attract as many bedbugs from anywhere in the area to come to your trap? Surely, that would be a more accurate representation?

So my design can be used prior and post an infestation. I've added diatomaceous earth (DE) dust to the trap as a natural way to expose kill bed bugs once they enter/escape the trap. This seems logical to me that once you have bedbugs where you want them, why not cover them in insecticide?
    The idea of spreading insecticide or DE all over your home seems inconvenient, and a bit difficult to get in all the possible places they could hide. I would definitely spread a thin layer on your bed and bedframe and in areas you won't get in contact though. However, for the bugs you can't get to, this trap could potentially catch those ones you've missed. You can use any insecticide but I have lots of DE so I would use that and it's important to 'dust' a thin layer so that they crawl over it, not around it!

This trap could also help (not 100%) find out if you still have any bedbugs after 1-2 months of dealing with it. Much better than the shop brought or smaller traps anyway!

I imagine using this trap when you are not in your room for at least 3 nights to make it more effective as bugs feed about every 3-5 days. You can still use it while you sleep in the room but it won't be as effective as they're more likely to come to you. You could also leave this out during the day as bed bugs do come out during the daytime too, just not that often.

I have drawn my first draft of my idea for a homemade bed bug trap and would like people's opinion on whether they think it's effective, more effective or how I could improve it.

Luckily, I only had a small infestation (count of 15 bugs, not inc eggs) and managed to get clean of them pretty quickly. I am still getting 1 or 2 blood spots every 2-3 nights on the bed but they are the size of a marker pen dot and fresh blood. I've not felt any new bites but then I only react to large bedbugs biting me, not the smaller ones. This is why I needed a more reliable way of telling whether it is a bed bug or something else.

So, what do you guys think?
    I hope my idea could help inspire those battling with this.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Feb 24 2018 7:06:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Annafromdownunder - 6 hours ago  » 
    Please see my design here: http://i65.tinypic.com/29pdg74.png

Tinypic is one of the worst sites to host a picture. CO2 is heavier than other air components. That's why other units don't have holes on top to let it escape. Picture disappears when viewing and ads pop up. Your post is almost irretrievable.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Feb 24 2018 7:07:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Sarahaw - 1 hour ago  » 
    That's an awesome idea. What's the role of CO2?

Bed bugs are attracted to the CO2 that you exhale. They are also attracted by heat from your body at close range of around 12 inches or less.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Feb 24 2018 16:48:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Annafromdownunder - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Sorry, I'm a bit new to uploading images. I have adblocker so I don't see all the advertising that you guys see.
    Wonder if this is any better?

No. No image at all here. The info in the link must be incorrect.

5. Annafromdownunder

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Feb 24 2018 16:52:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, I think I've fixed it... Can you see it now?

6. bedbugsbugme

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Feb 25 2018 13:27:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Make an account in Imgur. It seems to work better for this forum.
    And no we still cannot see the pic

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Feb 25 2018 23:31:04
    #

Login to Send PM

There was a post with embedded image in the spam filter which is restored above now. That should solve the image problem.

For future, I recommend imgur.com or Flickr.com for images.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. Annafromdownunder

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Feb 27 2018 5:17:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the image upload tips.
    I tried Photobucket but they disable third party hosting unless I pay for a premium account.
    Will check out the imgur and Flickr.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982