New here - own my own large home

(7 posts)
  1. cantstandthis

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 5 2017 6:34:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been battling anxiety over this issue. Due to the size of my home and the price of professionals, I'm going the route of buying my own exterminating and protective equipment, and treating my home vigilantly. I've gotten rid of old infested furniture and have bought a $$$ professional quality steamer (dupray tosca, 316 deg) and have been attacking everything I can get my hands on. Having that at my disposal is the biggest thing. Just paid it up front and I can use it all day every day forever, hoping that the initial investment pays for itself. We also have 2 cats, so chemicals are not an option, as well I and my husband are quite sensitive. So the steamer will meet our sanitary needs even after this problem gets fixed.

I suppose like many others, the two biggest fears are the psychological ones (afraid to have company over, afraid to go places, afraid to confide in anyone, and when I do go places, afraid of "what if?" scared to sleep) and the financial strain. We are a single income family, in a large amount of debt, and because we are the owners of our home, must bear the financial and physical burden of this ourselves. It's got 2 floors and a basement, and the thought is just overwhelming. But the very fact that I can't afford to do anything else but apply steam and elbow grease is what's keeping me motivated.

I already have generalized anxiety disorder, and I feel emotionally and physically exhausted from everything I have had to do so far. The problem is humiliating and grosses me out, and I have gone through the wringer of feeling defeated.

I suppose my introductory post is just so that I can both get moral support from people who I am sure feel the same way, and just know I have a place to anonymously vent my frustration.

2. stardog32

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 5 2017 7:43:03
    #

Login to Send PM

You sound just like me. I already have anxiety and OCD issues. This has ruined me, and I had a PCO come out to do chemical treatment that I really can't afford. And am still finding bugs, though I've been told it's part of the process due to what I'm finding. I'm not so sure...

That sounds like a pretty big undertaking to do them yourself. Did you find them in a particular spot? Obviously the can travel and hide but maybe if you knew their harbourage point that might help an expert guide you.

Good luck! This is a nightmare and I'm exhausted, emotionally drained as well and I had professional help.

3. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 5 2017 7:50:05
    #

Login to Send PM

cantstandthis, you need to vent and perhaps the only value I add to this forum is to be here and tell you I feel the same way. I also find the hardest part of all this, besides the incredible about of work, is the inability to talk to anyone about the issue. I have told nobody but my mom. It is killing me, as I am a pretty social person and we are used to having a house full of the kids' friends, always up for hosting people for dinner, coffee, etc. I don't even know how to explain to people the sudden change in attitude or why I'm exhausted and on edge all the time.

I will say that it gets better. I do my best to take the necessary precautions and go on with my normal life outside the house. Any chance to get out, see people, and get my mind off BBs helps. I worry that I will never love being in my house again. I am on constant alert when I am home. Checking the beds and vacuuming causes me so much anxiety. Sometimes I don't vacuum as frequently as I should because I am afraid of what I'll find. Then rational self has to kick irrational self in the butt to get me moving. But I hear all of this gets better with time.

I would read through the FAQs about some non-chemical ways to enhance your treatment. David Cain's protocols are green and avoid chemicals, so perhaps they can help you. I am not an expert my any means, and I am using a PCO and chemicals. But I know there are people here who fought this without them, and were successful. It is possible.

Good luck.

4. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 5 2017 8:04:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't worry so much about the size of the house because unless the problem really lasts the bugs will still remain close to where they can get at you. So you just have to worry about the bed and areas around the bed, and/or couches, chairs where you spend a lot of time sitting. A big house may give you opportunities to treat things and bag things up and get them out of where you are treating.

The steamer sounds great, but you probably aren't going to get them all with just a steamer. It's possible, but unlikely, I think. Even David Cain, a professional in the UK who has been treating for years and years, supplements using a steamer with DE. But in the US we have access to something better than DE. You guys can use Cimexa dust; even with pets and the sensitivities you describe. It's very effective, cheap and quite safe, you can research it. It can be applied with a household paintbrush, just get all the cracks and crevices of couches, beds, walls and around bed legs and furniture legs. Use a mask to apply and do it in the morning to let it settle for hours before you go use the room. You'll notice not exactly a smell, but you'll know it's there for the first couple of days and then you only notice if you touch it on accident. Then you just rinse hands and apply lotion.

5. cantstandthis

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 5 2017 11:41:14
    #

Login to Send PM

ithoughtlicewerebad - 3 hours ago  » 
    I would read through the FAQs about some non-chemical ways to enhance your treatment. David Cain's protocols are green and avoid chemicals, so perhaps they can help you. I am not an expert my any means, and I am using a PCO and chemicals. But I know there are people here who fought this without them, and were successful. It is possible.
    Good luck.

First off, I love your username. I've dealt with lice with my kids before and it's nothing compared to this issue. (For the lice, getting the hair all greasy with mayo, combing it out completely and washing everything, and boom, was free of it) and to be honest that phrase "I thought lice were bad" was one of the first thoughts that went through my head when I realized what we are now up against.

As a few other kind repliers have suggested, I've ordered some DE (I am in Canada) and will be applying it everywhere I can. I've also bought a few bottles of Murphy's Oil Soap with orange oil. Our family is also getting rid of every blessed thing we truly don't want - partially spring cleaning related, but an asset to have far less clutter.

I'm going to be blitzing the crap out of my place like mad. I've had nightmares and feel gross and paranoid everywhere I go, even after a shower and fetching clothes fresh out of the hot dryer, I just want to have no reason to suspect anything. This steamer is professional grade and was over a thousand dollars. Many of the reviewers said they bought it for the same reason as I did, some in a professional capacity, with good results.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I am doing a lot of research and going to be working hard. Room by room, item by item. leaving no stone unturned.

6. cantstandthis

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 5 2017 11:52:15
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving - 3 hours ago  » 

The steamer sounds great, but you probably aren't going to get them all with just a steamer. It's possible, but unlikely, I think. Even David Cain, a professional in the UK who has been treating for years and years, supplements using a steamer with DE. But in the US we have access to something better than DE. You guys can use Cimexa dust; even with pets and the sensitivities you describe.

I agree. Thank you for your advice. The steamer is just the beginning, and one of the more expensive things I wanted to get out of the way. It's a commercial grade machine which I broke down and ordered after being reduced to tears from the cheap "Over the counter" steamers I got from Canadian tire, made in China. Should have bought the real thing first!

I have ordered DE so far, I am in Canada and will research the cost and availability of Cimexa dust. It seems USA folks south of us have a lot more ready options than we do.

I bought several bottles of murphy's oil soap spray and will be attacking every wood surface with that, and keeping the cats away.

I still have a lot of research to do, and I long for the day when I can relax and no longer be "crazy mom" because the lack of sleep is affecting my ability to behave like a .... person ... rather than an escapee from an institution.

7. cantstandthis

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 5 2017 12:09:28
    #

Login to Send PM

stardog32 - 4 hours ago  » 
    You sound just like me. I already have anxiety and OCD issues. This has ruined me, and I had a PCO come out to do chemical treatment that I really can't afford. And am still finding bugs, though I've been told it's part of the process due to what I'm finding. I'm not so sure...
    That sounds like a pretty big undertaking to do them yourself. Did you find them in a particular spot? Obviously the can travel and hide but maybe if you knew their harbourage point that might help an expert guide you.
    Good luck! This is a nightmare and I'm exhausted, emotionally drained as well and I had professional help.

Thank you so much for your kind reply. It is good to know I am not alone and my feelings are not unique.

I may over time seek a professional but am doing all I can for the immediate fix with my own resources. It will help me in all stages to know what to do if I educate myself.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,662 posts in 50,011 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me