Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

New Here! Need Advice

(7 posts)
  1. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 22 2012 12:53:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I found bedbugs about 9 weeks ago in my sons room. He had a wood bunk bed with a lot of hiding areas. Since he was a typical teen it had bloomed into quite the colony. I panicked , ordered a garbage bin and gutted his room. I used bedbug spray and DE. I have continuously vacuumed and steamed everything. He has moved to his sisters room and her to mine lol I always dry all sheets, clothes at high heat for half hour after everything is dry. I saw nothing for over 6 weeks. Then my daughter got bites on her feet after she had put on her winter boots for the first time. i found a dead bb in my sons shoe. I went mental and steamed every shoe in the house 3 times. Since then nothing on the feet. My son woke up last week and one scooted behind his pillow. I killed it. Checked room and bed thoroughly (all mattresses are covered with bb protection)
    In my daily inspection i found a dead under the couch , no other ones. No one has been bitten will sitting or napping on the couch. (i carry a flashlight and spend about 1.5 hrs every morning checking the house) . Today i found one under a shirt in my room it had not eaten yet. I have become obsessed with this . I don't want to completely panic, i cant seem to help it tho. I have never had any in my room before. Is it normal for there to be a few stragglers ?
    I was just about to let my son back in his room and put the clothes in his drawers. Is it too soon? Since the bites on the feet no one has had any bites that I know of. All 3 kids have major reactions to them . I'm not sure if i have been bit ever or not . I just cant figure out where these few are coming from. No one is allowed into my sons room except me to clean and monitor . I'm beginning to think thats the safest room . Im getting tired , really tired , I would like to dream of something besides bedbugs infesting my house. Any helpful comments on where the stragglers could be coming from would be very helpful or if you think there's another group of them somewhere.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 22 2012 19:55:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear cassie,

Is this a single family home?

I'm assuming it is for now.

Straggler bed bugs can occur but there are other factors we need to consider as well.

It appears we don't know if you react to bites or not. This may come into play if you do not react and there have been bed bugs in your room that you are unaware of. This would explain the bed bug under the shirt deal you describe above.

There is only one way to know for sure if you react to bites or not however, I cannot wholeheartedly recommend that you purposely allow a bed bug to feed on you like some of us do.

In the meanwhile you will need to:

> maintain your vigilance

> conduct inspections as needed, say about once per week

> install some monitor/trap devices

> place preventative blocking devices under your bed legs

Yes, you may be tired now however, the effort youre expending now will result in bed bug elimination someday soon.

Hope this helps, good luck ! paul b.

3. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 22 2012 21:21:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Bello,

Thank you for all your suggestions. I have double sided tape on every bed post . I have double sided take around the original room that was invested and behind the couch in the family room . it is a single family home. We think we brought it home from our vacation . I have never found anything on the tape. My youngest has taken residence in my bed and she does get quite a bad reaction if bitten. So im guessing there is none in my bed, that and i check before bed and after we get up. I have every bed at least a foot from the wall. I have only seen 2 alive outside my sons room (after my initial spray i only saw 3 alive in my sons room ) , one in my daughters bed and the one on my floor. I check every bed, couch, chair everyday with a flashlight . Its become obsessive with me . I steam every room at least once a week and vacuum everyday. I will never feel secure again. I just cant figure out these random bb's . Besides the shoe incident, there have been no bites in 9 weeks. I know its just 2 and a week apart in sightings but i almost think they are toying with me lol. im waiting for an on slot of bugs.

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 22 2012 22:06:37
    #

Login to Send PM

One thing you might try is set your alarm for, like, 3:00 AM, get up and go bed bug hunting when they are most active and out.

Good hunting ! pb

5. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 24 2012 9:42:52
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 1 day ago  » 
    One thing you might try is set your alarm for, like, 3:00 AM, get up and go bed bug hunting when they are most active and out.
    Good hunting ! pb

I wake up every night i haven't seen any at all moving about. Im armed with my trusty flashlight and check all the rooms . Still no movement at all. These random sightings are driving me insane wondering if they are maybe from the original shoe issue, maybe they laid eggs from the bite to my daughters feet and she carried a few eggs around the house, then when i steamed all the shoes I killed the rest . Damn , off to steam the shoes again and another round of sani-washing the clothes . I will win Even if it kills me lol

6. Koebner

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 24 2012 14:17:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Double sided tape is no particular use. Have a look at the Useful Stuff section of this website - something like passive monitors in your beds will be more effective.

Do read this FAQs to help you understand the problem, as well as the "Bite Primer" post in the green stickies at the top of the forum - as Paul suggested, not everyone reacts to bites so just because only some members of your family have bite reactions, that doesn't mean they're the only ones with bites.

7. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 28 2012 17:20:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Koebner - 4 days ago  » 
    Double sided tape is no particular use. Have a look at the Useful Stuff section of this website - something like passive monitors in your beds will be more effective.
    Do read this FAQs to help you understand the problem, as well as the "Bite Primer" post in the green stickies at the top of the forum - as Paul suggested, not everyone reacts to bites so just because only some members of your family have bite reactions, that doesn't mean they're the only ones with bites.

HI

Thank you for the advice I do know that not everyone reacts. My daughter who has severe reactions sleeps with me in my bed so thats where my assumption comes that there are none in my bed. My other 2 kids also have severe reactions and have not had bites in a very long time. All the random bugs i have found have not eaten , they have that black circle in the stomach and when squished no blood. We found quite a small one on my sons duvet the other day, again when squished it had not eaten . The double sided tape advice came from an exterminator that i know. We have never professionally treated. I vacuum, steam and clean all day. My son has asthma so other than the first treatment i put down (the DE around baseboards has mostly been vacuumed up) I am trying to use the steamer and murphys oil soap around the house. I dust with vinegar, lemon, and tea tree oil . Thus far just one incident of bites in 10 weeks. but have had random singular sightings. I search every day with a flash light and have yet to see any signs anywhere. I have read every possible thing i can on bedbugs Just wondering where they are coming from .

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88