New here and desperate for help!

(3 posts)
  1. Domsmom88

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jan 16 2016 2:55:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I just registered on this site and I am desperate for some advice. My husband and I are waiting for income tax money to be able to afford to hire a professional. We don't have much money and 2 children so until the tax money comes in we can't even think of an exterminator. I cry several nights a week and have horrible anxiety over these little bastards. I feel like a horrible parent because I can't keep these bugs off myself and my children. My husband doesn't seem bothered by bites my son doesn't really have visible bite sometimes he says he is itchy but my daughter a friend of mine who we have been letting stay with us and myself are plagued with bites. I am the worst my arms look like those of an IV drug user. My daughter and my friend they seem to go away quickly my do not. I am afraid to push up my sleeves in front of people for fear they will ask about my "rash" or worse yet not ask and make assumptions. We can't sit in our living room without them crawling across the furniture or worse across us. How do you live a semi-normal life when you don't want to invite people to your house or you fear you are carrying them on you to work. I constantly feel like things are crawling on me. The worst part is I don't know how the hell we got them we only stayed in a hotel once and that was over a year before we found them! I would appreciate any advice or support I can get because I really feel like I am losing my mind!

2. Bugginout90

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jan 16 2016 3:08:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Some PCOs have financing, have you had one come out and give you a free estimate or anything?

3. BugaMeBugaYou

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jan 16 2016 15:39:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh boy do I know where you're coming from! You are NOT a bad parent because you can't afford expensive pest control right this moment. This problem can happen to anyone and not many people anymore have thousands of dollars sitting around at all times. Try not to beat yourself up. Way easier said than done, I'm very aware.
    I second the comment above to call around, explain your situation financially and see if anyone is willing to work with you. How about a relative? Anyone who will help you guys out right now and you can pay them back? Do NOT be ashamed to ask for help if you truly need it.

The only way I've been able to cope has been letting my OCD go into overdrive and clean everything, and by cleaning I really just mean using my dryer and vacuum a TON. Do something that will make you feel better. Don't be afraid in your case where there are so many- to toss your bedding in the dryer daily for an hour, to run the vac over the carpets in all the rooms and in the couch crevices, etc. You're not going to hurt anything but you will come out feeling accomplished and like you did something.

I know many people here say there are no natural repellents as far as oils and the like... and they're probably right from the standpoint that if you use them alone, like if you sleep alone, live alone, etc. and there is nothing else for them to bite, it probably WON'T work... but I personally have found that Lavender oil (essential oil, not a "fragrance oil") in a carrier oil like Jojoba or Almond, applied to the skin before bed CAN work to repel the bugs IF YOU ARE SLEEPING WITH SOMEONE ELSE WHO IS NOT USING IT. It's giving them a choice to get a meal from someone who "stinks" or someone who smells yummy. My husband doesn't react to the bites at all. I do. I have been using a homemade Essential Lavender Oil spray rubbed into my exposed skin areas right before I go to bed at night. Lavender oil is also VERY good to apply on wounds/cuts/scrapes/bug bites in general. It's a natural antiseptic, and an anti inflammatory so it will reduce itching/swelling/redness. And the fact that it's also used for inducing relaxation and calming anxiety is icing on the cake. It's been used for over 2,500 years and is one of THE most recommended oils to have in your home. I wrote a huge thesis on this one herb several years ago for my Herbalist course. The only downside is that many men can't stand the smell of it! lol

Hang in there. This too shall pass!

I am a certified Herbalist, Aromatherapist, and Reiki Master Practitioner who is working toward a PhD in Natural Medicine but above all that I'm just a Mom obsessed with learning about Bed Bugs. Here to comfort and support some of the lost, panicked, and frantic until expert help can arrive.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,196 posts in 50,137 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69