New forum rules?

(9 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Apr 23 2009 14:27:59
    #

Login to Send PM

In all seriousness, what rules would you like to see laid out for the forums?

What would make your experience of the forums better?

What would most help bed bug sufferers who come here?

You can see current "rules" in our terms and conditions of use, but I am thinking of a list of rules for the forums, which may be more comprehensive.

Please reply below, and feel free to discuss other poster's suggestions.

Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. BugsInTO

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Apr 25 2009 10:36:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I just want to comment that I have learned a lot more than just stuff about bedbugs from reading the forum postings.

Bedbugs make people frightened & angry and they lash out with postings that are not pleasant to read and maybe break some of the rules. And over & over again, people reply with patience and empathy showing they understand the real message underneath.

3. begonebedbugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Apr 25 2009 19:59:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I am glad I found this forum and have learned alot also - I just wish more people would reply to posts instead of just reading them. I never feel like I get enough responses or advice whenever (I) post anyway! I know you cant make a rule about that tho...

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Apr 25 2009 21:24:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I have wondered whether or not people think it would be useful for there to be a section of the boards just for the PCOs who are here. I know that I talk shop with people who do what I do for a living differently than I talk shop with people who have a different job.

Some of the conversations in some threads, for example, about the training of bed bug detection dogs feel very much to me like debates within the field of pest control. And if there were a place in the fora that were specifically set aside for those kinds of discussions, those of us who are curious about new developments could read them, but they might be slightly less likely to break out into lengthy discussions in other threads.

On the other hand, a PCO only area might only be really useful for PCOs if the rest of us couldn't read it, and/or might provide too great a challenge in terms of the forum rules about self-promo/advertising.

So I'll leave it to wiser, and less cold med drugged, minds than mine.

5. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Apr 27 2009 16:29:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Rules, rules, we don't need no stinking rules! Just manners and intelligence. On second thought perhaps we need some rules.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Apr 27 2009 16:32:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, put it this way, after applying very much patience, and hearing very much vitriol, I just banned someone.

What are the conditions under which this should happen?
    (Banning, I mean, not applying patience...)

7. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Apr 27 2009 17:10:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually I believe that in open societies and forums you do need to have rules or the mean, the uninformed the louts, the "ner do wellers" and the shout you downers takeover. And while there may be no stupid questions, there are a lot of inquisitive idiots and lazy people (RTFFAQS). Of course all too often folks are left without an understanding of things like insects and their ways which is unfortunate and only become obsessed with them as pests. Unfortunately the converse is also so, as often the self declared self righteous green meanies attempt to enforce their will on all others with as yet unseen consequences as pest related issues are increasing as our arsenal is being depleted, and this includes sound IPM and least toxic materials as well, killed by the dotted i and crossed t. Yet another reason for rules "the soap box" I'll get down now but one always has to be concerned who will protect us from the protectors. Rules, rules I guess we can use some reasonable rules. And if you felt the
    need to ban someone, well based on site history you probably had a reason, and truth be told this is not a totally open forum but rather one that tries to maintain an intelligent, rational outlook.

8. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Apr 27 2009 17:43:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I certainly think personal attacks and suggestions that create clear and present danger should be censored and if continued the offending party may need to be "banned". Gee it sounds so goth when you put it like that.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Apr 28 2009 0:51:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I sent you a PM, Mr. O'Buggy.

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991