Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

New Dog Sniffers - Finally in Alberta

(16 posts)
  1. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 29 2008 14:59:43
    #

Login to Send PM

This was realized in Edmonton today. The stats are pretty scary - saying half the apartment units are infested. Really makes you want to start fresh, build and buy all new things hey?

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=3a8c02f4-9985-4237-9c69-cc6fcb334eb3

2. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 29 2008 19:43:30
    #

Login to Send PM

So that's the third dog in Canada then? (2 already in Toronto). I didn't realize Edmonton was having such a problem. Usually when you hear about bedbugs in Canada the focus is on Toronto or Vancouver as the problem cities.

And half the apartment units in Edmonton are infested? That's a scary-high estimate. You're in Edmonton, aren't you gypsy? Do you think the estimate is accurate? Stories like this make me paranoid, since I will be moving there soon.

3. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 29 2008 19:58:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I think they (pco) said half the blocks have them,not half of the apartments.Big difference but still not good.

4. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 29 2008 21:41:35
    #

Login to Send PM

ahhhh yes, suddenly it makes more sense. still seems like a lot though.

i'm assuming each block refers to an apartment complex then? i'm noticing increased reports on bedbugregistry.com for the edmonton area just recently as well.

5. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 29 2008 22:35:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I think people are being more made aware of the problem, there's more coverage in the local news on how to prevent and treat bed bugs. I am hoping the city becomes more involved and passes a bylaw/act like in New York.

I'm almost wondering, when Mainstreet evicted tenants a couple of years back for not complying with rules for bed bug prep (which is bullsh*tz because they didn't give me any advice, I looked up on the net myself), I think a lot of those families took the bugs with them to their new homes. Plus we have a lot of homeless now, more in the last year than ever, and they are diving into dumpsters more than ever. So now wonder entire neighbourhoods are being infested. Gross.

6. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 29 2008 22:37:03
    #

Login to Send PM

And yeah, my last couple of posts are kind of bitter and angry because I've just made umpteen trips to the dumpster to throw away all the clothes, books and other things I've collected. Though I found a way to save cd's.

Took all the discs out of the packages, took the first page of the book/label, and put them all into ziplocs which I am taking with me. The cases are going into storage for now. Same with some books.

7. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 30 2008 21:15:46
    #

Login to Send PM

yeah i remember reading about the mainstreet tenants, such a sad situation.

are there any areas in edmonton, in your experience, to be extra watchful when hunting for an apartment? i've looked on the registry, but i realize it isn't fully representative given the number of people who either a) don't have internet access or b) aren't inclined to do detailed research/bug registration online. any tips you have would be super appreciated.

re: your books... when i moved i took alllll of my books with me, an entire wall of them. i baked every last one of them in the oven at 120 degrees F for three hours (no longer or the bindings may melt!). be sure to include a pan of water in the oven to maintain humidity and watch carefully to be sure to prevent any fire hazards! the dogs have given me the all clear in my current apartment since i moved from the old place, so either it worked, or the books were never infested to begin with. it's worth trying however if you want to save specific books, as heat is a documented way of killing them (baked bed bugs in vancouver has a table available on their website that lists what bugs are killed at what levels of heat, and how long it takes).

as for cds, i froze mine. they're still bagged up and in the freezer now in my current place (-20 celcius) several months later.

hope some of this helps! (and sorry if i'm going off track from the original thread...)

8. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 30 2008 23:00:06
    #

Login to Send PM

lilbit, stay far from Mainstreet Equities and BoardWalk - used to be owned by the same rental corporation. Honestly, I don't know who's good to use since I'm moving to private rental. I'm only going to be at this condo for a year or two, until my boyfriend and I build a house together. At least that's the plan.

Drop me a line when you're coming closer to the date, maybe I'll know of places available.

9. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat May 31 2008 8:19:32
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks gypsy. we're going to be looking at houses as well, but we'll need an apt for at least the first little while. i'm relieved edmonton has a dog now, it'll come in handy when doing house inspections down the line.

10. BakedBedBugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 4 2008 23:34:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Vancouver now has a dog as well!
    This makes me very happy as I hate telling people with "bites" that what they are experiencing might not be bed bugs at all.

There is a ThermaPure Licensee in Edmonton (not me) if any of you want their info, shoot me a pm.
    Tony

11. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2008 11:48:43
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks tony. i didn't realize edmonton had thermapure as well. are edmonton and vancouver the only two locations in canada that are doing thermal treatments, do you happen to know? i only ask because so many people in the ontario area seem to be struggling with bedbugs right now as well, i hope something thermal-related is available there soon!

12. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2008 13:33:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hah I just emailed my PCO company, and they had NO CLUE that Edmonton acquired a Dog Sniffer. I forwarded her the news link too. LAME. I'm still fighting to receive my paperwork from this company. Thinking that this company aren't the professionals they claim to be. Anyone ever heard of Orkins? They're the ones with the dog.

13. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2008 14:01:20
    #

Login to Send PM

yeah pretty sure orkins is a big name pesticide company. they do a lot of different kinds of pest control from what i understand, not just bedbugs. i think that quite a few people on the forums have used them. not sure what their treatment protocol is so i can't really comment on how good they are in that regard. i'm relieved they have a dog now though, at least there is finally one in the area.

14. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2008 16:10:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Update - Orkins dog inspections cost $250 for an apartment, takes about one hour....no free inspections.

15. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2008 16:32:17
    #

Login to Send PM

i think that that's pretty standard gypsy, i haven't heard of any free dog inspections, although maybe they exist. the dog inspection of my apartment here in ontario cost $300.00. the extra 50 was because he had to travel an hour by car to get here. he was here about 45 minutes.

16. BakedBedBugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2008 18:08:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Currently I believe that Edmonton and Vancouver are the only two options for Thermapure licensees. Having said that I almost flew out to St. Catherines for a job. Turns out it was another insect, not bed bugs. We will travel, if you will pay. (hope that doesn't come across as an advertisement cause I don't think it is very likely many folks will be willing to pay the costs invloved.

Yeah Gypsy, those dogs cost BIG bucks. They have to charge that kind of money otherwise no one would have a bed bug dog.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,771 posts in 48,891 topics over 151 months by 21,460 of 21,863 members. Latest: SimpleObserver, get_out, Dannie