(6 posts)
  1. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2008 8:05:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Just a quick post to say that I have just uploaded a new document to the newsletter and useful information section of my site. We have been using it for a while as a way to introduce the issue of communication between neighbours, particularly areas where our mapping and pattern recognition tools identify a high risk of neighbour to neighbour transmission.

The file can be found at the following link:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/index_files/Dec2008NewsletterNeighbours.pdf

It is designed to be printed double sided on A4 paper then folded in three. I am pretty sure that I can recreate it in US legal letter size if anyone wants a more regional version.

Feedback is as always appreciated.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited
    http://www.Bed-Bugs.co.uk

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  2. bbdk

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2008 9:57:39
    #

Login to Send PM

They have a picture of the infestation on wood, but are they positive all of those marks are actually feces and not marks of slight rot?

The reason I'm concerned is because there is (was) a tear on the arm of my cheap desk chair. I tore it a little bit more to look inside, and there are scattered black stains that look like they're actually part of the cheap wood, and there is no discoloration at all on the foam that is pressed up against the wood at all times. No signs of bed bugs, eggs, or shells. So, for now, I'm considering it just rot, but have taped it up thoroughly so nothing else (BB or moisture) can get in.

Generally, what are the differences between BB poop and rot on unfinished wood? Does poop look more superficial, or does it get absorbed into unfinished wood to change the color?

3. bugbattler

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2008 11:01:57
    #

Login to Send PM

hi bbdk - I had a canvas painting whose frame got infested. I also had a cheapie chair w/ untreated wood for a frame, which was to my knowlege, uninfested. The chair had spots just from being cheap and the painting's frame had spots from the bbs. I couldn't tell the difference really, except that the painting was way worse & had bugs/eggs in it (yuck!!!) I threw away the chair eventhough I thought it was not infested because w/ the spots on the wood I didn't feel confident that I could know for sure or that I could easily tell if it became infested.

4. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2008 11:03:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, now that is a very positive, informative brochure. I think this brochure could be very helpful to those who are in apts to be able to share knowledge with other tenants. As usual David, you are very helpful in sharing knowledge and putting together a most helpful brochure.

5. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2008 11:28:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David - The brochure is really great. I wish someone had left one for me when my neighbours discovered a problem! I especially like that you mention that BB infestations have nothing to do with living conditions.

I think my only comment would be about the 2nd picture of the mattress. I mean, all the pics are great, but my concern is that the pic shows a fairly extreme case. Do you think that people will assume that if they don't have a situation with so many bugs and eggs, that they are BB free? Neither of the mattresses in our apartment looked like that pic, despite the level of our infestation. Of course, you are the expert David, and if most BB infestations you have seen involve beds that look similar, then the pic is perfect.

The pic of the piece of wood was really accurate. My daughter had wood slats under her boxspring and, when we threw her bedframe away, the wood slats looked exactly like that pic.

Keep up the good work, David!

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2008 12:36:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK a few points to answer and clarify.

BBDK, yes I am 100% that is 100% bed bug mark and nothing else, I took the picture myself. Yes it can at times look like mold or marks in the wood but the idea of the handout is to encourage people to look and think about bed bugs as an issue. The difference between bb faecal traces and rot / marks on the wood is that BB faecal traces will smear when saliva is applied and they are generally rather round shapes.

bitten123 no probs, we work on stuff like this because we do at times find neighbourhoods with such high leve;ls of activity that we need the tools to get discussions going with neighbours. Its a subject I have spent a lot of time working on today so some of the more observant amongst you will find a few other documents around on the site.

Itchy-Scratchy point taken on the apparent extent of the problem but in that case the infestation was pretty much limited to only that single frame. The total number of BB's in that room where caught in the one shot. I have also picked images that show a great deal of sign because lets face it if an adjoining neighbours infestation is going to be bad enough to pass through to you it is more likely to be at this stage than the lighter side.

Again I am happy to create a US legal paper sided version of the brochure in PDF format so that people cant print and Z fold for local use, I am even happy to go some branded with other information sites as long as the links are to accurate sites.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956