Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

New Bed Bug Victim....might be going crazy!

(5 posts)
  1. PhillyGurl1218

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 17 2010 9:24:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

My husband and I recently discovered we were victims of bed bugs. We have no idea how they infiltrated our row-home. Neither of us has slept at any hotels, and we haven't gotten any new/old furniture. My only theories are that is may have come from 1). my job in a hospital, although I do not have any contact with patients or patient rooms, 2). the gym (Is is possible that perhaps a little bugger was waiting for me in a gym locker?), or 3.) a neighboring house. The fact that we can't figure out how this happens is driving us both nuts! How do we know if can ever prevent another infestation?

The infestation was discovered in our bedroom. I was fearful that they might inhabit the guest room also, so my husband and I spent a night on the couches in the living room. I woke up with 2 new bites. I am assuming that the couch is infested also. I went out and bought an air mattress and we slept on the living room floor. Again, I awoke with more bites. Is there no escaping them? Is it possible that they migrated from the bedroom to the living room because we were sleeping down there? Are we doomed to suffer with these irritating bites until the treatment is performed?

I called a professional and I waiting another 4 days for treatment. I was not aware of the timely preparation that was needed. I am not looking forward to doing 10 loads of laundry and living out of plastic bins and bags.

I am already beginning to feel the psychological effects of this mess. I am exhausted and can't sleep. Every time I close my eyes I imagine the little buggers all over me. I imagine that they are waiting for me in my bed and on my couch. I'm scared that this fear will never go away. We are going on vacation next month and I am afraid that they might be present in the beds there. How can I overcome this fear?

Any advice or success stories would be helpful!
    Thanks!

2. Jacksfullofaces

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 17 2010 10:05:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Philly
    Unfortunately moving around simply makes the bugs travel around the house with you. So you end up infesting more rooms.The bugs are not really interested in your sleeping arrangements - they just want to dine on people so sleeping on an airbed will not prevent you from being bitten. While you are waiting for the Pest Control Company you should put double sided sticky tape around your sleeping area to minimise bites and washing your bed linen on the hottest wash possible followed by tumble drying. Tigerbalm ointment helps ease sore itchy bites.
    If it is of any consolation I freaked out when I found our bugs but I'm dealing calmly with the situation now.
    Jacks

3. Jenn28

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 17 2010 10:29:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Philly,

I felt the exact same way when my husband and I discovered the problem. It bothers me as well that I will never really know were they came from. I'm into my 4th month with this battle and I still can't sleep some nights and feel like something is crawling all over me. I am also not looking forward to the hords of laundry when the time comes. We have a TON of clothes in the closet.

Some advice? Don't sleep anywhere else in the house but your bed. You are helping them spread through the house. Your not going to sleep well or avoid being bitten no matter were you sleep, so you may as well stay in your bed. You will probably never look at going to bed the same way again but it does get better. You'll feel a little better once your laundry is done and the exterminator has been.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Jenn

4. PhillyGurl1218

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 17 2010 16:08:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your replies.

I just don't know if I can sleep in my own bed right now. Just the thought of them being there really freaks me out. I have never been so exhausted and anxious. I dread not getting a good night's sleep until I know they are gone.

I have been thinking of staying at my mother's until the exterminator's come. Do you think it's possible for me to bring one there? What if I was really careful and packed some things in a Ziploc bag and ran my clothes through the dryer as soon as we arrived in the house? Would that be a good way to prevent the spread?

Thanks again!

5. Jacksfullofaces

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue May 18 2010 5:42:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Philly
    if you are going to do this I would suggest the following. Buy some cheap new clothes and go somewhere you can change into them for example public restroom. Take a zip lock bag and place your used clothing into it. I should think you could then feel safe in not speading them to your mother's house. I agree it is important to get some sleep.
    Jacks

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,817 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs