New bed bug treatments

(12 posts)
  1. sassy123

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Feb 11 2015 20:30:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone,

I was talking to a friend of mine about my circumstance. He asked me whether I was only concentrating on US research on how to eradicate bed bugs. He asked what other countries have found. Does anyone know whats going on in other countries? I know in the US its the Fungus research from Penn State which looks very promising and the histamine trap thats just been invented. Is there anything else?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Feb 11 2015 20:34:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Neither of those options is available yet.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. sassy123

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Feb 11 2015 20:36:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Its my understanding that the fungus from Penn state will be available in about a year OE so and the histamine trip in the Fall. I hope these two options pan out. Is there anything else?

4. NY Bug Man

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Feb 11 2015 20:54:01
    #

Login to Send PM

It seems as if they are trying to get EPA approval. If intact it is approved i believe only licensed PCOs will be able to purchase. Looks like some hopeful stuff. Lets see where it goes.

5. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 12 2015 5:56:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know if the EPA runs field trials to see if these things work, and if so, if it's possible to sign up for that?

My guess is the fungus thing will command an outrageous price, but if the histamine trap could help gather rogue bugs into one spot, it might help somebody in my shoes further confirm troublesome, almost inexplicable long term, only occasionally confirm able, and almost hidden infestation. The fungus thing would then be able to wipe the sneaky buggers out. But I'm not holding my breath, and by God, I better be done with the problem by then.

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  6. sassy123

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 12 2015 6:41:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Robinsmom,

I am not sure about the field trials. If I could do this also, I would. I never thought of that. As for the histamine trap, its my understanding from what I have read that it can be used to check if treatment was successful and possibly for very low level infestations. It would not be useful to get rid of bed bugs if you have a full infestasion. I would wait to hear from the experts about this to make sure.

7. sassy123

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 12 2015 6:42:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Of course both items are not yet approved so we don't know yet.

8. sassy123

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 12 2015 6:44:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess there are no other treatments at other countries that are promising. If there is, please let me know.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 12 2015 8:25:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

There is a lot of good and valid research being done elsewhere in the world. I was always impressed with the Cuban solution which is based on a simple organic oil but its a messy process.

In other parts of the world we have progressed treatments to a stage where in many situations were it takes longer to get to the job than to fix the infestation.

I am just not sure what it will take to get some of the rest of the world on board and up to speed.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  10. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2015 6:31:36
    #

Login to Send PM

David, what do the Cubans do? You've piqued my curiosity!

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2015 8:46:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

They spray the bed and frame with a coating of oil that effectively smothers the bedbugs. It comes down the the fact that labor and natural resources are more abundant that cash in that economy. In fact in the rest of the world there is definitely a better understanding of treatments and "what it takes to get the job done" in a cost effective fashion.

Personally I don't see the Cuban solution as being viable elsewhere as the oil base will eventually "go off" and in most settings that is just not acceptable.

We also have more effective solution in use in the field.

David

12. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2015 16:16:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, no residual and doesn't treat items like sofas.

I've always been intrigued by the kidney bean leaf thing, myself. But I think it helps control, not eradicate. Would be cool if the mechanisms behind this were brought to market. There WAS one guy on kickstarter, I believe, who claimed he had invented a fabric that could trap bed bugs based on the way the bean leaf traps bed bugs, but it was an older website, so I don't know where that all headed. Might have been interesting had it panned out--line insides and crevices of places bed bugs like--surround chair and bed legs with it, etc. I even emailed the guy to see where he stood, but I never heard back.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14