Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

New bed bug bites, or old ones that are now just reacting and showing up?

(5 posts)
  1. Redtape

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 19:47:17
    #

Login to Send PM

So i have bed bugs. I do not believe the infestation is too bad yet though. I wake up with a few bites every morning, but I have only spotted one in the one month I've probably had them, and ive read that if you have a bad infestation you would be spotting at least one every few days. Also, I have only ever found one blood spot ever so far on the wall behind my bed. Have not found any on my bed or box spring so far. All this leads me to believe that I have bed bugs, but not too many yet... Or at least I hope. I'm tight on money right now so I can't afford an exterminator at the moment. Not sure what I'm going to do. It's been stressing me out lately. I haven't gotten much sleep at all the past few days because of it. Went one night not sleeping at all and the next night only sleeping four hours. I feel like crap.

Anyways, my mom wanted me to visit her for the weekend, she knew i was stressed and said i needed to get away for a bit. I did bring a little bit of clothes (just two pairs of pants and two shirts, underwear and a pair of socks) but I made sure to check them thoroughly for any bed bugs and fanned them out multiple times, then I made sure to tie them up in plastic bags and put them out in direct sun light for an hour or so. Then I put them in my trunk while I was at work and my car was parked outside, and it was about 100 degrees out that day, which would mean the temperatures in the trunk had to have been pretty extreme, and I'm guessing the heat killed any bed bugs off that might have possibly been on my clothes. When I got to her house, just to be safe, I put all of clothes right in the washer and then in the dryer on high heat setting for an hour. Shoes I made sure to keep outside, and all other stuff brought with me (mp3 player, phone, headphones, wallet, ID, etc) went straight into a zip loc bag. I thought i was bullet proof. Went to bed that night, still stressed, but i managed to get 4-5 hours of sleep (which compared to how much I've been getting in the last few days, is a godsend. Any sleep right now is appreciated!). Much to my dismay though, I woke up scratching, and noticed what i thought at first were new red bumps on my back and one on my ankle, just those two though. "Oh no" I thought to myself! How could this be!? I took all the proper precautions, and checked myself and my belongings thoroughly before entering my moms, plus the sunlight and trunk heat treatment I did, how could they have somehow managed to tag a ride with me!?! I seriously checked all my clothes thoroughly, there's no way bed bugs can be THAT small. I checked the room i was staying in (which is a pretty empty room, nothing but a bed, a dresser, and maybe a picture frame or two, so it was easy to inspect) and did not find any signs. No blood spots, nothing. But then... I thought to myself. Maybe I didn't get bites last night. Could these possibly be old bites I have gotten a few nights before at my apartment that are just now reacting? Usually depending on the bites, sometimes I react right away, and other times it takes me a while to react to them and for them to show up. Could these be old bites that are just now reacting? Is that a possibility? I really dont think i brought any with me, I seriously checked my stuff super good. But if I somehow did, I would feel really bad...

2. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 20:00:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Bites don't emerge immediately. It's very possible bites gotten days ago are emerging now. I had the same thing happen to me when I stayed with a friend during my infestation.

3. Redtape

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 20:10:36
    #

Login to Send PM

AshamedandScratching - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Bites don't emerge immediately. It's very possible bites gotten days ago are emerging now. I had the same thing happen to me when I stayed with a friend during my infestation.

Thats good to hear. Makes me feel a bit less paranoid. When this happened, did you get worried that you might have spread them to your friend? And how long did old bites keep appearing for when you were staying with your friend and when did they stop appearing? Ive heard old bites can keep appearing for up to a week after you've been bitten.

4. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Oct 16 2012 21:11:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I've heard that sometimes old bites can reappear after even a year of being bitten! My guess is that they wouldn't be as big and itchy though. I can only speak from personal experience. My first bites were the biggest. After that, I immediately got professional treatment and the bites (if they were in fact bites) became much smaller. . .

5. rosiehatesbedbugs

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Oct 16 2012 21:25:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Redtape, so sorry about what you are going through. My thoughts are with you. Yes, as many say. Each persons reacts differently to the bites. Some old ones can flare up in times of stress, toxins, environment. I am not an expert but this is what I am reading from many forum users. The stress of this is so hard I understand your fears I go through my own. I do hope that you can get some sleep. Maybe talk to a doc about this? So sorry that you cannot get an exterminator, is there anyone who can help you out?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams