Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

NEW APT QUESTION(used to have a BB prob)

(18 posts)
  1. jcl08

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 14:08:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone.

I am about to move into an apt in NYC that used to have a bed bus problem. The super said that they got the three necessary treatments and that was it. How do I know if the problem is resolved? While changing the lightbulb, my friend found dead bed bugs in the light fixtures, but I was hoping that this was from the previous infestation?

What can I do to ensure that I won't have a problem before I move in?

Thanks in advance!

2. vampireweekend

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 14:45:29
    #

Login to Send PM

i've been wondering about this myself, and about what you could do legally if a landlord conceals the truth.

3. bugzd

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 15:17:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Did the entire building get treated?
    If not, don't move. The problem most likely will not have been solved. See what you can do legally to get out of the lease.

If so, talk to the neighbors at the very least and gage the current situation. But even if the neighbors report no problems for now, you may want to still consider other options. Also, google the address and look at bedbugregistry.com and see if anything pertinent comes up. I'm in NYC too and I know what a nightmare it is to find an apartment, but better to be cautious...

4. prayforamiracle

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 17:35:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I would not move in a building with a known infestation.
    They could have just gone next door and will be back. How long ago was it?
    Right before you move in or 6 months ago.
    I know they rented out my apt and the guy abouve me with the initial sourse in a second. I don't even know if I ever had them, after 3 months of hell, because the bugs I gave the final pco where not bb. When the Ll pco lead me to believe it was. i was getting bite.
    i still get bite everyday in New York. Is this misquitoes? One bite , not in rows. I don't even know how a bug could be biting me - like on the hand, without me seeing it. I am pretty much living a sterile life in my new place and I got the clear from the bb dogs. I lived in plastic and limestone for 3 months. I wash my clothes as soon as I get home, mop the floors daily, vaccumm and don't even have anyone over for I feel they could bring one. This is the hell is breeds in your mind.
    I think they are just every where in New York. The key is to clean and kill them before they can set up shop in your house.
    I mean if they bite you in the city they retreat back to there hiding place and then they let out some numbing thing so you don't feel them for hours , sometimes 6 hours later. Did this bite come from being out in the public or are they here?
    This is a crazy way to live.

5. prayforamiracle

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 17:44:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Also finding bb in the light fixtures, sounds like it was not a light infestation, but heavy, to be in the light fixtures.....
    CAUTION..«Ö¿Ö»
    You might be stuck at this point. Hard to move and all.
    What to do then...I would leave most my stuff sealed in plastic, till, I confirmed there are not now.
    Only unpack min, until you are sure. Then you don't know if you or your roomates get a reation to the bites, so you will not know they are there, in this case until there are so many, you can't not know. Watch for signs.
    I'd ask alot of questions about when this was, and the neighbors.

6. angie

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 19:12:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I suggest you follow your gut. If you don't feel right about the whole situation, then maybe there is a reason!! Remember...your gut will never lie!! Personally, I would walk the other way and shower and change my clothes and never, never look back. I refuse to live that way again!! Good luck!!

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 21:04:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I would be very wary. There is no such thing as the "three necessary treatments." It can take 2, 3, 4, 5 or more treatments (usually a sign neighbors still have them and are not being treated--they may not react to bites and so can have NO idea).

If all infested units were not treated, others may still have them and even if your unit doesn't, it may again in time.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. jcl08

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 9:45:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately I signed the lease, trusting that the issue was resolved. Can I go and in and do some pre-treating? Maybe have a PCO go in and treat the apt as if it has bedbugs even if I'm not sure it does?

9. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 10:11:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I think that it is possible to get out of the lease. You could say that you felt pressure at the time that you signed and did not have enough time to seek professional help such as researching and speaking with entomologists and PCO's.
    I think that the term is called undue influence. Some research would help you on that.
    Oh yeah, no way would I feel comfortable about moving in even though bed bugs are becoming as common as termites and it will be getting harder as time goes on to find a building in any city that has not experienced some kind of bed bug infestation.

10. bugzd

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 10:13:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Contact a lawyer (or 311?) and find our your legal options. Were you told about the bed bug problem before or after signing the lease? I think this point makes the difference... If after, I would think you could get out of it.

11. jcl08

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 10:15:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I was told beforehand, but not by the management company, but by the people who lived there. I wasn't very familiar with bedbugs prior and thought it was a like any other bug problem which can be helped with treatments. Honestly, the more I keep reading on this board, I feel like it's a hopeless situation. Am I wrong?

12. mangycur

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 10:34:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Jc108,

it's not hopeless, some people DO survive bed bugs. It's just really hard. But I think you have some ammo if the management company didn't tell you beforehand, and the tenants did, and you found dead bugs in the light fixtures . . . if that's your choice.

it brings up a really interesting question though. Should we ever move to a new apartment, ever, knowing that there might be bugs there waiting for you?

13. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 11:10:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Even if you hire a bedbug dog to inspect the apartment you are renting, there still could easily be bedbugs elsewhere in the building, and it would be impossible for you to have the dog inspect all the units. Bedbugs move easily around a building and will find you. Even if they exterminate the bedbugs in your building, there might be a tenant who is regularly bringing bedbugs back in from where he or she works or from a place he or she regularly visits, so your building might never get rid of them.

From all I've been through in my building, I would never move into an apartment that had bedbugs. It's been an on-going nightmare. Even with many treatments over many years we still have them. I am afraid to move with them, and I don't trust moving into any building since so many buildings in my area are infested. If you are moving to an apartment building, it could be infested without your knowing that it is, but I would not move knowingly to this building. You will have to move out anyway, break your lease, and incur costs of getting rid of the bedbugs from your things (Vikane, etc.), moving expenses. If you break your lease now, at least you don't have bedbug-related expenses. Since you are knowingly moving into a building with bedbugs, it might be legally harder to break your lease while you are in the building if they are in the continued process of treating. After all, they warned you and you knew what you were getting into.

14. bugzd

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 16:10:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I think that as long as the mgmt company did not disclose it, you can get out of this lease. You don't need to tell anyone that you spoke with the tenants beforehand. And even if it does come up, you can say that the tenants led you to believe that it is not a current problem-- but what you have discovered since then (ie bugs in the light fixtures-- a sign that there could be a serious infestation) probably contradicts their statements.

There are many cases of tenants breaking leases and getting broker commissions back after signing a lease on a bb apartment. Also, if you present yourself as a very difficult tenant and threaten legal action, they may let you out of the lease without much further hassle. It may be easier to let you go than to deal with the headaches that you promise to cause them. No need to be nasty-- just firm.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 22:36:26
    #

Login to Send PM

In NYC Met Council on Housing can give advice to tenants about housing laws. Their info is in the LINKS page.

16. cocob

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 13:15:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Dont move...I suffered a lot moving into a bedbug infested apartment.
    check it here http://www.sentl.com my experiences.

17. jcl08

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 22 2008 15:11:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I just spoke with my super and he seems pretty confident that the issue is resolved. He also said that none of the other apartments reported an issue. Do you think it should be ok?

18. fightorflight

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 23 2008 6:05:03
    #

Login to Send PM

jcl08 - It's obvious you really want to move into this apartment. Finding a decent(?) place to live is such a relief.

However, you have posted this question on a forum packed with people who have had bad experiences with bedbugs (and what bedbug experiences are ever good?) and the majority response has been, don't do it. So if you are looking for reassurance that your move and new life are going to be okay and bug-free, you have come to the wrong place. A friend who has not experienced bedbugs will give you the reassurance you seek. And the super? What's the super supposed to say, Yeah dude, we have an ongoing bedbug problem and we just can't solve it. How long do you think he would keep his job?

As for me, I say, if you decide you want to try and get out, consult legal counsel. You might be able to get out of that lease for many of the reasons others here have already listed. And a lawyer consultation will probably cost you less than either a) the cost of unofficially trying to duck out on the lease; or b) dealing with a bedbug infestation.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,459 posts in 46,587 topics over 142 months by 20,548 of 21,414 members. Latest: Lubbocklady, Losingit1011, srbutler