New Apartment and Infested

(15 posts)
  1. BBScare2017

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 1:50:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all. I recently signed a lease for a new apartment last week and started moving things in yesterday. I took my son's bed upstairs and when coming back down the steps, I seen a large bed bug on the wall. 100% it's a bedbug so I put it in a little container to show my landlord. I started looking around the first floor and didn't find anything else. I've heard it's highly unlikely people just have one so I went upstairs to look around. I counted over 20, all different types of sizes, on the walls and closet in the three different bedrooms. None looked like they had recently fed and were all moving really slow. A majority of my things are in boxes and plastic totes on the first floor so I immediately got a change of clothes from the car, changed us both and left. I didn't even take his diaper bag because I was scared one might come back to my old place.

I have a few questions and greatly appreciate any help from you guys.

- The stuff I unloaded in the new apartment I had in a storage building for about a month. Prior to that, it was in the house I'm in now. I don't believe I picked them up from storage because with so many different stages, wouldn't they require a host to feed and grow? No way to get that in the storage unit and with that many, wouldn't I find signs in the boxes and totes?

- Also, it seems unlikely they all decided to just up and crawl to the second floor. Maybe they are on the first floor and just started hiding in the things I brought in but should I start unpacking things and going through it or wait for the PCO?

- I understand that after you get a place treated, it's recommended you still sleep in your same bed to draw them out. With me not being in a hurry to move in and able to still stay at my old place, what would you recommend I could do on my own to help with what the PCO does?

Sorry for the huge long post. I was soooo excited to get this apartment and this just absolutely crushed me. My couch was just delivered today and I have a new bedroom suit that should be delivered Monday (which I'm going to hold off on or bring to my old place). I just wasn't sure what to do. Any advice and steps is so very appreciated. Thanks!

2. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 2:02:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you post a picture please so one of the experts can ID the bug? Thanks

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  3. BBScare2017

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 2:50:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Pretty certain it is but sure

4. AgeanStable

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 7:08:42
    #

Login to Send PM

wrong thread sorry

5. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 7:40:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely looks like a bed bug. But I'm not an expert, so you have to wait for the official ID.

The chance you brought them in with you is about 0%. I would say that most of the people here who have experienced bed bugs wouldn't go ahead and move into that apartment. That's actually a lot of bed bugs, because many will be hiding.

Getting stuff out safely will be tricky, you can bag stuff up and run in the dryer, hopefully the bag is soft, you could throw away diapers if you couldn't run it. I would think that stuff in bins would be ok, but I personally would probably try to figure out some way to be sure. Tough situation. Heat works, but I'm not sure how you would get your hands on a heater this quickly.

Maybe if you broke your questions down into smaller pieces, it would help people be able to be helpful.

6. BBScare2017

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 11:22:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to talk to them first thing in the morning and demand my deposit back or them move me to another apartment. Moving now scares because I'm afraid I would reinfest the next place. I actually killed one climbing up my leg a few minutes ago but I went straight to work right after that episode.

How easy is treating your car?
    Would any of you let the PCO treat it first then start going through your things to move?
    Also, my dog was there briefly. Would you recommend I do anything to her or is it unlikely bedbugs would even catch a ride with my dog back to my old place?

I remember signing a paper saying I would notify management as soon as I seen any kind of bug of that sort and wouldn't treat the problem myself so I didn't kill any I seen on the wall. Sort of had this bad feeling all night about how their getting in all of my boxes and such. Makes me sick.

Thanks again for any help or input

7. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 14:02:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, my dog was there briefly. Would you recommend I do anything to her or is it unlikely bedbugs would even catch a ride with my dog back to my old place?

If the dog was only there briefly I wouldn't be concerned.

Our cats lived full-time in our infested apartment. When we moved out (mid-infestation, ugh) we combed them with a flea comb. They were clean.

8. BBScare2017

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 17:50:46
    #

Login to Send PM

That's good to know at least haha

I have some more pics I would like to share. I went back today to look a little more because last night I think I was just in shock. I actually found shells that had been painted over and spots where they painted that looks like dead bugs. On the second story ceiling, I seen what must of been 11 or 12 very small bedbugs.

My question is, Could that actually be tested and if it's proven to be a bedbug, could I possibly take some form of legal action?
    I'll be happy just getting out of my lease but it just seems like it would be illegal to rent a property that you know has bedbugs.

I will post pics later when I'm home. I can somewhat make out a couple but the rest are difficult.

9. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 26 2017 18:42:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Painted over bbugs? Yikes, run away as fast as you can from that apartment complex and any other apartments owned by that company!

Account closed
  10. BBScare2017

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 27 2017 8:50:37
    #

Login to Send PM

These pictures aren't very good quality but here is some painted over

Also, not really sure if this is BB related

11. BBsufferer

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 10:07:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BBScare2017,

You are much lucky than smarter than me. We struggle for 3 weeks and lost everything. I still advise you to bath your dog with luke warm water and dog shampoo especially for flea to play safe as I got cats and have to bath them. Soak and brush his fur with flea comb the best before rinse. Take care.

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 10:37:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I think its quite clear that this infestation precedes your occupation of the unit and yes it is bed bugs.

You need to check on legal responsibilities in your area along with what treatment options are available.

My personal recommendation for the fastest and most efficient solution would be an insect inferno trailer which could literally load up and resolve the issue as you drive to the next location.

The vehicle might be resolvable with a deep valet and you should set up to proactively monitor the new home from the start. This way any stragglers can be dealt with without the need to go through a complete treatment.

It is certainly difficult to see how someone painting the property could have missed that level of activity and the question then becomes why it was not dealt with at that time.

This may be an issue you wish to seek legal assistance with.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  13. BBScare2017

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 11:26:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. My apartment complex is large and owns several different properties in the area and have their own PCO. He and the manager went to the property with me to see first hand after looking at the pictures. The manager was apologetic yesterday and told me they wouldn't hold me to my lease. Today. Management seems to be pressuring me to honor my lease and stay there. They said with him spraying they will be gone. I recorded our face to face conversation where she said they would not hold me to the lease because I assumed they would do this.
    The PCO doesn't seem like he knows what he's doing. He said he would spray for the bugs and come back in two weeks to spray again. He said I could go ahead and take my things in boxes out because it's likely not infected lol. He said he couldn't confirm the bugs painted over were bedbugs and could be anything. I heard of test they can do to determine if something is a bedbug so maybe I should get tweezers and take some to be tested.

Either way, I live in the Knoxville Tennessee area. Not sure what pest control options are available in this area but will research. I'm preparing myself with the understanding that I have to touch everything in those boxes before I move it. Maybe buy tons of plastic totes, drag box by box to the porch and touch everything. I'm not sure. I will look into the trailer thing to see if anything is available here. I'm also going to contact an attorney today to see legally what I can do.

14. BBsufferer

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 13:14:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck to you. Hope you get your money back.

15. BBScare2017

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 5 2017 1:43:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I spoke again with management and requested my money back again but was a little more firm this time. I spoke with an attorney, advised them that I had spoken with an attorney and would be seeking legal action if I was not paid back all the money I gave them. I did also ask for her address and told her my family would be over for dinner and to live in a spare room she had since mine was violated lol. Of course they agreed to pay me back when I threatened legal action. It was crappy of her because she told me I had to have all of my things out this weekend so they could do a final walk through. I asked what the hurry was and if she planned on renting it out quickly since they advised me it would require at least two treatments. She said of course not but they are all about money. I made friends with my soon to be ex neighbor and told her everything that was going on. She had no clue what bedbugs were and said they had been killing stink bugs for the past few months and noticed random bites on them. She was sweet and totally clueless so I gave her my number and offered to help her in anyway I could. It's a shame that people have to deal with things like this.

As for my stuff, my friend has a large barn that they don't use and agreed to let me put my things in there so I could go through them and treat whatever is need treated. I can't locate a mobile van or anything like that. After moving 95% of my things out today, I still never seen any bedbugs downstairs. The PCO seemed rather clueless and said he "fogged" the bugs and treated my things. A few days later, I went back, seen a couple of dead ones on the floor, removed some wall plates for the cable and phone and tons and tons of bedbugs hiding lol. It's just unbelievable!! I purchased some of the pest strips and put my electronic things like TV, Microwave, stuff like that in large industrial size trash bags with the pest strips. Washed and dried all of my clothing but not too sure what to do about my washer and dryer and large items like that.

Anyways, I'll update if anything else happens but want to give this board so much credit! The tips, FAQ, and search function has given me incredible knowledge of these pest! Thank you all for what you do!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,799 posts in 50,040 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen