Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Introductions

New & Infested, Need Support

(21 posts)
  1. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 0:30:05
    #

Login to Send PM

First I love this site. It's provided encouragement and resources so far. Thank you for existing.

My story.

I moved into a nice apartment (as best as I could afford) to provide my little ones with their own space. A month later, and I pick a bedbug off my bed. Now my apartment is in chaos and shambles, I'm sobbing myself to sleep every night as I listen to my baby sleep next to me and my other kids sleep in their rooms full of anxiety and fear. I was informed by landlord the next door apartment was treated around the time I moved in, but that this apartment "looked ok" and was deemed free of pests.

I don't even know what I'm looking for. I'm just so sad, I feel like I have failed my kids. I'm also extremely tight on money and I had to get a credit card JUST to afford garbage bags, laundry money, and mattress covers. I don't know what to do. I feel like I lost everything for my children, I'm quickly becoming depressed. I think im looking for a next step to take. I have no family and am really going at this alone, I just want to know I'm not alone and maybe get guidance.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  2. ItchyBump

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 1:01:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Misery,

First off. HUGE HUG.

You have come to the right site. There are many helpful people on this site. And there are those of us who have been and are in your shoes right now.

I am not an expert but I think your Landlord should be helping you out with treatment hands down. An apt can 'look' free of pests but doesn't mean a thing. Do not be afraid to stand up for your rights.

I know panic is probably setting in and you feel hopeless. I felt the same way. What I wish I had done was find this site and then follow the steps in Bed Bug Faqs Link.

Please don't feel alone. Just log on here and see that there are many people fighting the same fight. I'll pray for you and that we all will see an end to this plague of pests.

3. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 8:56:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I know I'm not alone per se but I am alone in my apartment with my kids. I'm surprised at how depressed I have become. I have no money (spent everything I had moving to this hell hole) and I have no physical help. Just me 24/7 with some preteens and a baby. I cannot get anything done. The baby screams and wants to play. The preteens have school and homework and barely two hours a day to do anything on their own. I've been keeping them in but they're kids. They need to play and enjoy life or they'll become as bitter and negative as I feel.

I just don't know what to do.

4. sleepyhead22

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 9:00:46
    #

Login to Send PM

so is your landlord paying for treatment? are you prepping and that's why you're so overwhelmed? if so, it gets MUCH better after the first treatment. i felt so overwhelmed and helpless before treatment. after the first one, you don't have much new to do aside from the usual laundry/vacuuming, and life can return to somewhat normal. it's just the first week or two that is the worst. i also had a really hard time affording laundry/trash bags/plastic bins/encasement/bed frame, but now that that's over, there isn't a continual expense.

5. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 9:21:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I had my first treatment yesterday. I was 95% ready, the PCO was kind enough to move my beds and some furniture. Everything I own looks like Mt. Everest. I don't even know where my clothes are, this is day two in this outfit.

Do I stop my kids taking their backpacks to school since they keep them hanging on their beds?

Do I make them walk naked downstairs to get dressed in freshly laundered clothing out of the infested room?

My infants electronic toys are stored a foot away from one bed (which had bugs and encasements) so are those trash now?

Do I use my blowdryer on the baby's bed every night?

What do I do with my photographs that are stored in a box in my closet?

So much to do. It is very overwhelming. I'll be honest, i'm not sure i've stopped crying over the last 24 hours. I take breaks and then sob awhile longer. I read the FAQs and information contained in this site but i'm not sure how to apply it to what I have/need. I can't purchase anything. My income is almost exactly even with my expenditures, as I said, I had to get a credit card to buy encasements ($250 just for those!!!!!!!) and the rest, what about the rest. All my school books and furniture. The childrens toys. I don't have the ability to search every crack, I feel like i'm running in a circle and I keep getting lapped.

6. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 9:29:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, should mention landlord is paying for spraying. No steaming or anything else...... the guy just soaked the walls, corners, and baseboards.

7. BBphilly

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 9:37:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I am sending you positive vibes. I to have a youngster and it is nearly impossible to be productive. I just keep saying slow and steady wins the racer, and do as much as I can one day at a time. Good luck

8. sleepyhead22

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 9:56:42
    #

Login to Send PM

misery - 22 minutes ago  » 
    I had my first treatment yesterday. I was 95% ready, the PCO was kind enough to move my beds and some furniture. Everything I own looks like Mt. Everest. I don't even know where my clothes are, this is day two in this outfit.
    Do I stop my kids taking their backpacks to school since they keep them hanging on their beds?
    Do I make them walk naked downstairs to get dressed in freshly laundered clothing out of the infested room?
    My infants electronic toys are stored a foot away from one bed (which had bugs and encasements) so are those trash now?
    Do I use my blowdryer on the baby's bed every night?
    What do I do with my photographs that are stored in a box in my closet?
    So much to do. It is very overwhelming. I'll be honest, i'm not sure i've stopped crying over the last 24 hours. I take breaks and then sob awhile longer. I read the FAQs and information contained in this site but i'm not sure how to apply it to what I have/need. I can't purchase anything. My income is almost exactly even with my expenditures, as I said, I had to get a credit card to buy encasements ($250 just for those!!!!!!!) and the rest, what about the rest. All my school books and furniture. The childrens toys. I don't have the ability to search every crack, I feel like i'm running in a circle and I keep getting lapped.

okay, i had a lot of the same questions as you (minus having kids, but do have a husband who thinks i'm being very extreme so it's like having a kid :P). i'm NOT an expert, but here's what i did after recommendations from this site and my PCO.
    -I would start drying clothes and keeping them in a particular bag that you label as outfits for now. i have about 5 outfits i wear at the moment, it really makes things much easier. if i didn't get them dirty while i was out, i take it off right when i get home and put it in a tied garbage bag by the door. i wear that again the next day (minus undies, LOL) and just don't care what anyone thinks about me. i have pajamas which i take off right after getting out of bed and keep them by the bed to wear the next night (cuts down on laundry), change into fresh undies and have a "lounging outfit" (which i keep in the living room) which i wear inside my apartment, not in the bedroom. i wear it for a few days before getting out a fresh one. my husband does the same. it really isn't much work once the system is in place. for your kids, i think they'll be fine changing in their bedroom as long as they don't sit down before leaving.
    -Can you have your kids stop hanging their bookbags on their beds? i would put them through the dryer and then consider them sterile, but keep them in a room that hasn't been infested.
    -The electronics are probably fine. I would spray a paper towel with isopropanol and then wipe them down. Make sure to put in a new, clean storage space (either garbage bag, bin, etc ).
    -You should not need to use your blowdryer on your baby's bed, assuming that the PCO sprayed the furniture (mine did). Plus, it probably wasn't really doing much good.
    -I would seal up photographs for 18 months. that's what i'm doing with all of my keepsakes (including my wedding dress! we just got married :X). since they're hard to treat without a packtite, and you don't really NEED them over the next year and a half, i think sealing them up is the way to go. we have about 3 bins from my whole apartment which are sealed off. it's probably overkill, but better to be safe than sorry!

try not to be too overwhelmed, since all of the tough work is done now... i'm assuming the PCO sprayed a residual insecticide, in which case if there are bed bugs hiding in crevices/electronics/etc and they come out to feed, they will be exposed to the insecticide. i also was having to take breaks to cry while doing the prep... now i just am in the waiting stage, surrounded by all of my belongings in bins and garbage bags. but at least the tough work is over.

9. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 10:08:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I just called the people who sprayed, and asked what to do. They said to buy Nuvan and put it in some sealed storage totes for 30 days to a year to kill anything inside? Does this work? Anyone else heard of this? That's another chunk of cash I don't have but my best friend says she will buy me storage totes as an early Christmas gift if I want her to. I just don't know about this Nuvan stuff i've never heard of it. I don't want to spend a single penny on something useless.

10. sleepyhead22

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 11:15:00
    #

Login to Send PM

my PCO advised the same thing, but i also didn't do it because i visually inspected everything i packed away/sprayed it down with isopropanol and if it wasn't easy to treat that way, i just packed it away to not be opened. if you're going to have it packed away "up to a year", then might as well skip the strips and just keep it sealed for an extra 6 months.

11. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 11:25:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I will try to get my landlord to pay for that but if he can't, I don't know that I can. I just got confirmation my 'Christmas present' of four 50 gallon totes will be available for me to get tomorrow so I am out the cost of a roll of duct tape and i'll just bury everything forever.

I need to figure out what i'm doing with my dressers. They were all brand new just given to me two months ago unfortunately, i'm not sure they got sprayed but i'm hoping they did...

12. Mmm

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 12:02:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand your frustration and uncertainty co
    etely....I also have a little one and it does make it more difficult to deal with this situation . I do not have answers for you as I have not received very good instructions my self, but can say that I am so sorry you are going through this and pray the nightmare ends for you soon.and I am always an ear you can vent/talk to.

13. sleepyhead22

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 12:09:32
    #

Login to Send PM

misery - 41 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks. I will try to get my landlord to pay for that but if he can't, I don't know that I can. I just got confirmation my 'Christmas present' of four 50 gallon totes will be available for me to get tomorrow so I am out the cost of a roll of duct tape and i'll just bury everything forever.
    I need to figure out what i'm doing with my dressers. They were all brand new just given to me two months ago unfortunately, i'm not sure they got sprayed but i'm hoping they did...

What are you saying you would try to get your landlord to pay for? Rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) is a few bucks available in the medicine section, and you can use any spray bottle for it. I think 4 huge bins will be plenty!

14. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 12:12:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh that I would see if he would buy the Nuvan strips. I will be using the bins for childhood drawings and photographs. Not sure on everything else but really, those are the most important thing. If I lose everything else that is all that matters to me.

Now I just have to figure out when i'll stop randomly sobbing. That would be a good thing. The interactions here really help me focus and see an end. I just can't see the end. All i've known are horror stories, about how no one gets rid of them without dumping everything they own in a dumpster and moving.

15. sleepyhead22

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 12:20:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, the crying will stop with time. Once I had a week bite-free (which was one week after treatment!) my morale improved significantly! It's been almost a month bite free for me with no signs of bed bugs. The people who never get rid of them are generally people who try to go it alone without a professional. unfortunately not everyone can afford treatment, so it drags on. Counseling has helped me a lot. Self-care is important too- set aside an hour if possible (after your kids are asleep or while at school) and give yourself permission to relax and do something you enjoy. Walking outdoors helps me realize these bugs are just bugs and a part of life. You will get through this and be able to tell the story of how you beat them!

16. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 12:25:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I should note i'm not in danger... I realize now that my posts seem that way but I promise it's not like that. I am definitely at the bottom of a very deep hole right now but I know i'll climb out even if it costs me everything it wouldn't be the first time i've had to dump my life and start with nothing by myself. I'll work it out. I just don't know where to start... i'm gathering little by little here. Everything helps.

17. silentstone7

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 14:59:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, I just wanted to chime in and say you aren't alone! I hit a low point last week, and since then I've been prepping for the PCO and isolated my bed. Not getting bit and having something to do both really helped improve my mood a LOT. I'm the only person in my house that has a reaction to getting bit, and unfortunately it's a bad reaction. I had over 60 bites (I counted!) and was just TOTALLY miserable. Now I'm not getting bit sleeping in my bed (even if it is wrapped in plastic covers, with traps on all the legs, in the middle of the room, and I have to wash the blankets and sheets nightly!) and sleep helps a LOT in having the right mindset to fight back against the bugs!

I'm hardly out of the woods yet, but I just wanted to say that every day it gets easier to deal with.

18. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 2 2014 16:39:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the support. I'm hoping i'll just gradually feel better. Until I can make progress I doubt it but at the same time eventually i'll get one room done and two rooms and three..... right?

19. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 3 2014 9:26:33
    #

Login to Send PM

So i'm staring at my vacuum cleaner and realizing i'm wholly unaware of where any pantyhose are. I need to vacuum now as my infant isn't in the residence....... any suggestions? Can I just use my vacuum and thoroughly clean it? It's a Shark Navigator Lift Away that was given to me for Christmas last year. I would prefer to not ruin it. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

20. sleepyhead22

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 3 2014 10:18:51
    #

Login to Send PM

we've been just using our vaccuum in non-infested rooms first, then doing the room we knew was infested last, emptying it out right away, and then spraying down all the parts thoroughly with a bathroom spray cleaner! haven't had any issues, we asked our PCO and they said it was adequate.

21. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 3 2014 10:20:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, I was going to spray it with Isopropyl Alcohol (I'm poor, and it's cheap lol) but that's my goal. Thank you very much!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,395 posts in 48,808 topics over 150 months by 21,434 of 21,838 members. Latest: dc8184, bedbugtoronto, stinson