(6 posts)
  1. futbol1997

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 18 2008 15:26:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone!

I am so glad I found this place and am hoping it will help us to eradicate these awful vampirious bugs in our home.

We found them about 3 weeks ago. We think they came home in a bunkbed we got off of freecycle for our boys. That and the mattresses have been sitting outside disassembled in our back yard for 2 weeks now. Since we took them down and out our boys have not been bit.

We've had a friend of ours come to the house and spray with gentrol and suspend mixture twice (once every two weeks), I've been washing clothes like mad. Gotten rid of some clutter (only stuff I intend to throw away), vacuumed all rooms, steamed the furniture and am getting some DE from the local nursery today.

I have three small children. One girl and two boys. The boys are in a room together. my daughter has her own room. Youngest boy was on top bunk and not getting bit. Daughter is not being bit. Husband has been bit sleeping on the couch and I have been bit in our room. The largest amount of bugs was found in our boys room on the bottom bed. Bless his heart (and mine) my oldest son was eaten to bits. We thought we were dealing with a bunch of mosquitoes but couldn't figure out why we werent' seeing them. Until..I talked to an entemologist at the University of Arizona. Sure enough I found the bugs in my bed, on the couch and in my sons room. we weren't to the point of blood stains yet. So I think we caught it quickly enough that we don't have a horrible infestation.

Here's the deal though. I would really rather not bring back in the bunk beds and mattresses. I'd rather send them to the dump. The frame especially as it has way too many nooks and crannies for me to cover. It would be very tedious and my kids don't stay out of trouble long enough for me to do that.

#2 my husband and I have a mattress that is supposed to repel dust mites. It's got a foam interior. does that mean the bed bugs won't want to go inside it???

#3 Should we get rid of our lazy boy furniture?? There are sooo many places for these bugs to lay eggs that I probably can't get to. Or should I just dust them with the DE and continue vacuuming like crazy???

#4if I'm using the food grade DE can I dust that onto the boxsprings???

#5 do I really HAVE to get encasings??? (we really don't have the money and our friend is spraying the house for free)

Thank you all so much in advance for your responses and advice. I'm hoping that since it seems this is a small infestation that we won't have any problems getting rid of these bugs. Thanks so much!

2. Marixpress

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 18 2008 15:47:44
    #

Login to Send PM

UGH!!!!!! I can't even read anymore: I stopped at "Freecycle". I used to sing Freecycles praises to anyone that has ears. For those of you that don't know, Freecycle.org is like craigslist only free. Anyway, since this happened to me, I can't even think about getting anything 2nd hand. I emailed the admins at Freecycle and urged them to send out a bulletin warning freecyclers about bed bugs but they didn't listen to me. Anyway, I'll get back to reading your post now.

3. futbol1997

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 18 2008 15:52:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah I've pretty much made up my mind I'm NOT using freecycle anymore. not unless it's to get rid of stuff and only once I'm bedbug free. My biggest complaint was how can someone knowingly give away stuff that has bedbugs??????? What kind of a person would do that?????? That really tans my hide!

4. Marixpress

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 18 2008 15:57:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe they didn't know? You should be able to contact them via e-mail and let them know just in case they don't know. Check your "sent" mail 3 weeks back to get the person's email address.

5. BugsInTO

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 18 2008 16:17:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi 1997 - Sorry for your trouble. If I were you, I would discard the bunkbed frame for sure. My son has a junior loft bed and so far it seems to have escaped infestation, but my husband and I took a good look at it and we both agreed that it would be impossible to salvage if it got bedbugs. So, I agree that the nooks and crannies are too much.

Also, get it out of your backyard as soon as possible. Not to be an alarmist but bedbugs can travel overland outdoors. The backyard is still too close.

You might re-use the mattresses, but only if you treated them and encased them. From my perspective, once I knew a mattress was infested, I would encase it. See the info elsewhere on this site on encasements. Get those mattresses dealt with or out of your backyard too. Yikes.

Re: DE etc. Our PCO recommended against dusting anything that moved because it would cause the dust to fly into the air, and you don't want to inhale it. We have a platform bed with a mattress on it, and we considered dusting the platform and putting the mattess on top. When the PCO explained, it made perfect sense.

I am glad your friend is spraying for free, and it sounds like you are doing what you can vacuuming and steaming.

I can't comment on your mattress, but I haven't read that this type of mattress is immune.

As far as encasements go, you'll have to decide, but they do make it much easier to inspect the mattesses in general.

I wish you all the best. We all know how much work this takes. Good luck.

6. Livingagain

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 19 2008 6:58:34
    #

Login to Send PM

That's nice your friend is spraying for you guys, he can forget about the Gentrol though, it's not supposed to work on bed bugs (you can look it up), and so it's just one more chemical in your house.

Make sure you take off the plates on outlet boxes and put Drione Dust or something (the guy spraying should know how to do it safely) in there.

I hope this doesn't discourage you, but if you have bugs in at least three places this is not a small infestation. You need to really declare war. I can't imagine being able to save the LaZ boy furniture, but there are people who have done it. (One guy saved a leather couch with d-force, but it lengthened out his getting rid of the bugs. He said afterward that if it happened again he would just toss it.)

A couple of thoughts; AZ has thermal remediation and Vikane because of termites so maybe it's not as expensive there because of competition. If things get really desperate maybe you could borrow some money for that. Thought two, a forum member who also has kids just went 55 days (buggedinMD) and posted what she did to get there, maybe you could get some ideas from what she did, or some of the other success stories here.

Best wishes. One good thing, you probably don't have to worry about your car getting infested if you leave it outside regularly in AZ.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081