Nervous about Heat Treatment

(3 posts)
  1. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 1 2017 16:57:45
    #

Login to Send PM

When Heat Treatment is done at 140 degrees, how common is it for damage to occur to toilets (wax ring seal) and electrical wiring around a building?

My roommate recently discovered bed bugs in his room after suffering mysterious bites since November. He is the only one that has been getting bitten or seen bed bugs (or the rest of us are just not reacting to bites and haven't been able to find them in our rooms while searching.)

Our apartment unit was rigged up very fast and was poorly done. Additionally, our landlord is extremely cheap and it is often a huge production and fight just to get him to pay for things he is legally required to pay for by law. We have broken lights, a leaky window, and other issues that have been ignored for over a year - but we're unable to move right now due to lack of money. He only agreed to pay for this bed bug treatment, because the bugs could easily spread to other units in the building and then he would have to pay even more - but I am extremely distressed thinking about how long we might have to wait if something gets damaged by the heat inside of the apartment.

2. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 1 2017 22:51:42
    #

Login to Send PM

At 140 I wouldn't really worry too much about the apt. itself, more likely personal belongings would be what takes the brunt of it. If there is any damage to the apt. you could send him a letter(even certified) stating the damage and that you'd like it repaired in a timely manner. There may even be laws on how long he has to address any issues like that. Then if no response or issues are not resolved, you could contact some sort of housing authority and make a complaint. After a certain amount of time you may be able to make the repairs yourself and then withhold rent but I would research other options before going that route.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 8 2017 11:52:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Just reporting back that the heat treatment went well. Even items I thought for sure would be damaged (my PCO told me it was okay to leave behind a Roomba and a large flatscreen TV that had a lower max storage temperature than 140) - and everything works fine.

Now just have to hope the heat treatment worked without spreading them to other places.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,005 posts in 49,870 topics over 154 months by 21,824 of 22,292 members. Latest: bnorth, Nl9045, Sairuhh