Neighbors garbage..

(20 posts)
  1. BBbuhbye

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 18:10:55
    #

Login to Send PM

What are the odds of bed bugs migrating from a detached neighbors very old and run down home and/or their infested garbage to your home that's only a few feet away? I couldn't help but notice my neighbor discarded a mattress that seems to be heavily soiled in fecal matter today. When I spoke with her yesterday, she had mentioned that she had bought her granddaughter a new bed and mattress and didn't say much else. I couldn't help (due to anxiety and trying to help a poor soul before it could get worse) but knock on the door and ask if she were aware because of the way the mattress looked and she said it was her cousins and that she gave him her granddaughters old mattress and that he hasn't said anything. Her and the granddaughter don't have any bites (not that it's always an indicator, I know) but she also said her and the granddaughter don't react to bug bites in general and that the cousin is the only one that does seem to and she said she noticed he'd been itching and had "spots" but that he also has always had bad skin. She said she'd be pissed at her cousin if he did have them and never said anything and she asked what she should do, so I told her to call a decent pest company and have them come take a look and that they shouldn't charge her to do so. I highly doubt it's black mold, but I guess you never know? They did half assedly "wrap" the mattress in the new mattresses plastic wrap/bag it came in, so iono... I just really hope if they did have them that they don't migrate over here. It's hard enough dealing with being in constant fear with the attached neighbors going on vacations constantly and thinking of them possibly bringing back bed bugs The detached neighbor said she's going to have to check her cousins room in secret and see what she finds. She said he has piles and piles of old books and stuff and I told her they can hide anywhere and she got wide eyed and shook her head. She also mentioned she's had them in the past, so she remembers what they look like.

Here's to hoping that she doesn't have them and that if she does, they don't come knocking on my door

"Wisdom is the reward for surviving our own stupidity."
  2. BBbuhbye

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 18:14:55
    #

Login to Send PM

May I also add that she didn't want to bother with going to look at the mattress and how it looked in the trash which I found odd. And after I spoke with her, I heard and saw her taking out another piece of furniture. Looked like a small dresser or something of the sort..

3. bedbugsbugme

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 18:42:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Pull the plastic corner off on the box spring. They'll be hiding in there if there are any. If it's just a mattress flip the seams in the corner or look at the tag. If there are spots then there are bugs.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  4. BBbuhbye

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 18:50:40
    #

Login to Send PM

There's only a discarded mattress in the trash that I can clearly see is covered in black spots all along the seams. I've had bed bugs before and caught them fairly early and was treated. I've moved quite a bit since then (after a successful treatment of course) and so I know what to look for. She said she's had them in the past, so I'm hoping she knows what to look for as well when she goes to investigate her cousins room and wherever else she wants to look. Trash pickup doesn't come for another 6 days, so I'm just hoping they don't migrate here from trash or possible home treatment :/ the trash is in very close proximity to the front of my home and my car :/

5. bedbugsbugme

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 19:00:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe you can take some tape and try seal that mattress in the bag better. Just be careful not to flop it around too much as bugs can get dislodged.

6. BBbuhbye

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 19:03:20
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 29 seconds ago  » 
    Maybe you can take some tape and try seal that mattress in the bag better. Just be careful not to flop it around too much as bugs can get dislodged.

She said she was going to make the cousin wrap it up some more. As mentioned it's the neighbors home next door that's detached. They put their garbage out front closer to my side. I just hope in the next 6 days or if she ends up getting her whole house treated (it's a double style house and no one lives in the side closest to me) that they don't come over here or get into my car that's right in front of where they put their garbage.

I honestly don't want to go anywhere near their garbage or house now. So there's no me touching any of it. Bad enough I'll have to park over there and load my kids out and into the car :/

I wonder if when the garbage does get onto a truck if any bugs will linger after it's all gone.

Ugh.. the anxiety is just building up and up man, lol.

7. BBbuhbye

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 19:11:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to give you an idea of how close it all is :/

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jul 29 2017 22:07:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert but my understanding is you don't have a lot of risk from an unattached neighbor as long as you don't have intervisitation or taking in their discarded things. I agree with your not touching the mattress.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. BBbuhbye

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Aug 2 2017 21:21:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Worst fears confirmed upon closer inspection of the mattress which is now out on the curb: BED BUGS. I really really hope they don't migrate over here :/ my landlord said he sprayed everywhere a few days prior for centipedes, and we are both hoping that'd help if anything did decide to stroll over here. I won't park out front anymore. I won't walk anywhere near their house or where their garbage was. No thanks.

I need some reassurance that nothing is going to walk on over here :/ I won't even open my windows anymore

10. BBbuhbye

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Aug 2 2017 21:23:15
    #

Login to Send PM

May I add that when I looked up close, I sort of poked the bugs I saw, and they were crunchy inside the bag. I don't know if they were just casts or actual bugs (they were a bit darker in color), but either way CRUNCH.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 3 2017 1:30:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Meliha - 4 hours ago  » 

I need some reassurance that nothing is going to walk on over here :/ I won't even open my windows anymore

Did you read my post above?

12. BBbuhbye

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 3 2017 5:45:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 4 hours ago  » 

Meliha - 4 hours ago  » 

Did you read my post above?

I did. I should have replied, and I'm sorry I didn't. I've been far too busy freaking out and "what if-ing" everything :/

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 3 2017 6:18:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Unless you or your kids are playing the mattress the risk is effectively zero.

However, rather than isolating from the person with the issue you should try and engage and be supportive with good information. Too many people try to fight this alone and follow the worst of advice.

This is a lot of what "spread the word and not the bed bugs" is all about.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  14. BBbuhbye

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 3 2017 7:56:30
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi,
    Unless you or your kids are playing the mattress the risk is effectively zero.
    However, rather than isolating from the person with the issue you should try and engage and be supportive with good information. Too many people try to fight this alone and follow the worst of advice.
    This is a lot of what "spread the word and not the bed bugs" is all about.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

David, thank you for your response. Makes me feel a bit better. As far as talking to her about it, I tried. She didn't really seem to wanna, though I believe she said she's had them in the past? She wouldn't even walk down to see the mattress, so I don't know :/ I'm just really happy the garbage people took the mattress and the other trash they put out. They still have some stuff out front of their house that I'm really hoping isn't infested. Either way, I can't bring my self to sitting on my porch or parking my car out front anymore

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 3 2017 8:57:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would "put the big pants on" and park as well as sit outside.

Disrupting your life because of a zero risk is allowing the situation to a have a negative impact on you. While that may seem sensible it actually feeds the anxiety process at a mental and biochemical level and its a roller coaster that is not healthy for most.

If you want to say thanks post a pic of you enjoying the outdoor space. I live in one of the most densely populated cities in the world, most months I have mattresses and infested items dumped with 30 foot of my front door. It's so common I no longer take pictures.

David

16. BBbuhbye

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 3 2017 9:55:18
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 54 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    I would "put the big pants on" and park as well as sit outside.
    Disrupting your life because of a zero risk is allowing the situation to a have a negative impact on you. While that may seem sensible it actually feeds the anxiety process at a mental and biochemical level and its a roller coaster that is not healthy for most.
    If you want to say thanks post a pic of you enjoying the outdoor space. I live in one of the most densely populated cities in the world, most months I have mattresses and infested items dumped with 30 foot of my front door. It's so common I no longer take pictures.
    David

I honestly wish it were that easy for me. My mental health practically deteriorated back in 2015 when I actually had bed bugs. I haven't been the same since. PTSD and OCD has taken over my life. It all pretty much comes in waves, it sucks. I did begin therapy back then too, but I had to unfortunately stop. Trying to find a therapist who works weekends is almost impossible too. It stinks. Dealing with the other bugs I see in my apartment and then seeing that mattress was enough to throw me right over the edge. Thankfully I will be moving soon. I'm hoping I won't have any pest issues where we move next and our neighbors are far far away, lol.

17. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 3 2017 11:28:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If it helps I understand that no-one has perfect mental health, we all dance with the black dog, sit on the spectrum and many have to either recover from or adapt to our circumstances.

If you read what I have written about the psychology of bed bugs and anxiety you will hopefully appreciate that self preservation instincts can be good things but they are often a little magnetic at times.

I was once assessed by a client who I later found out was a behavioral psychologist who could only say that they found the fact that I had built a niche around aspects of my being that others would find it hard to integrate with. To me this was borne out of the fact that I could no longer be who I was so I had to adapt to what skills and abilities I had. Its a long journey and rarely all up hill.

Still hoping for that image though.

David

18. BBbuhbye

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 4 2017 9:33:04
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 22 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    If it helps I understand that no-one has perfect mental health, we all dance with the black dog, sit on the spectrum and many have to either recover from or adapt to our circumstances.
    If you read what I have written about the psychology of bed bugs and anxiety you will hopefully appreciate that self preservation instincts can be good things but they are often a little magnetic at times.
    I was once assessed by a client who I later found out was a behavioral psychologist who could only say that they found the fact that I had built a niche around aspects of my being that others would find it hard to integrate with. To me this was borne out of the fact that I could no longer be who I was so I had to adapt to what skills and abilities I had. Its a long journey and rarely all up hill.
    Still hoping for that image though.
    David

Was it an article you had written? If so, here can I find it? I hope to one day either be over my bed bug anxiety issues or atleast learn better ways of coping with my fear of them. We shall see.

I found another masked hunter nymph in my bathroom and that's sort of freaking me out. I don't know if they fly or how many eggs the mama ones lay. I don't know where they're hiding in there either. Would DE kill them? Should I be worried? I know they love bed bugs and carpet beetles, and we have plenty of carpet beetles here I'm just afraid of my four year old or two month old being bitten

19. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 4 2017 10:09:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Try:

http://www.bed-bugs.cop.uk/schrodingersbedbug
    http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/occamsbedbug

Then stop by:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/relaxation

While you remain in a heightened state you will continue to bounce from one crisis event to another feeding that emotional roller coaster and not being able to get off.

Once you have worked through those resources and are in a better state of mindfulness I am willing to walk you through an explanation of the other issues that you perceive and ultimately what simple and constructive things you can do to mitigate that anxiety triggers.

I promise you that you will come to see this as more empowering than you first realized but you have to sometimes ready yourself for learning to take on board the lessons.

David

20. BBbuhbye

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 4 2017 12:20:01
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

Thank you so much for providing all of this for me. I really appreciate it. Maybe if my kids ever let me focus enough, I can actually put it all into play, lol. The first link didn't work, but I realized it was because of the "COP.uk" instead of "CO.uk".

I couldn't imagine the amount of us "crazy" folk you and those who are pro's here deal with on the daily, lol. Thank you for being so patient and kind, seriously. Google has helped me learn and identify too many types of bug species, lmao. I was always told to stay away from the world of google, but i can't help it x) so far in this apartment I've come across different types of ants and spiders, flies, all sorts of beetles, book lice, centipedes and now the masked hunter. The house I live in is super old and not well kept. The basement isn't finished and anything can get in through the walls down there. It's also very humid as well. I've learned so many lessons and learned exactly what to look for whenever we move to a new place next.

With my husband being in the navy, I assume we'll move quite a bit 😅

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,349 posts in 46,297 topics over 141 months by 20,409 of 21,248 members. Latest: nobugsinmanhattan, newbugpanic, berry1