Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Neighbor w/ BB - URGENT DECISION

(7 posts)
  1. hegemon1

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2007 14:01:42
    #

Login to Send PM

2 days away from crisis, ADVICE PLEASE ASAP PLEEEEASE

Im living in South Korea. My neighbor has bedbugs. Long story short, she is the first confirmed bed bug case in South Korea in years (she has 30 bites and has been feeling them seriously for the past 2-3 weeks only, tests showed many bed bug eggs under her floor). Shes throwing out all her stuff and leaving on Tuesday (Christmas day). Its now early Sunday morning. The landlord is moving very very slowly on this, the room is being STUDIED by professors since its such a novel problem. Question:

1) I have no itchyness, no blood stains on my sheets, no sign of any bedbugs - still is it likely that I have them now, or are they more likely to be sticking around my infested neighbor's room.

2) If I pack up all my stuff now and get out, will I be safe?

3) My neighbor leaves Tuesday. The other neighbor on the other side of her room is on vacation. So I am the only person in an adjacent room next to her. How long will it take for the bed bugs to find their way here - is it days, weeks, months?

4) Do you recommend I pack up everything and get out ASAP to avoid this problem, or is it too late and I have to treat my stuff like its already infested?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2007 15:26:54
    #

Login to Send PM

1--You may or may not already have them. Some say as many as 70% of people may not react to bed bug bites. They may even have started in your home and you could have no idea they are there. I am not saying this happened, but you should realize it is fully possible to be bitten and have bed bugs for a long time and not realize it.

2--No. Because they may already be in your home and stuff.

3--They may already have done so. Please do not panic. 30 bites over 2-3 weeks actually may not be that many bugs. It needs to be seriously dealt with, but could be a lot worse.

4--I'd be very cautious. Read the FAQs (FAQs button below) esp. the ones at the top under Bed Bugs 101. Especially the "do's and don'ts".

The solution for bed bugs is not moving, but treatment. Your neighbor may throw away almost all her stuff and still bring bed bugs.

I also would seriously doubt your neighbor is the first in South Korea to have bed bugs, even if this has not been confirmed before. They appear to be everywhere now. Even if pest control people there are not already fighting bed bugs, they will have substances which can do it. And they can make contact with entomologists abroad who can help.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. hegemon1

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2007 17:15:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the reply. My neighbor is at a stage where she sees major blood spots on her sheets. I dont have that. Even if I had BB but no itchyness symptoms, I wouldve thought Id have bloody spots.

No this isnt the first BB infestation in Korea, but its the first documented one. And the pest control people are baffled so I dont think they'll be much help.

How long does it take them to travel between between rooms? My neighbor has never been in my room, nor I into her room, so I was optimistic. Ive also had no blood spots. Frankly I think I am a few days from a bed bug problem and am thinking I may be able to avoid the nightmare by moving out like tomorrow. I think Im definitely going to be very unsafe starting Tuesday night, when my neighbor moves out.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Dec 23 2007 4:46:17
    #

Login to Send PM

It's likely to be worse, though you may never react to bites and may never notice.
    Many people don't see blood spots, hegemon. Trust me when I tell you many people have no idea until they see one scurrying across their sheets. And that can be after months and months.

I am not saying you should not flee if that is an option. However, you need to assume you already have them, and act accordingly.

If local professors and PCOs are able to read English there is a lot of information online and they could connect with their counterparts abroad who I am sure would advise them.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jan 11 2008 8:13:48
    #

Login to Send PM

FYI the first commenter on this post seems to be in Korea and thinks they have bed bugs:
    http://superherosewingcircle.com/2008/01/10/everyones-favorite-topic/

But perhaps it was just empathy. (Lots of people still think bed bugs = dust mites.) Still, thought I would throw it out there.

6. Bugless

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jan 11 2008 8:54:45
    #

Login to Send PM

What are you waiting for, Hegemon? Get out of there, fast!

Make sure everything you take with you is bedbug-free. If you have to abandon some of your stuff there, so be it. Cost should be no object.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 20 2009 0:33:57
    #

Login to Send PM

This is an OLD thread. I am only posting because I referenced it here:
    http://bedbugger.com/2009/01/20/korea-claims-it-has-first-bed-bug-case-in-20-years/

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,827 posts in 49,817 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316